Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2009 1:25:29 PM EDT
Many people use them. Integrated weapons lights/ lasers make sense, but I've never used one ever. Is it something based on personal preference or is it strongly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Dictionaries are strongly recommended

Anyway for me I like have a VFG on my AR that has a rail because it's more comfortable than the rail and it's easy to hit the switch on the back of the light.  However there are grips you can install on the rail that are comfy and remote switches for the lights so you can put them where your fingers are, so either way works.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
i put my first one on today. i like it much better. the angle of my wrist makes it much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a TD QD stubby and set it as far to the mag as it will go without interference and having a good lock up.Its perfect for me as I use a magwell grip but using the stubby grip instead of the front of the magwell.Full size VFGs for me are just too long.Unless you use the whole legnth of the grip with a different hold.I think it makes off hand shooting a little more stable and gives better weapon retention should some one grab onto your weapon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't run one.

However, I am very interested in the KAC hand stop.

I need to get one and try it out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Easier to operate the light I have mounted. I can pull the weapon back into my shoulder for more controlled shots.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i put my first one on today. i like it much better. the angle of my wrist makes it much more comfortable.

Same for me.  I have long arms, (I'm 6'4'') and I like to get my hand out a little further on the handguard (grabbing the front of the magwell is in too tight).  It gives me a solid reference point so i am not grabbing barrel.  Helps me control the weapon better and it is more comfortable, so I use it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
For me it depends on what I'm trying to do with it.  For more of a short range/CQB config I prefer the VFG.  To me it makes it easier to drive the rifle.  For a scoped out/precision AR, no VFG.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For me it depends on what I'm trying to do with it.  For more of a short range/CQB config I prefer the VFG.  To me it makes it easier to drive the rifle.  For a scoped out/precision AR, no VFG.

Exactly! I feel like its a more natural position for my wrist when running a VFG. Also they make for a reference point for your grip. I also want to try out the KAC handstop deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a similar question. I have never been a huge fan of the feel but it doesn't seem like anything you couldn't get used to. Does it help with weight? I just finished my M16A4 replica and it's getting a little heavier than I'm used to. Would the forward grip help me have more control of the heavier front end? Thanks. -Ben
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
VFG= win
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a similar question. I have never been a huge fan of the feel but it doesn't seem like anything you couldn't get used to. Does it help with weight? I just finished my M16A4 replica and it's getting a little heavier than I'm used to. Would the forward grip help me have more control of the heavier front end? Thanks. -Ben

My dad, who has shoulder problems from hockey injuries, feels that it helps.

I have gone back and forth on VFGs and am currently using them, if you have a need for a railed/FF handguard I'd use a VFG, if not, I would spend the money on training and ammo, because a quality example of both will run you somewhere upwards of $300...
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a cheap one and try it out. I didn't like the full size KAC grip, then I tried the handstop now I'm awaiting my LaRue FUG and I'm going to try the smallest one. The great thing about them is how you can remove them and add them whenever you want, it's not a permanent commitment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm just a plinker but I don't like them.

Adds weight to the front of a LW setup and I don't feel as precise when aiming when using the VFG.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I like them, but I don't wrap my entire hand around it, my thumb points forward and indexes the left side if the handguard (I'm right-handed), sort of like a support hand pistol grip.  I also like how I can use it to pull the gun back into my chest. Lastly, I find it easier to activate a light than without.  It's really a matter of preference, buy one a and try it, if you don't like it, sell it on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Have one on my Colt AR 15 A2 govt. carb. thats tricked out.

Dont have one on my SP-1 no frills truck gun.

Dont have one on my Armalite SPR..

Nice for tactical movement around cover and barriers. Not nice for low down ground crawling and precision work
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I like them and I still like shooting without them.The only time it was ever a must is when I let off with a 1928 model thompson at a machine gun shoot in my area a couple years back...I was definately grateful for a foregrip thenfeels sweird when your a big guy to have a burst of .45 ACP stand you up straight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Like me, let your (sub)conscience be your guide. I had a rail with no light on an Hbar carb and put a stubby VFG on to keep fingers from being Kboomed and liked the feel of it in front of the magwell. Then I got a Gov. profile with M4
handguards and realized the simpler, cleaner, lighter, better handling, handier new carbine was what I was grabbing
for ranch chores and the VFG / railed carb was turning into a safe mummy that rarely saw daylight. So I took all the tacti-clutter off the Hbar and put the M4 handguards and carry handle back on and now it's a favorite again. KISS rules.  Anyone want to buy a YHM rail w/TD stubby?
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Chicks dig em....and so do I.  But seriously saying, I like the feel of them and some of them come in handy.  Take for instance this:  It's called a GRIP POD system.  Serves as a FVG, then a bipod for your rifle.  Push the button and out pops the legs.  To close, fold the legs together and push back into the "grip".  

