Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2010 5:49:30 PM EDT
Which parts (including any pins, springs, etc...) on the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 are proprietary and can not be swapped for standard AR15 parts.  If any, which parts are unique to the SR-15 yet standard AR15 parts can be used and the rifle will cycle reliably?  Also which tools would be needed to completely disassemble an SR-15 that would not be needed for other AR15s?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as tools go they have a special wrench to remove the handguard and barrel. The handguard has a specil barrel nut as well. The bolt is different then standard bolts although I don't know if one could replace it with a generic one. Also I was under the impression the gas tube is longer then a standard mid lenght one although I'm sure someone can chime in.

As far as the lower goes it has an ambi bolt release. Rest of the lower parts should swap with a standard lower.

At least the above is my understanding. I don't have one of their rifles. I do plan on picking up one of their complete lowers at some point to sbr though(or maybe a complete factory sbr if they release them if I can afford it).
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got an SR15 E3 upper. As far as I can tell, the proprietary parts include: Barrel extension, bolt, extractor, firing pin, cam pin, and gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to those who posted!

Does anyone know where the KAC tools can be purchased?
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks to those who posted!

Does anyone know where the KAC tools can be purchased?

You don't even want to go down that road unless your pockets are mighty deep...  One place I've seen tools advertised is at Operation Parts.

Spooky

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Can a standard bolt be installed if a standard carrier is installed (or will a standard bcg fit and function)?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as I know the lugs on a KAC are larger than standard.

How many rounds a year do you plan on shooting that you are concenred about wearing out the parts on this rifle?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
To be honest I haven't even shot it yet, although I have a couple thousand rounds that I'm waiting to be delivered specifically for it...  I just like to know that if I ever need a part, I will be able to find one.  If standard parts will not work, I'll have to pick up a spare e3 bolt...not that I may never need it, but I'll have it just in case.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the best suggestion is to try and contact KAC directly.  There are a few people on the boards from KAC as well.  They tend to be very helpful when it comes to their products.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
They have an industry forum here now

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=381
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top