Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 3:59:27 PM EDT
I'm in the process of building a beater rifle for friends and family to shoot and practice with. It's going to be an A2 Iron sites only rifle and I'm debating on whether to go with a 14.5' pinned or a 16" barrel assembly. the reason I'm going with the carbine gas is because I already had a set of Magpul MOE hand guards to go along with the MOE stock and grip. Please don't let this turn into a debate about how middy is better than carbine blah blah blah stuff cause I already know those facts and opinions..I'm just unsure about buying the 14.5" pinned in case I want to change things down the road..What's the hive suggest?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I personally prefer the 14.5" in a carbine. All six of mine are 14.5" with permed FHs or SBRed. I find them much handier and frankly, that 16" barrel with the M203 cut looks kinda gawky. My opinion only of course.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If you think you're going to change up your sight or handguard arrangement, then 16" is the way to go.  I went 16" just to not hassle with a pinned flash hider.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you think you're going to change up your sight or handguard arrangement, then 16" is the way to go.  I went 16" just to not hassle with a pinned flash hider.

I have plenty of other AR's and this one came about after jcrowl posted a thread about spare parts..all I'm missimg is the barrel assembly and I do not intend tho change this one out at all after it's done..I may sell it one day though..
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well I personally prefer the 14.5" in a carbine. All six of mine are 14.5" with permed FHs or SBRed. I find them much handier and frankly, that 16" barrel with the M203 cut looks kinda gawky. My opinion only of course.

i love the looks of the 14.5" too but, I was just worried about resale down the road it were were to go that route with the 14.5 pinned..
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.03designgroup.com/photo/carbine-vs-midlength/icon-carbine-vs-midlength.jpg
03designgroup | <a href="http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/carbine-vs-mid-length-gas-system" target="_blank">Carbine vs. Mid-Length Gas System on a 16" Barrel http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png</a>

Keep in mind that the
-14.5" with carbine length gas system  
-16" with mid-length gas system
-18" with intermediate gas system
-20" with rifle length gas system have approximately the same dwell time (distance from the gas port to the end of the barrel).

Click on this link:  http://www.bushmaster.com/anatomy_bushmaster.asp - then click on "SPLIT" at the bottom of the screen.  Then watch the cycle of operation.  Note where the gas port (gas hole) is located.  Watch as the bullet travels down the barrel and past the gas port.  Think about the information I posted above.  If the barrel were longer, it will result in more gas being pumped into the gas tube and into the action of the carbine.  More gas equals more force, more force equals a higher recoil impulse.  

Kind of hard to explain on the internet, much easier to show someone face to face.

Hope this makes sense.

makes perfect sense..thanks for the link and I appreciate the info..
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
14.7" would be better. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
14.7" would be better. YMMV

who offers a 14.7 barrel assembly?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not go with a snub nose?  The added velocity and sight radius doesn't help with longer range accuracy, right???
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
14.5" for carbine gas system, and 16" for midlength. Since you want a carbine gas system, I voted for 14.5.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
14.5" for carbine gas system, and 16" for midlength. Since you want a carbine gas system, I voted for 14.5.

This is my current thinking, too.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:00:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Been considering this question myself, however it seems to be a better option to go with a 16" mid length, and not have to pin a FH. Gives you more options later.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Been considering this question myself, however it seems to be a better option to go with a 16" mid length, and not have to pin a FH. Gives you more options later.

I wouldn't hesitate to get the 16" middy but, I'm using a carbine due to all the parts I had laying around..This isn't going to be a go to rifle but just an extra one for others to use and maybe a truck rifle that gets beat to hell...An A2 Iron sites only KISS..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top