Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2009 4:57:35 PM EDT
A local shop has a couple brands of complete lowers on sale and Im debating which one to get, they have both Smith and DPMS, the Smiths are $299 and the DPMS are $249, I know most everybody will say the Smiths are better but are they that much better?? I heard at one time that most of the lowers out there today are made by the same 2 or 3 manufacturers and just stamped for whoever they are being made for, I have bought a DPMS complete lower in the past and Im happy with it, I have also bought Bushmaster and RR and Im happy with them as well, I wont be able to go until Wednesday to make the purchase so I have time to chew on this a bit, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
They should be about the same. Guess you could try the trigger to compare and look them over but shouldn't be much difference. Is it worth $50 for the S&W logo?

Another option is to buy a stripped lower and build it yourself. I got a S&W M&P-15 for $130 and built it up with Del-Ton parts and stock for another $130. Pretty close to the DPMS that way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
the Smith has better parts and a mil-spec receiver extension (opens up your options for aftermarket stocks).

IMHO it's worth the extra $50.

edit: Rainier Arms has LMT lowers in stock for $330 LINK

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait a sec i thought Stag Arms makes lowers for S&W and a few others...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for the input, I will be going over this in my head alot during the next day or so, I wont be able to pair it with a upper for a bit but I figure its a pretty good investment.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

way old information

S&W is mostly an *in house* operation these days

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

way old information

S&W is mostly an *in house* operation these days

Sorry m8, I guess I've dated myself.  Thx for the clarification
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a Smith complete lower in our store and it has one of the nicest single stage triggers I have felt on a stock gun. Definately give the Smith a look, IMO its worth the extra $50.00.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Im leaning towards one of the Smiths since I dont have one and its a pretty good deal..but the DPMS is a really nice deal as well, the first lower I bought was a DPMS and I paid $279 for it a couple yrs back..so when I seen $249 I was like WOW, it will be spring before I can put a upper with it but thats a whole other debate.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
go smith, what's another $50, maybe 200rds of decent .223
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out Surplus Ammo & Arms- they've had a special on Aero Precision lowers with DPMS parts kits. If you're going to go with a DPMS part kit, you could get one of their specials for a lot less, even with shipping and transfer fee. Aero Precision lowers are first class. I think they advertise in the EE.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again guys for the help.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Friends don't let friends buy DPMS.

Pay the extra $50.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I bought my S&W lower last year, I was told that S&W was making them in-house now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Although I am not a fan of the Spider rollmark and really dislike the "bullet" markings I have read a lot of good things about the Spikes lowers. In the past I have built on mostly Essential Arms and Stag lowers, with a few other companies thrown in here and there, and with great results. Because of the Spikes sale and the "ARFCOM" offered discount I ordered some lowers and spoke with Brian and then Garret yesterday when Brian was on a day off. I called yesterday to finalize the order. I first tried to order online  but ran into a problem with the site when trying to order online so I called and Brian was great to deal with. I understand that online there is a box to type in the coupon code "ARFCOM" for a 5% discount. Spikes was good enough to apply the same discount (I think?) with my phone order of  over $500, and closer to $600. I still don't know how much the oprder will be since I was told it was difficult to determine how much the total would be (?). I ordered some lowers with the "fire - safe" markings and one or 2 with no logo and the bullet markings to get engraved later. I am going to call again today and talk to Brian (or see if I can reach Tom) and try to determine how much my order will actually cost me. It is very disconcerting ordering something over $500 in value and not knowing exactly how much it is going to cost you Althouigh all in all it has been a good expierence dealing with the people at Spikes. As an added piece of info, the young woman who answers the phone is outstanding, friendly, helpful, and knowledgable....<><....:)
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:40:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out PK firearms up top also. they have some good deals on complete lowers and lowers + LPKs i think they have a sabre lower with RRA LPK + stock intstalled for $265 that's a pretty good deal IMO.

ETA: to add link  Sabre lower at PK
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#16]
The resale will be higher with the Smith than the DPMS although both are good.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I personally believe that you'll be paying 50 extra dollars for the Smith roll marking. That's just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#18]
DSArms is $180 complete
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#19]
The sale actually starts today but I have to work 7-7 so I wont be able to make it up there to check them out, hopefully they still have both brands left, last time I was in that shop they had a Charles Daly lower which I didnt even know they even made lowers, I need another AR like I need a tax audit but they are a good investment and great fun to shoot, I bought my first one a couple years ago but still consider myself very new to the scene, Thanks again for all the replies.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Spike's Tactical
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Went ahead and went with the Smith, for $299 I thought it was a good deal on a quality lower(Nothing against DPMS as I have a couple) got to the shop and got nervous when there was none on the shelves..I thought damn did they sell out already, but they had them in a wood cabinet, tons of ARs in there which is a welcome sight compared to a few months ago, now I will have to figure out a upper to put with it after the first of the year, Thanks again guys for the help.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Friends don't let friends buy DPMS.

Pay the extra $50.

Agree with this. Get the S&W, forget the DPMS.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top