Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 1:44:20 PM EDT
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144986192

I can never get these to work...copy and paste...at least on here...

I really like this POF...(and Colt too) but it seems theres not alot of the POFs around
as there are Colts...
Worth the money ??  ...they are expensive...but nice

if someone could help with the link, I'd appreciate it.....thanks
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Fixed Linky.  POF's are nice but overpriced IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the link fix....I had to sell off some of my best rifles the first six months of this

year ( this economy and no work)  and just now will be able to buy back what I want.

its either the Colt 6940 for 1400.00   or this POF...maybe both if the wife lets me....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
POF is overpriced. If you just want an AR to take pictures of, then they are great. They function no better than a Colt or similar though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
looks heavy.  We have a gunstore that carries quite a few.  Was told they are "as good as Noveske"  
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a P 415 -16-P9SX upper on an LMT Defender lower for about 2 years now.  Overall I like it.  It's very accurate, and stone reliable (but no more so than my BCM AR).  I have about 3000 rounds of mixed ammo through it as well as at least 5000 rimfire via a converter.  I can't find any ammo, brass or steel case, that it won't shoot. If you give it ammo it likes it is easily capable of sub moa 5 shot groups.  the receiver and BCG are cleaner after 1000 rounds than a DI AR's is after 100.  All of the components, coatings and assembly are top notch with many interesting innovations.

However, in my opinion, it is not an AR.  While it has many parts in common with an AR, there are significant enough differences in parts, functioning principles, and wear patterns that it is a totally different rifle.  Because of this it not in the same league as a battle proven for 40+ years, known commodity rifle like an AR built to Colt or BCM standard.  The crucible of history has shown us exactly where when and how AR's function, wear, fail and the performance envelope in which they thrive.  It is this pedigree that is the most valuable part of AR ownership.  Also, I find some comfort in the almost universal availability of every single operating part for my AR.    The OP mentioned how many Colts are out there as compared to POF.  What do you do for bolt carriers, op rods, pistons etc. if POF goes out of business?

So, while my POF is real cool with lots of neat and innovative features and shoots great it's to small a sample for me to consider it my "go to" rifle in a SHTF scenario.  

My advice is this:  Buy the Colt. (before you do, give a long hard look at BCM) Especially if its your first AR.  Shoot it and learn it inside and out.  Then, if you still want a POF go for it they are great rifles in their own right.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have had a P 415 -16-P9SX upper on an LMT Defender lower for about 2 years now.  Overall I like it.  It's very accurate, and stone reliable (but no more so than my BCM AR).  I have about 3000 rounds of mixed ammo through it as well as at least 5000 rimfire via a converter.  I can't find any ammo, brass or steel case, that it won't shoot. If you give it ammo it likes it is easily capable of sub moa 5 shot groups.  the receiver and BCG are cleaner after 1000 rounds than a DI AR's is after 100.  All of the components, coatings and assembly are top notch with many interesting innovations.

However, in my opinion, it is not an AR.  While it has many parts in common with an AR, there are significant enough differences in parts, functioning principles, and wear patterns that it is a totally different rifle.  Because of this it not in the same league as a battle proven for 40+ years, known commodity rifle like an AR built to Colt or BCM standard.  The crucible of history has shown us exactly where when and how AR's function, wear, fail and the performance envelope in which they thrive.  It is this pedigree that is the most valuable part of AR ownership.  Also, I find some comfort in the almost universal availability of every single operating part for my AR.    The OP mentioned how many Colts are out there as compared to POF.  What do you do for bolt carriers, op rods, pistons etc. if POF goes out of business?

So, while my POF is real cool with lots of neat and innovative features and shoots great it's to small a sample for me to consider it my "go to" rifle in a SHTF scenario.  

thanks....alot.......very informative post.  These are the kind of comments I'm looking for.  I just kinda got caught up in
this piston frenzy thing...and I still like the idea.. but I'm just looking for top value for my money. I am at this moment
looking at the Colt 6940 Monolithic rail LE on Gunbroker and I'm leaning toward it...well.. I do intend to buy one at around
1400  ...unless you guys can point me to someone else.

thanks for all the replies...I'll keep reading....

My advice is this:  Buy the Colt. (before you do, give a long hard look at BCM) Especially if its your first AR.  Shoot it and learn it inside and out.  Then, if you still want a POF go for it they are great rifles in their own right.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my POF upper in 2007.  It's the most accurate gun I've ever owned.  I've got a little over 1k rounds through it so far.  I love it, but it is front-heavy.  I have no regrets owning it and wouldn't sell it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't get a POF.  You would be much happier with a Knights Armament SR15 E3 IWS.....they are absolutely awesome.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top