Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2009 6:29:39 AM EDT
I'm not very familiar with Doublestar AR's but Buds has a very nice sale on them right now and I'm thinking about buying one in the future.  I've been looking for an inexpensive back up for my other AR and don't really want to spend a bunch of money if I don't need to.  I'm leaning towards the Hbar.

I read the reviews about the Doublestars on buds website, but you never know who is reviewing the rifle.  Many guys on there bought the gun shot less than a thousand rounds and declare it's the best thing since sliced bread.

As much as I truely hate it when some geek plays the "m4 chart" card, I am curious about how the Doublestar stacks up against other brands.  It wouldn't really sway my opinion, I'm just curious.

If you have a Doublestar I'd like to hear what you think of it and if possible what kind of a round count you have on your rifle.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm not very familiar with Doublestar AR's but Buds has a very nice sale on them right now and I'm thinking about buying one in the future.  I've been looking for an inexpensive back up for my other AR and don't really want to spend a bunch of money if I don't need to.  I'm leaning towards the Hbar.

I read the reviews about the Doublestars on buds website, but you never know who is reviewing the rifle.  Many guys on there bought the gun shot less than a thousand rounds and declare it's the best thing since sliced bread.

As much as I truely hate it when some geek plays the "m4 chart" card, I am curious about how the Doublestar stacks up against other brands.  It wouldn't really sway my opinion, I'm just curious.

If you have a Doublestar I'd like to hear what you think of it and if possible what kind of a round count you have on your rifle.

Thanks in advance.

I recently got a Star-15 16" HBAR from Bud's and I'm one of the 'many guys' too as I've only put 200rnds through it so far. I got it for the same reason as you- cheap back-up to my Stag & RRA. It's been fine- no failures and reasonably accurate (about 2moa @ 100yds  w/4x scope) with Wolf. Fit & finish are solid too. I'm fairly new to AR's so haven't learned to be a snob yet but I would recommend it for what your purposes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought that same exact rifle friday with the M4 cut.  Shot 20 rounds Friday and 100 rounds Saturday with no flaws.  I put a Vortex red dot scope on it and haven't fine tuned it yet.  I was real happy with the way the purchase went at Bud's.  They will get my business from now on.  Also Doublestar is a local company.  I can take my rifle to them if there is ever a problem.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
All of my lowers are Double Star. All of the builds I help people do are the same.
Nice product, nice price.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Yesterday I helped assemble a DS lower with a DT kit. The lower was fine to work with. Everything came together beautifully. And , I kinda like the logo/roll-mark on the DS lower....................

-JC
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
double star has been making rifles and parts for 25 years, longer than alot of the big names, all parts are in house.  Great rifles and great 1911 s  , also i like the fact the shop is 28 mins from my house doesnt hurt either. buy the double star you wont look back. round count on oldest rifle 2600 to 2700 ,newest rifle 200  , old mil spec 1911  getting close to 1200 , new railed 1911 at 150,   all rounds fire in all my guns are reloads and i never had aproblem 110% reliable !!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are they located?  I looked at their website and didn't see where they are at.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Great products and great customer service, nothing but praises for them, I'm a proud and happy Double Star/JT Distributing owner.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where are they located?  I looked at their website and didn't see where they are at.

I believe they are in Winchester, KY.

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
From everything I have heared they are solid rifles. They are all a friend of mine uses. Not that he is any whiz-bang tactical wizard or anything. I haven't heared anything bad yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I would like to build a 14.5" kit from J&T on an Aero Precision lower and take it across town to 87GN with a few cans of Wolf and see how long it last.  It should fall apart before he even gets it to the range.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I looked at their kits and that seems like a really good deal.  Everything you need delivered to your FFL in one package that's pretty affordable.  I may have to look into this a little more.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Great product.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
it was my first and only AR, and i love it.  Zero failures at about 700 rounds and counting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Double Star has always been top quality in my experience. I have used a lot of their stuff in builds. I put one of their LPKs next to a RRA and they sure looked the same. The hammer and trigger were made by the same source.  They (J T Distributors) are a large distributor for a lot of other weapons, M60's, M79's, etc. They are not some small time parts assemblers.
My Double Stars all function perfectly and I have never had one problem with them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I looked at their kits and that seems like a really good deal.  Everything you need delivered to your FFL in one package that's pretty affordable.  I may have to look into this a little more.

