Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 5:17:08 PM EDT
First time owner and never shot it... Doing some lubing..

Is the bolt assembly suppose to cause some friction when inside of the bolt carrier? I realized that unless i let go of the charging handle completely, (If i eased on the charging handle) the bolt carrier will NOT sit all the way to the chamber. YES, the charging handle is locked! There are 2-3 "C" clips (number 11 on drawing)  on the end of the bolt assembly and seems like those are causing the friction...

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are gas rings, not "C clips", and yes they are supposed to fit tightly within the carrier to prevent gas leaks.  Think pistons in an engine cylinder.  You are not supposed to ride the charging handle when closing the bolt, but if you do and the bolt isn't locking (completely forward), hit the forward assist a few times, that's what it's for.

Here is a very useful reference:   http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
i dry fired the gun even when the bolt carrier isn't all the way up to the chamber and it worked too? now what if i had a round in the chamber and did that? would be like firing a handgun out of battery or whatever you call it...

thanks for the link... okay, so i'm suppose to let the charging handle slam...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Lube well and don't baby it, but don't abuse it either.  When there is a round in the magazine, let it slam home to chamber.  When empty ride it home and use the FA to close till you wear it in then it will close on its own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Think about it this way––––––This design is good to go when the bolt is hammering back and forth at a good clip when in full auto operation . Semi operation is a breeze compared to full auto and
when you are manually dropping the bolt it is really quite gentle by comparison . Let that charging handle fly!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i dry fired the gun even when the bolt carrier isn't all the way up to the chamber and it worked too? now what if i had a round in the chamber and did that? would be like firing a handgun out of battery or whatever you call it...

thanks for the link... okay, so i'm suppose to let the charging handle slam...

The bolt carrier prevents the firing pin from hitting the primer until it is all the way forward. It won't fire until the bolt carrier is all the way forward and therefore the bolt will be inside the barrrel extension. OOBs only happen when you use .22lr conversions.
Dustin
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If you didn't have the "friction" then your rifle wouldn't cycle properly.

With a good condition bolt carrier group, you should be able to pick the group by the bolt and the carrier shouldn't slide down and rotate.

Bolt Carrier Group

Now Rotate/Push bolt in:

Now pick it up vertically by the bolt, the carrier shouldn't slide down.

If it does slide down it may be time to replace your gas rings
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top