Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2009 5:53:47 AM EDT
Been looking to pick up a good AR15 that's comfortable in the urban jungle environment, that could also serve well in limited front range wilderness/camping environment.  

Am trying to stay a bit below $1500 but would spend up to $2K if the weapon was a long-term keeper.  

Les Baer looks to put out a nice piece...Rock River's reviews look good too. S&W and Sig are names I am used to seeing in the handgun arena...and then there's Colt.  Hybrid stock setups are very interesting - FNH and the IWI Tavor (but I'm not sure a civilian semi has been marketed yet).

Likely looking toward a 14" barrel...using a low-end Aimpoint site for ranges from 25 yards to 100 yards - 300 yards max.

ANY INPUT IS WELCOME - if you have experience with any of those brands, and can recommend one...or more - lay it out, or point me in the right direction (including other posts where this has already been covered.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what dealers have on their shevles but S&W rates high on the chart.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Daniel Defense-Here
Colt-Here
BCM-Here
Spikes-Here

Any of these will be a top notch carbine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#3]
you're gonna get hit with a barrage here in a second... lemme make it simple.

For $1500 you can get a damn fine rifle.  Current front-runners for that range (w/ aimpoint- get used on the aimpoint! paying more than $350 for an aimpoint... is dumb (unless you love the lil' T1's!) would be:

BCM ~$1k

Daniel Defense ~$1k

Colt 6920 ~$1.1k

LMT ~$1.1k

Noveske might be a bit higher on price... ~$1.3k

If you dont like the barrel length/profile provided... send it to Adco to get a reprof/shortening/flash hider pin...

/thread

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt 6920 is the standard by which others are compared $1150 availability is high right now.

Add on:

Aimpoint Comp ML-3 in LaRue Cantilever mount

LaRue forend rail

Troy backup iron rear

MagPul CTR stock

Surefire light in LaRue mount

and finish it out with a bunch of MagPul P-Mags and a Blue Force single (wiill need attachment plate under castle nut) or two point sling setup

You should slide in under $2,000 and have a top shelf gun that most anyone (including internet experts) would love to have.

Additional purchases should include:

2-3 cases of practice ammo, professional training, spare bolt carrier group, case, mag pouches or chest rig, etc....

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For $1500 you can get a damn fine rifle.  Current front-runners for that range (w/ aimpoint- get used on the aimpoint! paying more than $350 for an aimpoint... is dumb (unless you love the lil' T1's!) would be:

BCM ~$1k
Daniel Defense ~$1k
Colt 6920 ~$1.1k
LMT ~$1.1k

If you dont like the barrel length/profile provided... send it to Adco to get a reprof/shortening/flash hider pin...

/thread

Get one of the carbines listed above.

Add:

Aimpoint
Light
Sling

Spend what is left on mags and ammo and start saving for a carbine class.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#6]
^^^

This
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Everything as said above regarding brands...

However, you may have some issues with a 14" barrel.  Minimum length for a civilian is 16" on the barrel.   You can go with a 14.5" barrel (which are pretty common), but you must have a flash hider permanently affixed which will bring the length to the legal minimum....  (A standard A2 is not long enough, but there are extended A2 flashhiders and various others which are long enough).

If you're not interested in going through the hassle of having a FH pinned to avoid legal issues, then a 16" barrel is pretty much the standard, and works well for the purposes you've mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

BCM ~$1k
Daniel Defense ~$1k
Colt 6920 ~$1.1k
LMT ~$1.1k

/thread

+1 I would also add Spikes $950 to the mix. I noticed you said you wanted a 14 inch barrel. Unless, you live in a state where it's legal and feel like doing the paperwork (+ $200) then it needs to be a minimum of 16 inches. You could also do a 14.5 inch barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm feedin' on it gentlemen...keep it comin' - I'm noticing common threads....

THANK EWE!
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Consider LWRC products or POF.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Take a look at Noveske's N4 Light line.

