Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:06:57 AM EDT
Do you guys use a brass catcher on your AR at the range or are they just more of a PITA?
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
i uses one but they can be finicky    .
i also pick up range brass  so with the catcher i can  sort ands keep separate  my already prepped ones
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Putiton. I thought of setting a cardboard box to the side to try to catch most of the brass and keep from hitting the concrete. Wasn't sure if a catcher would be better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#3]
In a pinch this will do

Link Posted: 3/2/2010 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I use one of the UTG net style ones with the zipper on the bottom.

Works great for static shooting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I use one of the UTG net style ones with the zipper on the bottom.

Works great for static shooting.
+1  Every once in awhile a case will hang up but works great.

Link Posted: 3/2/2010 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I always spread a green poly tarp, makes the brass real easy to pick up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I always spread a green poly tarp, makes the brass real easy to pick up.

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]
My brass catcher is my 8 & 12 year olds. Though thay can be expensive to feed they are very reliable. so far 1000's of rounds and no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#9]
At the bench, I just drape a cloth over the scope which then covers the action and the brass just falls straight down.  It works very well.

Adrian
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My brass catcher is my 8 & 12 year olds. Though thay can be expensive to feed they are very reliable. so far 1000's of rounds and no malfunctions.

i gotta get me one of those
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a UTG and I rate it as "I need to get something better than this." One of its worst features is that hot brass sometimes melts itself into the bag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#12]
i hate picking up brass....makes me feel like im at work

i saw what looked like a good brass catcher and now i cant find where it was.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#13]
3Bucc.

That's all I got to say about that!
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
This is what I have:

You do have to keep the mesh from getting bunched up, but otherwise it's fine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is what I have:
http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/145178_ts.JPG?cell=320,320&cvt=jpeg

Is that a .357 pistol grip in that pictured AR
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
At the bench, I just drape a cloth over the scope which then covers the action and the brass just falls straight down.  It works very well.

Adrian

This is what I do when bench shooting and out of courtesy to the shooter next to me so my brass doesn't hit them..
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
There is very little in the world that is more gay than a brass catcher.....seriously, if you are that scared of bending over to snatch a couple cases off the ground then you are eithe r abench rest fudd or entirely uncool :)
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what I have:

Is that a .357 pistol grip in that pictured AR

Yeah.  I think it's a Hogue grip.  Kind of funky, eh?  But I should point out that I "borrowed" the picture from Sportsman's Guide, so that may say something about the picture...
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used a cardboard box and it works fine. If I throw everything I'm taking to the bench in it, it doesn't seem like a burden to haul.

I have also used brass deflectors. They simply knock the brass straight down so you don't have far to go and you lose very few that way. They tend to dent the brass.

I've seen people hang a clothes line at my club to the right of their shooting position and drape an old sheet over it. That seemed to catch everything from going too far by knocking it to the ground..

I also have several brands of brass catchers and have experienced melted netting and occasional jams when using them.

I like the clothes line and sheet idea and may try that. It seems if your firing position is covered that would be easy to set up. You could easily arrainge the sheet so it captures the brass instead of just knocking it down. My cardboard box works well too and doesn't limit my field of view at the club.

At tournaments I try to position my shooting stool so it blocks the brass from going too far. This only works in prone 100% of the time, only ocasionally will it catch them in sitting and never while standing. If you leave the stool unzipped in prone most of the brass will get collected inside of it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
The grip is a Pachmayr (spelling) AR grip
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The grip is a Pachmayr (spelling) AR grip

You're right.  I thought Hogue sounded wrong...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try some of them and see what works for me at the range,
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#23]
A rigid brass catcher is a better set up than the floppy mesh bag which will sag after about 20 rounds and may block the ejection port. It's made of kydex and snaps over the upper. Here's where I got mine 10 years ago: www.brasscatchers.com

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I started using one when I started shooting 6.8 at the local public range.
I use a bench mounted one instead of a weapon mounted one.
I really like it and it doesn't interfere with manipulating the weapon or aiming/firing.

I paid about half of what midway is now listing it at.  I don't think I would pay the new price.
You could rig up something very similar with a cheap fishing net and a couple of clamps.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=942827

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is very little in the world that is more gay than a brass catcher.....seriously, if you are that scared of bending over to snatch a couple cases off the ground then you are eithe r abench rest fudd or entirely uncool :)

You have jumped the shark.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Please remember that this is a Technical Forum.  -G
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I keep telling myself to get one of these. Our range here is pretty packed, and the benches are squeezed close together to fit as many people possible. The AR's aren't too bad since the deflector deflects it off to the front/back, however I've seen other people launching brass at other shooters. Not to mention it'll be easier to segregate my brass from other people's brass on the ground when collecting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#28]
One range I go to says that brass that hits the ground is theirs...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One range I go to says that brass that hits the ground is theirs...

I would tell them "goodbye" then....

Oh, any any trucks that touch my driveway with their tires.....well those tires are mine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#30]
only time i had a malfunction with my AR15 was when i used a strap-on one brass catcher that the range made me use. never again, i don't reload anyway and am a too lazy to pick up the brass.... that bench-mounted one looks like what i'd get if i really wanted my brass
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is what I have:

I have a few of these and they work fine.  I find they work best when the velcro strap is really tight.

Some events require brass ejection to be controlled so a brass catcher is ideal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#32]
The UTG catcher illustrated by GHPorter does work good.  Some people have problems with the hot brass melting the mesh, but that is easily remedied by cutting out a piece of plastic from a milk jug and slipping it inside the bag so that it covers the mesh.  The other trick I have heard people use is to open the zipper at the bottom so that the brass just gets deflected and fall through into a box or something.

What I find useful about this method say compared to picking it up from the ground (apart from the work and loss brass) is that if there is more than one shooter around, you know which ones are yours and more importantly how many reloading cycles the brass has gone through.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#33]
the 3bucc is the best I have used and I tried most off them it has a rail mount and is solid, you can check it out at 3bucc.com
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to order one of the UTG ones.  They are on sale at Midway for $8.  I guess if it sucks, I'm not out much.  My range is my backyard.  I've been laying out a tarp, but that is a PITA to move around.  I don't understand the point of the bench mounted catcher as you can't stand up and shoot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top