Kits are not normally delivered to your FFL.  They are sent directly to you.  The only time you need an FFL is if you are buying a complete rifle, or either a stripped or complete lower receiver.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I built a 16" M4 on an Essential Arms lower last year and it was a real trooper. I didn't run 1k round through it or anything, and sold it in like new condition, but I was very pleased with the kit that I got from JT Distributing. I would highly recommend Doublestar and will probably build another in the future.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I built my Double Star .223/5.56 AR-15 piece by piece, bought my lower receiver locally and the remainder of the parts from www.jtdistributing.com. So far I have gone through about 900 round with three different brand mags, promag, pmag and c product mags and all work great with no problems. I reload my own ammo and have yet to see any problem[/s]s
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll be able to contribute to this in a few weeks.  I just bought a complete DS AR15 today from my local gun shop and can't wait to get it cleaned up and out to the range in a couple of weeks.  I'm not expecting any problems from this rifle and the posts in this thread are definitely encouraging.  :)

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds good!
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered mine thru Bud's also and eagerly await the arrival. Should be at my FFL on Friday. Tracking it thru UPS. No problems as far Bud's ordering system and they provided the tracking# next day. I am planning to take her to the range on Saturday. Will post a range report immediately.

MotoServDog
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#22]
can anybody compare the Doublestar to a Del-ton?  they aren't much more expensive.  Just wanted some opinions.  thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Double Star lowers are also one of the few that are still made with a "low shelf" That means you 'could' drop a RDIAS right in with out mods. Not that its something most people would care about really....
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#25]
DoubleStar offers the best value in the Industry IMO.

My go-to gun is a DoubleStar and it has been flawless.

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#26]
My first rifle was built using a Double Star lower receiver and also used one for my 9mm build.  Both went together very well and I have had zero problems with them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
double star has been making rifles and parts for 25 years, longer than alot of the big names, all parts are in house.  Great rifles and great 1911 s  , also i like the fact the shop is 28 mins from my house doesnt hurt either. buy the double star you wont look back. round count on oldest rifle 2600 to 2700 ,newest rifle 200  , old mil spec 1911  getting close to 1200 , new railed 1911 at 150,   all rounds fire in all my guns are reloads and i never had aproblem 110% reliable !!!

not ALL parts are in house. some lowers are made by JV Precision in Seymour CT. JV also makes recievers for LRB and they are quality lowers IMHO
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I just received my doublestar today and I haven't shot it yet so I won't comment on accuracy or how well she eats ammo, but I will say that from a fit & finish standpoint, you won't find a finer AR for that pricepoint. I don't mean that to say you can hold up a DD, BCM or a Spikes and not tell the differencein them and the DS. I'm just saying that for this price range this is a very, very good rifle and so far I am extremely happy with my purchase. Now with that said, I don't think the barrels are chrome lined so I am looking for an inexpensive solution for that, other than that it's G2G!
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
DS/J&T is a great kit company, quality and superb CS
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok,
  So my latest attempt at research this (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=500195) was shutdown/locked I guess we're supposed to talk about it here?  I thought this thread that I started a long time was too old to post in so I started a new one.  My bad if that a no go.

Where are you guys buying these Spikes AR's that are the same price as the doublestars at Buds?
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ok,
  So my latest attempt at research this (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=500195) was shutdown/locked I guess we're supposed to talk about it here?  I thought this thread that I started a long time was too old to post in so I started a new one.  My bad if that a no go.

Where are you guys buying these Spikes AR's that are the same price as the doublestars at Buds?

