Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2009 8:03:48 AM EDT
For some reason I have read in a few different places that the AK sight radius is what harms it's usefulness. It didn't seem much shorter to me than an AR15 carbine length sight radius, so I whipped out the camera and a measuring tape. I tried to line up the end of the tape with the rear apertures on both guns. While things may not be lined up exactly the same, it gives a decent idea of the length of sight radius between the two rifles. Both are look to be right near 15.25"

I think the advantage of the AR15 sight system is the proximity of the rear aperture to the shooter's eye, in addition to the peep style aperture. This allows the eye a larger area in which to center the front sight post, thereby allowing a more precise center. Sight radius doesn't seem to be the discrepancy, rather than the placement and style of sight.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As you noted for an M4 the sight radius is the same as an AK.

However, for a mid-length, dissipator, or rifle AR; the sight radius is longer.

But optics make the difference irrelevant.

All true.

I'd like to get a Tech Sights rear peep for the AK and do some measurements with it compared to a rifle length gas system on an AR.

I would have to say that most ARs being sold are carbine gas length sight radius, but I would also have to say that a large portion of shooters add some kind of optic.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

For some reason I have read in a few different places that the AK sight radius is what harms it's usefulness. It didn't seem much shorter to me than an AR15 carbine length sight radius, so I whipped out the camera and a measuring tape. I tried to line up the end of the tape with the rear apertures on both guns. While things may not be lined up exactly the same, it gives a decent idea of the length of sight radius between the two rifles. Both are look to be right near 15.25"

I think the advantage of the AR15 sight system is the proximity of the rear aperture to the shooter's eye, in addition to the peep style aperture. This allows the eye a larger area in which to center the front sight post, thereby allowing a more precise center. Sight radius doesn't seem to be the discrepancy, rather than the placement and style of sight.

I agree that the advantage goes to the AR sight system as the rear peep is closer to the eye. Before the tech sights were out, I welded rear peeps to my AK's receiver and I like it much better. I find the gun much easier to aim. That said, the ole Winchester and Marlin 30/30 lever guns sights are out front and lots of deer are taken with them.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The Tech Sights should make a big difference on the AK as to usefulness.  I know it did on my SKS.  It is a MUCH better shooter now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top