Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2010 3:04:04 PM EDT
I was in Academy today buying a game camera. I made my way by the gun bar to take a peek. There were signs on every AR thyat stated that buyer must be 21. I asked about it and they said reguardless of law they will not sell to an 18 year old. I am 48 but still left a bad taste in my mouth. Is it not legal to purchase long guns at 18? Probably another store on my shit list.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep 18 is the age to buy rifles but Academy thinks they know better.

Not that I shop there anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
it's that way here in Augusta also
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
They seem to only do it on EBRs around here.  

CS
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Check a different Academy store.  That sounds pretty bogus to me, and I've never seen the sign you mention at any of the stores I've been to in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
They seem to only do it on EBRs around here.  

CS
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
hmm never seen that sign in the sherman tx store
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I went into a local shop near me and was all ready to buy an MP15-22 and the guy asks how old I am and I replied 18 and then he goes to tell me he cannot sell to me even though I am also militaryI
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#8]
actually none of this surprises me the shithole "bullet trap" in plano Tx refused to sell me a pistol when i was a TX resident because i didn't live in that county

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
it's that way here in Augusta also

Yup, In the augusta store earlier today trying to decide if i wanted to get the m&p15ORC and saw the same sign, i knew you had to be 21 to buy the lower recievers even if they are registered as a rifle, but didn't realize you had to be 21 to buy the complete rifle.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Same in Amarillo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
It must be the same assholes that run the Big 5 store chain.  I've had a delay before on a gun and just because of the 72 hour delay, they didn't want to give it to me.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It must be the same assholes that run the Big 5 store chain.  I've had a delay before on a gun and just because of the 72 hour delay, they didn't want to give it to me.  

Different set of assholes.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my two Bushmasters from a local gun shop, but several of my buddies have been shot down trying to buy an "assault rifle" from them.  Their prices aren't too great anyway, but I guess they're better than Gander Mountain.

I scooped up a ton of Monarch 7.62 Russian from them when it was half price though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Academy's policy is they do not sell "Assault" style weapons to anyone under 21.  AR-15's, SIG-556, etc (I wonder how they treat the R-15 and R-25 since they are marketed as hunting rifles...shit I work there and am not sure) are unfortunately are included in that category.  They will also not sell the Mossberg 500 that comes with the pistol grip(the Persuader) to anyone under 21 either.  Nor the modified tacticool Remington 597 to make it look like a quasi AR.  Part of Academies issue is they have some corporate policies that go above and beyond Federal law.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quit whining and shop some where else.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Academy flat out sucks!  A few years back before my CHL I tried to buy a turkey gun. I was delayed. I went back a week later and they told me the fbi had to call them they won't call in a check on statis. They treat a delayed as if you are denided.
F*ck academy
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Won't due business at Academy any more either. They jacked with me over a shotgun purchase, went to Champion Firearms and left with the gun in about ten minutes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Academy flat out sucks!  A few years back before my CHL I tried to buy a turkey gun. I was delayed. I went back a week later and they told me the fbi had to call them they won't call in a check on statis. They treat a delayed as if you are denided.
F*ck academy

They don't treat it as a denied however they will not sell you a gun without a proceed.  We try to call back after a few days but most don't.  Typically if the FBI does not call us back it's usually for nought to call them.   And FYI there are other businesses that will not transfer without a proceed either.  A big one is CMP.  That's right, you won't get your Garand from them without a proceed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Academy's policy is they do not sell "Assault" style weapons to anyone under 21.  AR-15's, SIG-556, etc (I wonder how they treat the R-15 and R-25 since they are marketed as hunting rifles...shit I work there and am not sure) are unfortunately are included in that category.  They will also not sell the Mossberg 500 that comes with the pistol grip(the Persuader) to anyone under 21 either.  Nor the modified tacticool Remington 597 to make it look like a quasi AR.  Part of Academies issue is they have some corporate policies that go above and beyond Federal law.

Do you know why?

That just seems a little dumb. That's just aesthetics and ergonomics, still a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Take your business elsewhere..plenty of others will sell
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Take your business elsewhere..plenty of others will sell

+1 and Academy will never miss you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top