Brownell's carries these for around $100 bucks.  Built like a tank.  Very durable and used by our troops.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2z8x72s.jpg
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#19]
My buddy used these in Iraq, he absolutely hated  them because sand gets in the joints and makes them useless. Great idea, Poorly manufactured. as a result he gave it to me =D
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I can see that sand would and did cause these things to malfunction.  But having used mine in the rural "local" enviroment, it works for me.  Poorly manufactured?  I can stand on it, and it won't break.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Pros

- Reference point for your reaction hand and thus shot to shot repeatability

- With enough accessories on the rail, there could possibly be no more room for you to grip

- Storage. Plenty of MFGs hollow out their VFG for storage of batteries, spare bolt and parts, etc.

Not many cons to a VFG besides weight. Some people just want the lightest possible configuration, and the less unnecessary accessories, the better. Plus some people get along just fine without a VFG.

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy a Larue or a Tango Down.

If you don't like it you can sell it easily.

Most of the other brands have little resale value.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't seem like too many cons having one. I might not like it, but again I don't know. In the future I'm going to buy a cheap one to try just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks for the imput.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the void it has for storage, and it keeps my hand off the mag well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#25]
its mostly personal...for some folks and through technique, it MAY provide a slight edge in physical control of the muzzle end, but it doesnt click w/ me personally
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#26]
If used properly, gives you more control over your weapon as far as stability goes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#27]
If used properly, gives you more control over your weapon as far as stability goes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I tried one, and didn't like the weight penalty or the additional snag hazard. When carrying the weapon all day or while humping it, I found the benefits didn't outweigh the costs. So I redesigned the layout of my rifle and went with a minimalistic approach that felt right.

I hated going prone with the FVG, I couldn't get low enough to the ground even when on a berm. If I was going to get one though, I'd probably go with the shorty FUG.

Friends don't let friends fill their rails with bullshit. Keep it light and clean.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 3:55:37 AM EDT
[#29]
If you aren't going to put anythin on the rails why not just run a standard forearm? It would weigh less that way... and be more comfortable!
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#30]
If I win the lottery and could afford a lighter Omega maybe I would put mine back on one carb.
But like my 1911's, I like consistancy in technique and hand placement when I pick up any of my guns
so a VFG wouldn't be a muscle memory thing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I tried one, and didn't like the weight penalty or the additional snag hazard. When carrying the weapon all day or while humping it, I found the benefits didn't outweigh the costs. So I redesigned the layout of my rifle and went with a minimalistic approach that felt right.

I hated going prone with the FVG, I couldn't get low enough to the ground even when on a berm. If I was going to get one though, I'd probably go with the shorty FUG.

Friends don't let friends fill their rails with bullshit. Keep it light and clean.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2619/3935937205_a654644085.jpg

I'm not sure you can justify the "weight penalty" with that carbine.  You probably have the heaviest setup in a 16" carbine you can get with the LMT piston/rail and the M93 stock, but I totally understand the sling problem when you are using a 2 point.  I just use a single point and choose a light vfg like the TD stubby.  But it is always just personal preference.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You went "light" with an X300 and T1 but have an MRP piston upper?

In no way, shape, or form is that rifle "lightweight".

And if you want to get close to the ground, use 20s.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I like to use them.I have no Military experience with one.And would like to hear from someone who has .
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So your VFG was causing you not to be able to get as low to teh ground as you wanted but the mag wasn't causing any hinderence?
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#35]

LaRue FUG

KAC

Quoted:
Many people use them. Integrated weapons lights/ lasers make sense, but I've never used one ever. Is it something based on personal preference or is it strongly recommended.

I prefer to use them only on my carbines, they're quicker to aim at multiple targets, makes the weapon stable when firing, and less strain on the hand when carrying my carbine for long periods of time.

On my 20" rifle I don't like to use them because I usually pass my targets when aiming and always have to go back to correct my aim.

The first time I used a VFG was on my then new Steyr AUG A1 carbine way back in 1989

I quickly found out back then that it was very easy and fast to aim at different targets, I remember I had a lot of fun shooting plastic gallon containers even sometimes hitting them in midair.

Try it for yourself if you have a buddy that have one or just buy a good quality VFG (or a cheap one if you desire), if you don't like it just sell it, you won't loose much money with quality brands.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top