Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/4/2009 9:48:04 PM EDT
Basically I need to have something in my hands by Nov 13th.

I see 1pt, 2pt, 3pt slings but don't know what they mean or what is best.  

I usually walk about 6-10 miles a day around the acreage I hunt.  Last year I used a piece of rope and shoulder strap from a laptop...Not comfortable.

I'm using a RRA with a 6pt stock and there are the loop holes in the stock for a sling to go through as well as under the front sight.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
For your purposes a 2-point sling is probably best.    A 2-point sling is a very common design and probably what you are already used to.

A one-point sling is attached to the rifle at a single pint, usually at the rear of the receiver.  They are favored by people who do a lot of work from vehicles or other situations where maneuverability is a major requirement.  A one-point will allow the rifle to flop around a lot while you are walking thus making it less comfortable in the long run.  Also, one-points don't aid much with stabilizing the rifle, if you use your sling for stability when shooting.

A 3-point would also work, but probably isn't necessary for what you are planning.  3-points are usually set up similarly to 2-points, but they give the shooter a few more options for how to use the sling.  Personally I don't think they are worth it.  I used one for several years and spent the whole time wishing I would one day be allowed to replace it with a 2-point.  Other people think they are great.

Also, I would suggest a padded sling if you are going to be walking around a lot, and wider slings are generally more comfortable than narrower ones.
I like my Vtac padded 2-point a lot.  There are many other good options out there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The MasterBlaster 2pt sling from Texas Huntco is a hunting sling with a tactical feel to it. Its quick adjustable, quick detachable and has a rugged elastic end that holds it tight in any position. Check it out:

SLING
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
In a pinch, a golf bag strap works well too...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#5]
USGI, nylon....quiet, affordable....
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Magpul MS2

Allows 1 and 2 point carry
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
In my area if your hunting the rifle is in your hands.  We don't have wide open spaces.

Go with a 2 point sling. Me I like Leather (turner manuf) does not slip off like nylon.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
USGI, nylon....quiet, affordable....

This. I have used all kinds of SuperDuper Tactical Cool 1, 2, and 3 point slings over the past few years and I keep coming back to my USGI sling and this will probably be the sling that I will continue to use. You should be able to find one for less than 8 dollars. I have seen a few at flea markets and at surplus stores going for about 2 dollars.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Vicker Combat Sling or Viking Tactics Sling

Two most popular slings out there...and for very good reason. Hell, Chris Costa runs the Vickers Combat Sling
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#10]

I really like the Urban ERT sling...  Goes from single to two point with ease.  Comfortable for all day wear.

Urban ERT Sling
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top