Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2009 3:45:10 PM EDT
Does the Colt 7.62x39 upper receiver have any special markings on it differentiating it from a 5.56 upper?

I bought a used Colt 5.56 barrel and upper package. Guy I bought it from "thinks" it is a colt 7.62x39 upper but couldn't be sure. The upper is an A2 only has CM on the carry handle. No other markings. Receiver has M4 ramps though.

Price was good and my plans are only for the barrel anyway so no big deal either way, but if I sell the upper, don't want to mis-advertise it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The last Colt upper I saw did have barrel markings saying it was 762 x 39...
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The last Colt upper I saw did have barrel markings saying it was 762 x 39...

Did the upper receiver have any different markings? (barrel that came with it is marked 5.56 NATO)

A few receiver pics I saw 7.62x39 etched on the left side, but those were flat top receivers. Don't know if Colt etched A2 receivers the same way.

Link Posted: 10/5/2009 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, missed the upper part.
It was an A2 upper and didn't have any other markings...
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump for day crew
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 5:10:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does the Colt 7.62x39 upper receiver have any special markings on it differentiating it from a 5.56 upper?

I bought a used Colt 5.56 barrel and upper package. Guy I bought it from "thinks" it is a colt 7.62x39 upper but couldn't be sure. The upper is an A2 only has CM on the carry handle. No other markings. Receiver has M4 ramps though.

Price was good and my plans are only for the barrel anyway so no big deal either way, but if I sell the upper, don't want to mis-advertise it.

Is there any difference? The barrel and bolt are the only parts I was aware of that determined what caliber ammunition it used.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there any difference? The barrel and bolt are the only parts I was aware of that determined what caliber ammunition it used.

To be honest, don't know. Looked over at the 7.62x39 FAQ section and it appears any receiver can be used for a conversion, ones with feed ramps are better.

Just wondering if colt did anything different with their uppers. Just don't want to tell someone something its not. Maybe learn something in the process.

Link Posted: 10/6/2009 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine has NO markings except the CM forge codes, BUT the A2 rear sight elevation wheel has NO markings
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
my upper has the following, on the left side:
COLT 7.62 x 39

barrel also has:
C MP 7.62x39 1/12

dont know if they all came this way or not though
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top