Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2009 2:19:35 PM EDT
I already have a stripped lower receiver, scope, bipod, and $1000.  I would like to build an SPR/DMR type of rifle.  I would prefer an already assembled upper if possible.  A few specs I would like are:

-1:7 twist (for heavy ~75gr. loads)

-Would prefer a 18-20 inch barrel for the extra velocity

-Flat top upper

-Free floated barrel

-Head shot capable to 500m (if the shooter can do his part)

-Flash hider/threaded muzzle strongly preferred, but not absolutely required.

-Chrome lined barrel preferred, but not required.

-Ultra reliability is not as important as it normally would be for a close quarter/combat rifle...

-Back up iron sights are not important at the moment.  When I have more money in the future, I would like to be able to add them though.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Most DMR-stainless type barrels use stainless steel. You might be able to get in for around your $1000 budget but it could be tight. I would suggest
White Oak Armament M4 upper-$115
BCM BCG $159, CH $25
18" White oak Armament or Douglas SPR barrel from Compass Lake Engineering , $275-310 both 1/7 twist
Larue 12" or 13"  FF rail  $300
Vltor gas block $60
Vortex FH $50
Total about $1000 without BUIS and optics
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If accuracy is your primary concern you should look for a stainless barrel.

Look at LaRue

It's a little more than your buget but worth the price.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Superior Barrels

They have what you need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you looking to build just the upper for 1k or do you need to have the 1k cover the stock and LPK also?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you looking to build just the upper for 1k or do you need to have the 1k cover the stock and LPK also?

$1000 needs to cover everything but the scope, stripped lower, and bipod.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you guys think about something along these lines:

DPMS Mini SASS Barrel - $200

Midwest Industries Free Floated Quad Rail Rifle Length One Piece - $155

Midwest Industries Low Profile Gas Block -$40

DSA Flat Top Stripped Upper Receiver - $80

Daniel Defense MPI Bolt Carrier Group - $152

Lower Parks Kit - $75

Stock (unsure, probably a Magpul one) - $200

Charging Handle - $20

A2 Flashider - $5

That puts us at ~$927
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most DMR-stainless type barrels use stainless steel. You might be able to get in for around your $1000 budget but it could be tight. I would suggest
White Oak Armament M4 upper-$115
BCM BCG $159, CH $25
18" White oak Armament or Douglas SPR barrel from Compass Lake Engineering , $275-310 both 1/7 twist
Larue 12" or 13"  FF rail  $300
Vltor gas block $60
Vortex FH $50
Total about $1000 without BUIS and optics

Those look like very nice parts, but then I don't have any money left over for a stock or lower parks kit.  What do you think about the setup I just posted?  Would it basically do the job I'm looking for?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Your going to need a better barrel than that. I would say at the least get the WOA barrel.

MI rail will work, but its heavy. If your really trying to save some money then get a YHM rail for about $130. Just remember to use loctite when you put it together.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
i would save up a few more bucks and get the good stuff.

(skip the DPMS barrel and the MI rails)

edit:

i have THIS for sale in the EE.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#10]
That is over his budget but twice the upper he would get for the parts he is looking to use.

That would be a hell of a shooter for the price.

there are CMT LPK's for sale in the EE for about 60 bucks.

PKfirearms has complete A2 buttstock assm. for 65.00
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your going to need a better barrel than that. I would say at the least get the WOA barrel.

MI rail will work, but its heavy. If your really trying to save some money then get a YHM rail for about $130. Just remember to use loctite when you put it together.

I think that is a good recommendation based on everyone recommending the WOA. So rifle or midlenth? WOA sells the SPR barrel for $265 in both rifle or midlength.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a WOA SPR in rifle gas on a MK12 and it shoots great.

The gas set up should depend on if you want your gas block visable.

On a 12in rail, rifle gas the block would be visable.

A middy gas system and a 12in rail it would be hidden.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a WOA SPR in rifle gas on a MK12 and it shoots great.

The gas set up should depend on if you want your gas block visable.

On a 12in rail, rifle gas the block would be visable.

A middy gas system and a 12in rail it would be hidden.

I don't really care about the looks.  Does one or the other make any difference at all about reliability or other anything other than looks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that is a good recommendation based on everyone recommending the WOA. So rifle or midlenth? WOA sells the SPR barrel for $265 in both rifle or midlength.

Probably midlength for an 18" barrel.

