Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:15:03 PM EDT
Well? I am building a 16" upper. I have a Spike's M4 Upper, Spike's Billet CH, Spike's 5.56 Titanium Muzzle Brake, Spike's/Dan Young NM M16 BCG on the way. I want to get a 16" barrel and a VTAC Tube. Anybody have anything similar to that? Like the VTAC tube? Hate it? Reasons why or why not? Pics would also be greatly appreciated. The upper is going on my already built Spike's SL-15 lower.

Thanks!!!

WD
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Rifle Length VTAC on my Rock River (middle) and I really like it.  It can be a pain to put on and line up but it's solid, light and feels good in hand.  Only complaint is that it has a little ring to it if your not holding the handguard

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the VTAC Rifle Length on a Denny's GTS 6.8SPC Recon upper. l love this rail, very sturdy and can set it up however you want. IMHO there is no need for Mil-Std rails all over the FF rail, 98% of us will never come close to using them to their full potential. You actually have more options because you dont just mount at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock, but also at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, and 10:30. The rail is also very light which gives a very nice balance to the rifle. The rail has a grippy texture making it easy to hold on to.

About the only down side is that it's hard to find the 2" rails for mounting.

You will not be disappointed. 3rd rail system l tried, wish l had gone to it sooner.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Great rail system, like above poster said most people never even use their rails and just end up having to cover them up with rail ladders anyway cause they suck to hold on to. Although I must admit that I am one of those that has bought rails for the looks. You will not be disappointed with the VTAC, my only complaint is the odd ringy sound also mentioned above, but this is basically a non-issue, its not loud or anything though. These are the ideal setup for a 3-Gun rifle.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the mid length and echo what was said above....good rail, a bit of a bitch to line up on install, heald in place by red locktite so you aren't going to be removing the nut anytime soon.  

My advice is that is you intend to mount a sight on the rail, get something more rigid.  I can flex my VTAC if I apply pressure to it....not much, but some.  Same with sling tension.  

If you get the Vtac, get the top rail section and use that for allignment by putting a carrying handle across the gap.  That will allign the rail to the upper.  When you are doing this part of the install, you have very little time to get it right as the locktite is setting up and if you use the method I described, it is a snap.  Also, apply some lube when sliding the rail tube over the barrel nut portion.  I have to apply lube and lightly tap it on with a rubber mallet.  

Good rail overall.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Which Lo Pro gas block works best? Or will any lo pro gas block fit under it?

THanks!

WD

moar pics?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It is a very good FF tube for the money, I like the option of adding a rail where needed and everything else is smooth. Its priced very well too.

Now another to consider is the Troy Extreme rail, its even lighter than the JV V Tac tube and has many of the same qualities, in an even slimmer profile.

Plus the TRX is 20 times easier to install than the JP/VTAC.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great rail system, like above poster said most people never even use their rails and just end up having to cover them up with rail ladders anyway cause they suck to hold on to. Although I must admit that I am one of those that has bought rails for the looks. You will not be disappointed with the VTAC, my only complaint is the odd ringy sound also mentioned above, but this is basically a non-issue, its not loud or anything though. These are the ideal setup for a 3-Gun rifle.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/Cubieman/tg2.jpg

Great looking rifle Cubie.

The part about covering up rails with rail covers is the truth, and I no longer have any guns with full rails, except a drop in rail on my 9mm carbine because it was free.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm using the Young lo profile gas block on the two upper guns and a YHM lo profile gas block under the YHM spectre customizable handguard.

" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Here's my 300 Whisper build.  16" Noveske barrel, rifle length Vtac tube, Aimpoint, ITT PVS-14, and Omega 30 can.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#11]
the new one is bad ass. Simply, slim, light as hell.

High speed instructor ran one for 3 days in the VTAC class. I'm getting ready to order one for a race gun

ETA: the new one is a project with TROY. It's the V-TAC Extreme Battle Rail - 13", 11", 9", 7"
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Which Lo Pro gas block works best? Or will any lo pro gas block fit under it?

THanks!

WD

moar pics?

I like the LaRue Tactical low profiles.

But you can cut the Sight Tower and Bayo lug off your front sight base and make it into a low pro gas block.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys convinced me to buy one as well. I have been toying with the idea for a while now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a midlength and Carbine length.  Love them.  They are light, very sturdy, but the one drawback is they are kinda finicky to install.  I used a rubber strap wrench to hold it in place, and put a drillbit in the gas tube port to keep it lined up.  God forgive me for not remembering the size.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the responses. I am building a multi gun rifle and have everything except for the handguard, barrel, and gasblock. I just spent $400+ at Spike's for the upper and parts so I am waiting until after the 1st of the year to finish the rest. but I am definitely going with the VTAC, I like the other mention tube also but, to me, I like the looks of the VTAC better, just my opinion.

Thanks again,

WD
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the VTAC in midlength.  It is one of the relatively few quality free-float tubes that has the inner diameter to accomodate my silencer.  While I like it in general, and won't sell mine, I don't know that I would buy a second one.  Mine has a good bit of flex unless the collar screws are well torqued.  It also transfers heat worse then any other rail I have tried.  To be fair, there is not a lot of air space between the can and the rail.  I'd buy it again, but I don't know that I would buy two of them.  My humble, high-drag low speed opinion.

The oven glove of justice!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I have heard about the heat issue but I plan on using a 16" barrel midlength gas system. I don't think it will get too hot but I could be wrong. The price is the most attractive part to it, at least for me. And it looks cool.

Thanks

WD
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the VTAC in midlength.  It is one of the relatively few quality free-float tubes that has the inner diameter to accomodate my silencer.  While I like it in general, and won't sell mine, I don't know that I would buy a second one.  Mine has a good bit of flex unless the collar screws are well torqued.  It also transfers heat worse then any other rail I have tried.  To be fair, there is not a lot of air space between the can and the rail.  I'd buy it again, but I don't know that I would buy two of them.  My humble, high-drag low speed opinion.

http://www.johnnyego.com/firearms/ars/morears2/vtacb.jpg

http://www.johnnyego.com/dump/fdccjune09/og1.jpg
The oven glove of justice!

That is a neat build.

I take that as high praise coming from you.  Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top