Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 8:09:54 AM EDT
I installed a pivot pin on a lower and the pin had an bur on it and scratched the heck out of the pivot pin hole. I want to remove the pin so I can touch the affected area up with some Birchwood Casey alumablack. How do I get it out? Is there a special tool or technique?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a straight pick tool to push down on the detent while the pin is in the out position. Then pull the pin all the way out.
Just make sure the detent and spring dont go flying across the roon..
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a tool that you can purchase (probably from Midway or Brownells....I have one, but don't know where I got it), or, if you have an Army TM manual (posted on this site I think, but I can't find it now) it shows how to make one from an Allen wrench.  Basically you take an Allen wrench that is small enough to slip inside the groove of the pivot pin, and grind a bevel on the end.  You then slip the tool inside the groove from inside the receiver (over the mag well) so that the bevel depresses the detent pin.  The pivot pin can then be slid out.

Here's the link from Brownells:
Pivot Pin Installation Tool
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used a thin feeler gauge (and even a thin metal machinist's ruler) to remove them.  It's also how I install them - just use the thin metal slab to depress the detent and pull the pin out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys! I will try that tonight and see how it goes. Come to think of it, I have the army manual for the M16, I think I remember the part showing how to make the tool. I've got a bunch of old crappy allen wrenches that would work great for making a tool.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Check TM -23 to make some of the tools, including this one
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Wear saftey glasses.
There should be a hole opposite the detent once the pivot pin is pulled out that you can see. You insert a 1/16" punch in the hole and press down on the detent untill you can rotate the pivot pin slightly to capture the detent in the pressed down postion. Then remove the pin keeping in mind that the detent is under spring pressure and will fly out when the pivot pin is removed.
If your pivot pin does not have the hole it is an old one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#7]
The Brownells installation tool is just that, for installation.  It won't do you any good taking it out.  

Several other posters detailed methods of removal......watch out for flying parts.

woofe
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I was too lazy to make the tool so I just used a razor blade...it worked ok. Next time I will check to make sure the pins fit well so I don't have to take the thing apart again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Brownells installation tool is just that, for installation.  It won't do you any good taking it out.  

Several other posters detailed methods of removal......watch out for flying parts.

woofe

I have a tool - not sure if it came from Brownells or not - but it is similar to the one in the link I posted, and it IS cut to both install and remove the detent.  Maybe they've changed the tool since I bought mine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top