Take a look at the following link for lots of information. The price comes out the same because Spikes includes a nice rear site (they allow you to switch out the carry handle) which you'll end up buying anyway while the doublestar does not come with one. At the same price, doublestar is not even in the same ballpark as Spikes because as I said in the other thread you had, you get a chrome lined barrel, milspec buffer tube for more stock options, better quality control procedures, better barrel, 1/7 twist for a wider variety of ammo, nicer ST-T2 buffer, and the best customer service out there. Doublestar does not have a single one of these features.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=486660
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Spikes ST-15 LE Carbine

They cost a little more because of the carring handle and the ST-T2 buffer
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Never heard of Spikes, but they seem to be popular on this forum. Had heard of Doublestar and bought one for $150 less than the price of the Spikes "from" on their site––M-4, from Buds and $450 less than a DPMS at my gun shop. Find it equal to in every respect and superior to in many in comparison to the DPMS. Have shot it three times, with A-3 handle sights will put everything into a 3.5" group at 50 yards from my shoulder, and have found it to be very well built and finished as well as rifles costing twice as much. Nothing for or against Spikes, but I doubt it's better in any significant way than DS, just as neither DPMS or Stag aren't. On another forum, many people rave about SA 1911s––which of course I have heard of and agree they are fine pistols.  But they are no better than SIG, some Kimbers or Para. Forums seen to get a mentality with respect to what's "best." This includes Corvette or Porsche or Mustang forums. Nothing wrong with that, but needs to be kept in perspective. I made the right choice in getting the Doublestar, Spikes fans notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 2:46:29 AM EDT
[#35]
As I've mentioned before.  When I retired I worked on a contract in Iraq that was equipped with 72 ea DS carbines (16" 1:9, semi, YHM rails, ACOG w/JPoint, TRL-1 light and ARMS#40 BUIS).  About 50 of the guns were used during a two week train up before with a approx 1000-1500 rds (Wolf Miltary Classic/MagTech both 55gr FMJ) thru each, no issues.  During the final days of training my gun became back up in the barrel with UK submuntions.  This deadlined the gun, later as we were deployed replaced the barrel with a 14.5" 1:7 chrome lined bbl.  I later put another 2000 rds (M855) thru this gun without issue.  Besides my gun the only other issue is that one castle nut came loose which was retighted and staked.

DS can and will put a chrome lined 1:7 bbl one if you want.  I just order from them a forged 1911 railed frame for a project gun yesterday.  I did trust my life with that gun for 6 mos in Iraq.

CD
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#36]

John Farnam had this to say about Doublestar ARs

––

5 July 10

Doublestar

Making 1911s and conventional Stoner ARs, Doublestar is a company of which
I was first made aware at last year's SHOT Show.  Doublestar is KY-based,
and their guns are made in the USA.

I've been using my copy of their AR for several weeks now.  I've shot  is
extensively, as have a number of my students.

It runs!

We've experienced no hiccups with any magazine nor ammunition used.
Chamber is to legitimate, military specifications.

Customer service is excellent!

Doublestar now joins RRA, DSA, S&W, DPMS, Sabre-Tech, and LMT on my
Recommended List of conventional ARs.

You won't go wrong with any of the above!

There are many good, military rifles currently being produced in the USA,
but every American should own at least one conventional AR, because parts
are  easy to find (and will be for decades), and there are many gunsmiths out
there  who are intimately familiar with this System.  Accordingly, for the
foreseeable future, getting your rifle repaired will be more convenient than
is  the case with most other rifles.

For better or worse, the Stoner System will be with us, probably for the
rest of our lifetimes.  We all need to have at least one copy!

/John
http://www.defense-training.com/
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#37]

<–––––––––––––––––– I kinda like em !!!

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I like my Double Star. 500+ rounds through it...zero problems. I also have a couple of Colts and a couple of Sabres, and the DS pretty well holds it's own with them, IMO.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top