Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2010 10:38:51 PM EDT
what are the pros and cons of 5.5" flash hiders? what length barrel do you need to make your barrel legal length?
is a barrel with a pinned 5.5" flash hider lighter than a 16" barrel?
anyone have pictures of the different types?
anyone have pictures of rifles with the 5.5" flash hiders?

I searched, but didnt find anything from the last 3 months
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't see anything positive about a 5.5" flash hider other that bringing a 11.5" barrel to the 16" minimum length.  Even then, I don't know why a person wouldn't just get a 16" barrel.  Maybe there is a good reason for them, if so I hope someone comes along and states it so I can learn.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the idea is to bring a 10.5 inch to the minimum 16 inches. I suspect the primary reason is asthetics, with no intent on ever shortening the barrel legally. The other reason I can think of, is to be able to go ahead and build a rifle, while waiting on ATF paperwork for an SBR. I think there is a thread here somewhere on how to remove a permanently installed 5.5 inch flash hider when the paperwork comes.

I have been considering this option for a 9mm build, with the understanding it will be a long time until I am able to afford getting SBR paperwork approved.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 2:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I believe the idea is to bring a 10.5 inch to the minimum 16 inches. I suspect the primary reason is asthetics, with no intent on ever shortening the barrel legally. The other reason I can think of, is to be able to go ahead and build a rifle, while waiting on ATF paperwork for an SBR. I think there is a thread here somewhere on how to remove a permanently installed 5.5 inch flash hider when the paperwork comes.

I have been considering this option for a 9mm build, with the understanding it will be a long time until I am able to afford getting SBR paperwork approved.

As nicholsmf mnetioned, it's a 11.5" barrel once you include the 1" or so of threaded section from the 5.5 FH.

My only positive thing would be that it could be used to replicate a Resto build.  I forgot the name of the Mill rifle, but there is one that had the longer hider on it.

Beyond that, I personally don't like them.  You'd be better served with a pinned 14.5" barrel and Smith or Phantom on there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Only time I would use one is for a Commando reproduction.

Better off with a 14.5 and extended F/S.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one one on my XM177 style AR, I built it for a few reasons  1) It was made to look like my First AR I owned back in the 80's  2) I always loved the look since I read about them when the Special Forces used them back in Viet Nam 3) it is Lighter then a M4 or 16"  Carbine and just as accurate as My other AR's . The bark is a lot louder then a 16" and the FH doesnt really diminish the flash. and most of all If I decide to SBR it it isnt hard to  do.  In the first Pic the VFG is was ditched .. not liking it on this gun.. Compared to My 16" the front end has better balance to me and feels lighter to bring on target.. now this is the way I feel and have used one for a while ..

Link Posted: 1/16/2010 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
For me it's all about my "Bucket List" and the fact that I have collected a few extra parts here and there. I have a 20" 1/12 that is getting back its A1 upper and triangles. The extra A2 upper will be mated to my new "heavy" 16" (no M4 cut). Handguards will be new Magpul MOE and stock will be an old three position I also picked up several years ago. FH will be a new 5.5" "slipover" for that XM177 look.
Why? Because at 64 I need a new "Toy".  
Heavy? Yes but so is my M1 Grand and my HK91.
I also have thought about having this new 16" cut so I can perm attach the "original length / look" 4.5" FH to get closer to the XM177 look. Need to spend the extra cash I make "working elections" on something and its either this or model trains.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I never liked them because it seemed like it was just for looks, but then it dawned on me I could machine some slots in it further back and make my own flash hider to my liking, or machine an A2 FH in front of the barrel and use the rest of it to machine and make a compensator?
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#8]
is a barrel with a 5.5" flash hider lighter than a pencil barrel 16"?
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#9]
that I couldnt answer because i ahve never owned a pencil barrel AR, but compared to my M4 or my friends M4's it is lighter .
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I always like when Sarah Connor used one in T2

Link Posted: 1/16/2010 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I always like when Sarah Connor used one in T2

http://i49.tinypic.com/2nknqdy.jpg

what model AR is that? id like to see more pictures of it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
that I couldnt answer because i ahve never owned a pencil barrel AR, but compared to my M4 or my friends M4's it is lighter .

are the m4 barrels the 14.5" length or the 16" length?
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

are the m4 barrels the 14.5" length or the 16" length?

Both sizes ..

Link Posted: 1/16/2010 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can't see anything positive about a 5.5" flash hider other that bringing a 11.5" barrel to the 16" minimum length.  Even then, I don't know why a person wouldn't just get a 16" barrel.  Maybe there is a good reason for them, if so I hope someone comes along and states it so I can learn.

A number of guys I know are VN reenactors, and they just want the look of a VN shorty. For that purpose, they see no need to spend the money or do the paperwork for an SBR. They aren't really "gun guys" as much as they are into military history.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one and it is my lightest carbine...

Link Posted: 1/16/2010 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Lightest AR in the house.  Bushmaster super light weight barrel cut down to 11.5"; SBR with a 45Bravo moderator to make it a clone of an XM177E2.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Pros:

The pinned (originally silver soldered) 5.5 FH came about years ago so the surplus 11.5 barrels out in the market would be 16" legal.
They look cool.

Cons:

They will have less velocity than a standard 16" bbl and are LOUDER!
Not a convincing clone as the FH is smaller in diameter and is longer than the 4.5" moderator used on the xm177 series carbines.

Link Posted: 1/16/2010 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#19]
The pros are for the barrel makers.  They can get three 11.5" barrels out of a single barrel blank or one 16" and one 11.5" depending.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=466041

I like the retro 5.5" look.  I fail to see the performance difference between a SBR and a 11.5"bbl with pinned FH
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top