Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:52:36 AM EDT
is it possible to use a m4 receiver with a non m4 barrel?
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a good idea, the bullet tip can get hung up and not feed. see below.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
is this something that i could do myself?  i've noticed that almost every flat top receiver i look at has the cuts.  i have an older essential arms a2 upper that i would like to turn into a flat top.  this is why i am asking questions.  thanks for all the info and help.  this forum i really helpful.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
is this something that i could do myself?  i've noticed that almost every flat top receiver i look at has the cuts.  i have an older essential arms a2 upper that i would like to turn into a flat top.  this is why i am asking questions.  thanks for all the info and help.  this forum i really helpful.

Can you? Possibly, but the cost of machining a flattop out of an A2 is going to cost you more than just buying a new A3 receiver.

As for the feedramps, some people on this site have had good results with a dremel tool, but it's a risk.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-assembly-M4-Flat-Top-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%202.htm
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
sorry, i probably didn't explain that correctly.  i don't want to machine my a2, the barrel that i have does not have the m4 cuts in the barrel extention.  i plan on buying a new flat top receiver, i just wanted to keep my 20 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
sorry, i probably didn't explain that correctly.  i don't want to machine my a2, the barrel that i have does not have the m4 cuts in the barrel extention.  i plan on buying a new flat top receiver, i just wanted to keep my 20 inch barrel.

There are flat top uppers that don't have M4 cuts. I've seen a few pop up in the EE, but I can't remember the manufacturers. Just keep looking around. You'll find one in no time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then you want to buy a rifle flat top receiver. Here is is the graphic again with labels:

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Or, take a round file and file your barrel extension ramps to match the ramps in the A3 receiver. That way you can put your old barrel in the new receiver with no worries. The only alternative is a flattop without M4 cuts like they said above.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Either dremel your barrel extension to match the m4 cuts, or pick up a rifle receiver from Bravo Company.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the expanation and the pics, i will probably be doing a little filing
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Ah!! Now I see. Thanks for the photos

Eric
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top