Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2009 5:18:57 PM EDT
Hi All,
My Larue built 20" upper came with a standard A2 suppressor/compensator that is slightly over indexed (e.g. where the 12 o'clock position of the A2 compensator is off center by a few degrees to the left if looking at it from a normal firing position).  So my question is, will this dramatically impact the rifle's handling ability when firing?  I mean does an offset or off indexed compensator make the recoil so different that it will affect a follow up shot?  I love Larue products and absolutely don't want to mess with it unless I have to.  Thanks in advance for your help!
Best, EapDos
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be fine.

If it bothers you then take it off and get a new crushwasher and redo it.

Most people end up changing out the stock A2 anyway for something else.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
If i were to do it myself, do i need to disassemble the barrel and use a clamp?  Or can I simply unscrew with a wrench and redo it in my living room?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Just the flashhider right.

No just put it on a lower and UNLOADED use the grip betwwen you legs and use a wrench.

You might just be able to loosen it up a hair and make it right without making it too loose.

Be careful not to mar the FH finish as it is easy to scratch.

Could you post pics just to be sure of what you are asking.

If it is really only a few degrees off I would just leave it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks crowdlg! Yes it is the standard a2 flash suppressor/compensator that is slightly off center.  As you can tell I haven't fired my new purchase yet so I guess that will determine the final outcome.  I'm guessing that the person putting the upper together simply eyeballed it, and since the upper didn't come with a FSB which I'm guessing helps alignment, the result was that it was slightly over indexed.  I've read/heard that the standard A2 suppressor/compensator doesn't suppress muzzle flash or compensate too well...i am simply worried that the off center compensator angle might make the rifle recoil too much to the right.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think if it was only a few degrees off you would be able to tell or have a way to measure the side blast.

If it were 45 degrees or 90 off maybe.

Just a hair NO.

Shoot it first and enjoy. Larue's are VERY nice uppers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top