Stick with an A2 stock

DD BCG $140 <edit> BCM carrier $80 + WOA headspaced bolt $40 = $120
A2 stock kit $65
RRA LPK $65 or DPMS LPK $60
BCM upper reciever $94
BCM charging handle $24
WOA 18" mid gas barrel $295 <edit> Get it from WOA $265
WOA mid gas tube & pin $13
Stag gas block $40 if you look a little more you can find a YHM for $20
A2 flash hider + crush washer $10
Viking tactics Free Float tube $175
ADCO assembly $50
Total: $966 <edit> After edits = $916 thanks to jaqufrost
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#15]
My minimum budget recomendations would be:

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

WOA 5SPRR 18" barrel     $265

WOA matched bolt           $40

WOA bolt carrier and key $64.50

WOA cam pin                  $5.50

WOA firing pin                 $6.50

WOA firing pin retainer     $.85

YHM complete a4 upper with m4 feedramps $96 delivered

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=159367

YHM rifle length diamond handgaurds $130 delivered

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=142581

YHM 9383 low profile gas block $19

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=142581

Rifle length gas tube $11 from brightflashlights

Charging handle $15 from brightflashlights

This brings us to $653.35 for the upper.

DPMS lower parts kit $50

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=149

For a budget collapsible stock kit you could use the DSA kit for $50

http://www.dsarms.com/M4-Updated-6-position-collapsible-Tactical-Buttstock-Green––-CARM4RIBG/productinfo/CARM4RIBG/

Total would be $753.35 leaving you about $250 to play with for changes you prefer.

You could then upgrade to a better stock later if you wanted to like the ACS for $129 shipped

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Magpul_ACS_Collabsible_Carbine_Stock.html

If you want a nicer rail then get the Larue for $300

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=51

So if you built this with the Larue rail and ACS stock you would have $1052.35 in it.

I would send the trigger off to Bill Springfield for his 4lb trigger job $35

http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
You could do the build I proposed using either a rifle length or midlength setup.

Midlength might look a little better, it would also give you a little more gas pressure to work with.

Its easier to put a heavier buffer in than to ream out the gas port
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#17]
The barrel is the key.  woa or krieger.  I would spend what I need to get the right barrel, then see how much I have left.  No sense building an 18in gun if it doesn't have a great barrel.  Take more time and do it right== as long as you have something in your safe now, right?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The barrel is the key.  woa or krieger.  I would spend what I need to get the right barrel, then see how much I have left.  No sense building an 18in gun if it doesn't have a great barrel.

+1
Don't skimp on what matters.

WOA SPR barrel
CMT M4 ramped upper.          105.00
Larue 12in or 13.2in rail           299.00 - 329.00
Lowpro gas block                      60.00
BCM M16 bolt carrier group    130.00
A good Forged charging handle.  25.00
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#19]

the one i have for sale is rifle gas. i shot one that a friend built and i HAD to have one. the rifle length gas and an A2 stock makes for a very smooth, enjoyable weapon. that said, i did not get to compare it side by side with a mid gas 18". i've shot mid gas 18"s before but with 6 position stocks and under different conditions.

i decided to sell this one so i can fund my SBR/Suppressor project.

if you are going to build one i would lean toward the rifle gas system. a rifle length gas system and an 18" barrel should lessen the felt recoil and be easier on the entire system. you have reduced the pressure by shortening the barrel to 18" from 20". (increasing the barrel length away from the gas block will increase the pressure)

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 20" krieger stainless 1 in 7.7" barrel with low round count that I had milled to spr profile 1" to .840 then .750 from the gas block down to .730.
brand new dpms flattop upper with charging handle
new dpms free floating tube
new yhm front gas block/flip up sight
burris p.e.p.r 30mm spr scope mount

it's complete minus bcg, scope, and bipod. shoot me an offer if your interested. I wanted to build a spr but it's getting expensive and I have two other builds that have been put on the back burner because of this upper.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I got the 18" Douglas SPR barrel from Compass Lake for $315 shipped for my Mark 12 Mod 1. They are great barrels, another possible choice to consider
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Superior Barrels

They have what you need.

I've been pricing for a build also. Been looking at WOA barrel but I kind of want a 1:8 twist. Does anybody know how much Superiour barrels run. I've seen the ones on Bravo but more then I want to spend. Or any other 18" 1:8 barrels?