Colt 6920 or 6520.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#12]
hmm:

Noveske
Sabre defense
daniel defence
BCM
LMT
LArue
Spikes
Colt

not very narrowed down for ya, but you cant name a finer group of AR's
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

However, you may have some issues with a 14" barrel.  Minimum length for a civilian is 16" on the barrel.   You can go with a 14.5" barrel (which are pretty common), but you must have a flash hider permanently affixed which will bring the length to the legal minimum....  (A standard A2 is not long enough, but there are extended A2 flashhiders and various others which are long enough).

If you're not interested in going through the hassle of having a FH pinned to avoid legal issues, then a 16" barrel is pretty much the standard, and works well for the purposes you've mentioned.

SBR?
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Daniel Defense makes great rails, it's kind of funny seeing them listed as GTG or top of the list for an AR as they are too new for that.  If you want something proven to be reliable get Colt, BCM, or LMT.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR?

7 posts and asking for entry level advice - kinda figured the 14" was leaning more towards not being aware than jumping into the NFA fray...
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Consider LWRC products or POF.

This, a store down the road fro e has 2 LWRCs for about $1,400 each.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Colt 6920 is what I'd buy/like to buy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Been looking to pick up a good AR15 that's comfortable in the urban jungle environment, that could also serve well in limited front range wilderness/camping environment.  

Am trying to stay a bit below $1500 but would spend up to $2K if the weapon was a long-term keeper.  

Les Baer looks to put out a nice piece...Rock River's reviews look good too. S&W and Sig are names I am used to seeing in the handgun arena...and then there's Colt.  Hybrid stock setups are very interesting - FNH and the IWI Tavor (but I'm not sure a civilian semi has been marketed yet).

Likely looking toward a 14" barrel...using a low-end Aimpoint site for ranges from 25 yards to 100 yards - 300 yards max.

ANY INPUT IS WELCOME - if you have experience with any of those brands, and can recommend one...or more - lay it out, or point me in the right direction (including other posts where this has already been covered.

THANKS!

You're describing a combat rifle, so start at the top.

KAC SR-15 IWS E3 can be had around $2,000.  It comes with all the upgrades, just add your Aimpoint or other optic.  A lot of other M4 style rifles cost this much once you get all the same stuff on, and are not as good.  If you got it, spend it.  Uses some proprietary parts.

Noveske N4 Light series is also around $2,000.  Same quality as the KAC.  Could be more accurate (conjecture) than the KAC and uses standard AR parts.  Also as good as they get.

Custom built rifle from MSTN, Denny's, JTAC Supply, ADCO, Rainier Arms, etc...  Get exactly the parts you want for Around $2,000.

Colt, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, LMT, Spike's.  Best M4 based rifles available.  Spend what you want after the $1200ish initial down stroke.

Everything else is about the same after that.  Roll the dice and take your chances.  Some are good parts and poor QC.  Some are junk parts and good QC.  All combinations of in-between as well.

A great option might be an LMT SOPMOD Lower for $520 and a LaRue upper for $1200.  Add Troy sights for $250 and it's as good as you can get for under $2000 as well.

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a newbie wanting to buy complete ar too. Combat ready like the post starter. 16" barrel was looking at the colt 6920 but read somewhere about the small firing pin. also daniel defense ddm4 or the ddm4v2.also $250 rebate for daniel defense parts. which they really do not have anything much that I could use like mags, optics . What dd accesories could I use up the $250 i like the vertical grip the dd has.but not nessasary.I want to spend around $1500  or a little more for the gun and pay the extra $$ for the optics. looking at installing the  eotech red dot optics.but not set on it or the aimpoint. does the permament sights interfere with your veiw? I would like to get the best for the money. I like the style of the rail on Spike's link upper page but never heard of them. Again I am new to the ar and imput is appreciated. looking pretty much the same as topic starter with 16" barrel. thanks                                                                                                                                                               I am a lefthanded shooter and I do not want powder shooting me in the face. what are my options? It does not have to be just these 2 brands, I am open for other manufacturers. I would also like good long range accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
You say urban jungle, I instantly think .22LR SBR with silencer to take out animals without alerting the neighbors.

