Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 12:38:13 PM EDT
I was dead set on a 20" but after seeing all the awesome SPR rifles on here I am re- thinking. The longest shot I would be trying for would be 500 yards. Would a 18" do the job or should I get the 20"? It would be strictly long range rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the 20" for everything, personally.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was dead set on a 20" but after seeing all the awesome SPR rifles on here I am re- thinking. The longest shot I would be trying for would be 500 yards. Would a 18" do the job or should I get the 20"? It would be strictly long range rifle.

Only you can determine what barrel best suits your needs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Me too. I'm not a cop or a soldier and don't pretend to be one either.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. I'm not a cop or a soldier and don't pretend to be one either.

I'm a soldier. We use 20" barrels.

It all depends on your needs. If you're shooting from a bench, velocity isn't much of a concern (wind drift aside). A 7.5" barrel will send a bullet 500 yards.

If you ever plan on using this rifle outside of prone supported (maybe hunting or just unsupported shooting), I'd go with 18". You don't get much more velocity out of a 20".
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are shooting 55gr bullets, the difference in velocity between 18 and 20in is 18fps, if I recall correctly.  With 77gr bullets the dif in velocity is around 50fps.

Can't find Wes's chart at the moment, but those are roughly the numbers.  My spr is 18in
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for 18" SPRs.   The Mark 12 Mod 1 (and Mod 0) are built to be effective out to 800 meters with 77 gr. SMK bullets.  (MK 262 ammo type.)  You can get this stuff from

Black Hills Ammo.

I have an A2, 20" and a Mark 12 Mod 1 and while it IS true that the A2 is more accurate at shorter ranges (100 to 200 yards, anyway) due to its National Match Bushmaster

heavy barrel, which is a FINE pipe,  the Mark 12 is very nearly as accurate at shorter ranges but comes into its own after 300 yards.   For these longer shots,  it is unquestionably the better rifle, at least with the heavier bullet.

Worst case scenario,  the Mark 12 still beats 1 MOA, easily.  The A2 NM barrel can hit 1/4 MOA groups reliably but only at shorter range.  It opens up disproportionately beyond

300 yards as the lighter bullet slows down a lot and gets moved around by breezes pretty easily.   Or at least, that's what I'm seeing for myself.  YMMV.

I'd definitely put in a vote for an 18" SPR.  It'll do everything the A2 will, and stay effective at longer ranges, too.

CJ

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top