Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2010 12:14:29 PM EDT
< As the other poster pointed out - you can edit your bad post (or ask a mod to move it) - F >
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Haha sorry, pasted the wrong thing, what is the difference between a post ban ar15 and a pre ban ar15?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
you could always edit your original post you know.

preban is an AR manufactured before the federal all weapon ban in (i believe) october of 1994. the ban ended in (i believe) 20012004. post ban is a rifle or reciever made after the start of the federal all weapon ban. states such as CT, MA, NY, and (i believe) NJ still have the ban (or parts there of) in effect. it is illegal to have a pre ban configured rifle in these states unless you have a preban lower reciever made before the start of the federal all weapon ban. A post-ban rifle consists of PERMANTLY attached MUZZLE BRAKE (no flash hiders allowed ) and a non-collapsible or non-folding stock. Also no bayonet lug because everyone actually attaches knives to their weapons.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Wikipedia Article on the Ban

The ban went from 1994 and "sunsetted" in 2003.

Some states have kept provisions of the ban in place, in most places, post ban / pre ban means nothing anymore.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Pre-bans were made prior to the assault weapon ban of 1994.  Post-bans were made DURING the ban.  I'm pretty sure anything you buy new today would be called a non-ban, since even though they have the same legal status as a pre-ban, they weren't made before the ban.  Post-ban weapons could only have a detachable magazine and one of the following: Folding/collapsing stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, capable of firing a muzzle mounted rifle-grenade (like WWII style, because, you know, that's a problem here in the US).

The A2 flash suppressor is both a suppressor AND a mount for some type of rifle-grenade, so it counts as two.

With minor cosmetic fixes, all the manufacturers complied and made a weapon that was still just as capable as a pre-ban.  I mean come on!  All that ban did was create a grey-market (sometimes black).  I'm gonna be the devil's advocate and say that if you're gonna do something, don't half ass it.  That ban wasn't what the anti-gun people wanted and it was a (somewhat minor, but expenisve) inconvenience for pro-gun people.  Nobody got anything out of it.

I think post-ban AR's still legally have to be within the bounds of the ban.  Basically, even though the ban no longer applies to newly manufactured weapons, you still legally cannot stick a 30-round p-mag in an AR that you bought in 1998 or put a nice new collapsable stock on it, etc.
< That is incorrect - please don't post what you don't know about - F>
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
<Please don't repeat the other posters bad information - F >

Close... mags are seperate items. If you live in a Ban state, you can only have 10 round or pre-ban 11+ round mags. There is no issue even in the Ban states about putting a preban 30 round mag in a Post-Ban or no-Ban rifle or pistol. (ok, maybe there's a problem in places like NJ who I believe has a 15 round limit...)

I used to hear that all the time... "Your pistol was made after the 94 ban, so it's illegal to put any high-cap mag in it" - complete and utter misinformation. Pistol/Rifle features and Magazines are distinct and separate issues that just happen to have been wrapped up in the same law.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#6]
<No he wasn't - F >

Um, ......  You sure about that?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pre-bans were made prior to the assault weapon ban of 1994.  Post-bans were made DURING the ban.  I'm pretty sure anything you buy new today would be called a non-ban, since even though they have the same legal status as a pre-ban, they weren't made before the ban.  Post-ban weapons could only have a detachable magazine and one of the following: Folding/collapsing stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, capable of firing a muzzle mounted rifle-grenade (like WWII style, because, you know, that's a problem here in the US).

The A2 flash suppressor is both a suppressor AND a mount for some type of rifle-grenade, so it counts as two.

With minor cosmetic fixes, all the manufacturers complied and made a weapon that was still just as capable as a pre-ban.  I mean come on!  All that ban did was create a grey-market (sometimes black).  I'm gonna be the devil's advocate and say that if you're gonna do something, don't half ass it.  That ban wasn't what the anti-gun people wanted and it was a (somewhat minor, but expenisve) inconvenience for pro-gun people.  Nobody got anything out of it.

I think post-ban AR's still legally have to be within the bounds of the ban.  Basically, even though the ban no longer applies to newly manufactured weapons, you still legally cannot stick a 30-round p-mag in an AR that you bought in 1998 or put a nice new collapsable stock on it, etc.
< That is incorrect - please don't post what you don't know about - F>

That's why I added the "I think" part.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top