Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 8:38:19 PM EDT
I am looking at giving my wife my LMT Defender (only 200 rounds down the pipe). I want to get another AR for myself and cannot decide what to get-

1) Colt 6920 for $1200
2) Colt 6940 for $????
3) LMT Defender for $1150 or so?

My top end limit is $1400 and I want GOOD quality. Thoughts?

Budget does not include ammo, optics, sling, etc...that is all factored in separately.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Flip a coin.

If you want a rail... go for the 40... or look at putting together a BCM gun... honestly a BCM would be my first choice for a Sub $1400 'workhorse'...  hell... i'd pick a BCM first  for any carbine that i'd be using and abusing...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Get you a lower of choice and get a Bravo midlength. You will never regret it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Why BCM? Are they on par with LMT or Colt?

I bought the LMT because I head they were good. It IS good.

So, is BCM as good?

And is Colt still "Tier 1"?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, BCM, COLT and LMT are all Tier 1.

The BCM is a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]

The only flavor of the week that has always been a constant is Colt.

Two years ago it was LTM / Colt.  Last year it was noveske / colt.  This year it is BCM / Colt.

Whatever.  All good guns.  My favorite rifles are all Colts.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally I stick with what I know and that means Colt. I agree with the other poster that said basically Colt is the consistant brand. I am not worried about what is popular, just what works. I have nothing negative to say about the other brands, but I know Colt.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]
please don't forget to throw daniel defense in this mix,, they make some mighty fine little shooters also... i'm just fighting with myself to keep from ordering one of the spike's uppers that has the DD CHF barrel,, to put on my "painted spike's lower. what a spiffy looking rig!!! from reading the thread about them last week, it appears they are GTG.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Daniel Defense XV
Colt 6920
BCM Middy
LMT Defender 2000

Take your pick.  they are all good.  At this point I would most likely go with the BCM middy.  For a very simple reason too.  I've grown to be very comfortable with a shooting position that puts my hand very far forward on the hand guards.  I find myself running out of room on the carbine length hand guards and the mid length give a bit of extra room.  Combine that with a longer sight radius and a smoother gas system.  It also has no M203 notch in the barrel which is something I like.  

But whatever you decide to go with in this price and quality range you can not go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I may just go for the mid-length because of the strengths you have outlined CT Builder. I will update with pics as soon as I make my decision.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I hear the Colt 6940s are about $1335 shipped at botachtactical.com. I think that is a steal for a quality weapon with a monolithic upper. I went with just the upper because I had different ideas for the lower (2 stage trigger, tango grip, emod stock). I didn't see the point in buying the whole thing just to swap a bucnch of stuff off of the lower. My upper was $944 shipped to FL. LMT is great stuff, but the 6940 was a no brainer for me
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Any of the above will be a great rifle
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Double tap!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a big difference between those. I would give a little edge to Colt for resale value. Other than that get what you like, they all will serve you well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not a big difference between those. I would give a little edge to Colt for resale value. Other than that get what you like, they all will serve you well.

Good point, I never considered the resale factor.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top