Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 7:23:44 PM EDT
I have had AR15's and AR10's for over 30 years now from Viet Nam till now. I'm hooked on the AR platform and have nbever had any problems with any of them including in Nam.  

This weekend I went out on a limb and bought a Sig 556 for $1600 and took it to the range to shoot it. I was willing to pay to get a piston driven rifle in 5.56/223 because everyone is raving about piston guns and how great they are. Well, I agree on the piston part as I have M1A's and FAL's and for piston guns they are great.

The Sig 556 is the biggest peice of crap I have ever seen and on Monday it's going back to the dealer. It has a bad gas valve and the gas tube is stuck to the valve and will not allow the gas to operate the bolt. Its a single shot rifle for $1600.  It would probably be a nice rifle except for the crappy parts and workmanship. They really have balls charging what they do for a peice of junk rifle like this.

In the future I'll stay with my AR15's and AR10's with the so called out of date gas operated bolt system Stoner designed over 0 years ago. It actuall works!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
i personally like the ar15 platform over the sig platform. i have heard good things about the sig, but i just cant leave my dirty, overheating DI  rifle
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
with the so called out of date gas operated bolt system Stoner designed over 0 years ago. It actuall works!

The part in red says it isn't "out of date" j/k
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]

I just can't bring myself to buy a piston rifle.Although if the SCAR drops below $1500 i may bite.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been hearing all the rave about piston driven guns, but I love direct gas impingement. I will never give in to piston driven AR's.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The Sig 556 is a trap.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Every 6 months or so I decide I want a new .223 rifle, but not a AR. So I will get some money out of saving and take a drive to my local gun shop to buy a Sig556...until I get it off the shelf...

They feel like shit....seems like a good design but everything else feels like crap. I am really hoping the ACR comes out...I may actually buy it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't say about the 556, but I still have to see a SiG550 being unreliable..  I'm not sure they share the same valve, but on the 550 if you mount the valve incorrectly you'll get what you are explaining. Are you sure the valve is on the right spot ? try to have have it rotate for 180° more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:52:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you sure you don't have the gas setting off? It can happen.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe Sig is relying on the reputation of the foreign made 550/551 models built to mil specs for military to sell the U.S. made civilian only 556.  I had considered buying this last year and instead bought the my first AR - a Noveske Recce Low Profile (which I am very happy I did - no regrets).  Within the last few weeks, I got another buying itch and considered a piston and looked at 556 again.  It looks like the workmanship dropped since last year so and all the dealers I spoke with said to reconsider.  I ended buying an AK SLR106 in 5.56 made by Arsenal(supposedly one of the better AK mfgs).  I shot my friends AK SGL21 7.62 yesterday made by the same guys and it had awesome fit and trim (shot very nicely as well).  The AK will satisfy my thirst for something different and in piston for now.  I hope that Sig does improve their U.S. made products.  If they can improve the reliability and quality of the 556, it will be a great product.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can't say about the 556, but I still have to see a SiG550 being unreliable..  I'm not sure they share the same valve, but on the 550 if you mount the valve incorrectly you'll get what you are explaining. Are you sure the valve is on the right spot ? try to have have it rotate for 180° more.

This, I had issues with mine and all it was was the gas valve was not installed correctly

Sir James...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#11]
on the 550, if the valve is mounted correctly, it will rotate 45° from small aperture to big aperture, and you'll hear a "click" when changing position..

If you mount the valve wrongly, it will turn free for some 90° ....  If so, just push the main valve pin In, and have the vavle rotate above the pin... you should now feel the clicks and the 45° rotation capabilities..

Now, maybe the 556 has nothing in common with this valve, im just sayin...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
on the 550, if the valve is mounted correctly, it will rotate 45° from small aperture to big aperture, and you'll hear a "click" when changing position..

If you mount the valve wrongly, it will turn free for some 90° ....  If so, just push the main valve pin In, and have the vavle rotate above the pin... you should now feel the clicks and the 45° rotation capabilities..

I am pretty sure that Shung is right.

That is a SIG 556 gas valve:

The same thing can happen with any SIG 55X. If the user does not know his rifle ...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe Sig is relying on the reputation of the foreign made 550/551 models built to mil specs for military to sell the U.S. made civilian only 556.  I had considered buying this last year and instead bought the my first AR - a Noveske Recce Low Profile (which I am very happy I did - no regrets).  Within the last few weeks, I got another buying itch and considered a piston and looked at 556 again.  It looks like the workmanship dropped since last year so and all the dealers I spoke with said to reconsider.  I ended buying an AK SLR106 in 5.56 made by Arsenal(supposedly one of the better AK mfgs).  I shot my friends AK SGL21 7.62 yesterday made by the same guys and it had awesome fit and trim (shot very nicely as well).  The AK will satisfy my thirst for something different and in piston for now.  I hope that Sig does improve their U.S. made products.  If they can improve the reliability and quality of the 556, it will be a great product.

I have been wanting an slr106 badly. Very tempted to buy one, but then I will need magazines for it....sigh....last thing I need is more platforms to buy magazines for.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If only we could get the "real thing" here in the US. I'd love to have a 550/551/552.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The best is the 553...

You get the reliability of the 550 piston/bolt system + the size of a 552 (or 551 with a 553LB) -

Looking at the 556 valve, it seems exactly the same as my Stg90 (SiG550) .. and I am pretty confident that the OP had the valve mounted incorrectly. Try to push the pin down and have the valve pass over it... If you can now hear the valve click from 2 positions 45° away from each others, you are GTG !
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't care for the sigs either, but you might want to try something in the AR style platform before saying fuck it to all of them. My LWRC runs great. I've had 3 or 4 of thier uppers, been happy with all of them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I've handled quite a few and sent 10 rds through one at the range.  I was unimpressed in the fit and feel of the SIG.  It looks really cool and I'm sure it is a solid weapon, but my intrigue was quickly extinguished once I finally got my hands on some.

I'll stick to the norm for now until I can personally handle a Masada.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been wanting an slr106 badly. Very tempted to buy one, but then I will need magazines for it....sigh....last thing I need is more platforms to buy magazines for.

I have one (slr106) and love it. It's the SHTF rifle...AR stays in the safe. Mags are unique...but beautiful.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If only we could get the "real thing" here in the US. I'd love to have a 550/551/552.

I think I have held the real thing (550), but I may be mistaken.  It seemed REAL nice.

Unfortunately I didnt get to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
it may seem real nice, but it feels HEAVY.. I like shooting mine, but i HATE carrying it over long marching days...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Every 6 months or so I decide I want a new .223 rifle, but not a AR. So I will get some money out of saving and take a drive to my local gun shop to buy a Sig556...until I get it off the shelf...

They feel like shit....seems like a good design but everything else feels like crap. I am really hoping the ACR comes out...I may actually buy it.

Ditto
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Not necessarily calling BS, but this sounds like another piston-bashing thread.

Stoner - There actually IS an "Off" setting on the 556 that will make it single-shot. Turn the friggin' valve.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#23]
sig 556 is a piece of shit. its heavy and it sucks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Sig 556 is a trap.

Yeap,expensive too.If Im going to spend that kinda money I'd lean toward a nice new Noveske and be done with it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top