Not sure if you could do it but check out ADCO. They have complete MK12 mod 1 uppers for around $1100. I have spent several hours pricing parts and this is what I have that may meet you needs or comes close––-may not be the best parts and you may find cheaper gas block and stuff to save some more money but heres the list––-

Barrel –– WOA 18" SPR with rifle legnth gas       $265.00   from ADCO or WOA
Upper–– BCM complete                                         $93.95     from Bravo
BGC  ––  WOA complete                                       $125.00   from ADCO
Gas Blk -Troy low pro                                          $45.00     from Bravo
Gas Tube ––anywhere                                         $10.00      
Flashider - Base A2 type                                     $8.00        from ADCO or Bravo
FF Rail–– Troy MRF or TRX                                    $230 to $285  depending on which one you want

TOTAL $832.00     plus SH charges

Now you still need a charging handle, LPK and stock maybe some odds and ends.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the WOA SPR barrel 5.56 or .223 chambered?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm pretty sure theyre Wylde chambered.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure theyre Wylde chambered.

WOA is wylde and can shoot .223 and 5.56 without a problem.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#26]
One more question about the WOA SPR barrel.  What is the diameter of it for the purposes of picking out a gas block?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I think they are .75 .....but somebody else should have a better answer
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I just came to another decision, I'll just go with a free float tube instead of a free float rail.  That would knock another $80-100 off.  Any suggestions on a free float tube?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably midlength for an 18" barrel.

Stick with an A2 stock

DD BCG $140 <edit> BCM carrier $80 + WOA headspaced bolt $40 = $120
A2 stock kit $65
RRA LPK $65 or DPMS LPK $60
BCM upper reciever $94
BCM charging handle $24
WOA 18" mid gas barrel $295 <edit> Get it from WOA $265
WOA mid gas tube & pin $13
Stag gas block $40 if you look a little more you can find a YHM for $20
A2 flash hider + crush washer $10
Viking tactics Free Float tube $175
ADCO assembly $50
Total: $966 <edit> After edits = $916 thanks to jaqufrost

I have never used it but am looking at maybe using the Viking tube. I think you can put small rails on them. Troy has a new tube/rail out but the Viking is cheapert hen that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Viking's tubes are great quality and relatively lightweight. The ability to put rails on where you need them is a big plus! They're pretty popular with 3-gunners if I'm not mistaken.

A lot of these guys are forgetting about the cost assembly so keep that in mind. Adco is probably the best one to have build your upper! Yes, you can do it yourself as long as you have a torque wrench and some other basic tools, but I figured since you said you'd rather an assembled upper that you don't want to build it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#31]
brightflashlights has  the YHM free float for $47 and their customizable free float forearm where you can add rails to it later in the places you want them for $94

I've been very happy with my brightflashlight orders. I just bought the diamond free float rail last week for my wifes rifle.

I wish they would set up a website so you wouldnt have to call them though
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Superior Barrels

They have what you need.

I've been pricing for a build also. Been looking at WOA barrel but I kind of want a 1:8 twist. Does anybody know how much Superiour barrels run. I've seen the ones on Bravo but more then I want to spend. Or any other 18" 1:8 barrels?

Not sure if you could do it but check out ADCO. They have complete MK12 mod 1 uppers for around $1100. I have spent several hours pricing parts and this is what I have that may meet you needs or comes close––-may not be the best parts and you may find cheaper gas block and stuff to save some more money but heres the list––-

Barrel –– WOA 18" SPR with rifle legnth gas       $265.00   from ADCO or WOA
Upper–– BCM complete                                         $93.95     from Bravo
BGC  ––  WOA complete                                       $125.00   from ADCO
Gas Blk -Troy low pro                                          $45.00     from Bravo
Gas Tube ––anywhere                                         $10.00      
Flashider - Base A2 type                                     $8.00        from ADCO or Bravo
FF Rail–– Troy MRF or TRX                                    $230 to $285  depending on which one you want

TOTAL $832.00     plus SH charges

Now you still need a charging handle, LPK and stock maybe some odds and ends.

IIRC my complete upper w/YHM FF rail and matched BCG was $787.  IMO it is THE best value and the proprietary treatment will outlast you and I.  It's a killer upper.

Shoot good ammo, do your part and it will be sub MOA all day long.

Superior Store

They don't have complete uppers listed but give them a call - very nice to deal with and they will build you one.

IMO it is the best of the best.  Check their YouTube videos an the salt water test.  Nothing comes close.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just came to another decision, I'll just go with a free float tube instead of a free float rail.  That would knock another $80-100 off.  Any suggestions on a free float tube?

I have a Bushmaster FF tube 12" long and includes the barrel nut for $55 shipped.  I'd go with a railed HG though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
brightflashlights has  the YHM free float for $47 and their customizable free float forearm where you can add rails to it later in the places you want them for $94

I've been very happy with my brightflashlight orders. I just bought the diamond free float rail last week for my wifes rifle.

I wish they would set up a website so you wouldnt have to call them though

BF = Top Notch Seller
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top