2 stamps $400
Quality .22 can $500
Spikes 5.5" upper with 2 mags $600
Spike's lower complete lower $250
Name engraving $50
Used red dot $200

=$2000

This may not be what you first were thinking; it will require some precise hits on two legged critters to boot

ETA: There are some decent lower end rifles that will work.  My DoubleStar hasn't failed, but I'm a more casual shooter (usually not over 500 in a sitting).  I've heard good things about CMMG bargain bin.   I think Spike's has a $950 rifle, or if I'm not mistaken the complete lowers are on sale for $250 and a complete upper is $600 - extra $100 gets you assembled rifle + carry handle.  There are some really good top tier ARs suggested above.  I just wanted to offer a different perspective.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#21]
don't overlook an RRA Predator pursuit. It's another good low buck shooter. Really there are many especially at your price range.

I take it you reload? If not I'd most likely start there then decide on a rifle.

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I like my daniel defense. It was 1399.00
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 3:23:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Daniel Defense-Here
Colt-Here
BCM-Here
Spikes-Here

THIS + Aimpoint, BUIS, Surefire (light), mags and ammo.

-Ray

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#24]
The RRA uses Wilson SS barrels with Wylde chambering that will be more accurate than some others. If its a doall rifle than I'd look to put accuracy higher up. I've seen some RRA rifles with their SS barrels that were freakishly accurate with Black Hills 69grain. Sub 1/2 MOA 5 shot consistently. Obviously other manufacturers have some rifles that are comparable with match chambers and excellent accuracy, RRA is just the example I have experience with.

I'd also prefer a 1-4 or a 2-7 variable optic for multi-tasked rifle. An Aimpoint to me is for combat/SHTF weapons. At greater ranges the 4x on my DMS is very nice to have. I can't imagine hitting a ground hog at 300 yards with a 4moa dot at 1x. Man sized targets wouldn't be tough with an Aimpoint, but getting your eyes a little closer to small targets can make all the difference.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#25]
where's that store...? I'd like to get a read on the model numbers

THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#26]
OK - let's thin the herd -

BEST 3 gas PISTON systems in the same configuration...LWRC, love the feel and quality (M62A...NICE) but only a 2 year warranty - LCM I haven't been able to handle one..others I should consider...?

I have $1550 in hand, and might have a few hundred more -

BCM...where can I get advice on how to piece together an optimal 14.5" Urban Jungle unit...?

THANKS again gentlemen...

and THANKS FOR SERVING to all the servicemen!!! HOO RAH!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Since I've spent the last year planning my first build  I thought I would chime in.

One thing you never mentioned is if this is will be your only gun.
If it is I would say get a sks mod it, and grab a few thousand rounds of ammo, Now you have a SHTF rifle on the cheap that always goes bang. And a short 12ga pump is a must

With that said, If you want to go the nfa route, build a sbr with a can. but remember the paper work,, you have to set up a trust,pay the tax and engrave the lower.

I'm thinking that you have the same thoughts as I do for your AR.
I'm going with a 14.5' barrel with a fixed yhm flash so I can run a can for the wife and kids.

I wouldn't go with a piston set up. Think about it, if it does hit the fan Where are you going to find parts to fix it?

As far as hiding in the woods goes 12ga  and  sks. you also need a .22 for small game

Not to get personal but do you have a wife and kids? What gun are they going to grab and carry?.

Yes I keep up with the sks but you must own one, The 7.62 round in my opinion is far better than .223 for combat

Just my thoughts

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought abougt pickin' up this AA-12...    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqucgAIFEyM&feature=related

but the wife says "NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!"  (spoilsport....)
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Daniel Defense-Here
Colt-Here
BCM-Here
Spikes-Here

this
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top