Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2009 6:58:52 PM EDT
Picked up an EOTech 512 from the Ft. Worth Gun Show and just mounted it on my M4. I had to put in a 1/2 inch riser because the front site was too much in the way of my view. Now I need some rail covers and a sling. Any suggestions on the best brands?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3154/m41n.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2847/m45w.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/491/m43z.jpg
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Gear Sector makes some great stuff. Customer service is first class too. Both the one and two point slings from them get good reviews.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget the BUIS!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you keep both eyes open when using the sight?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't forget the BUIS!

Won't even work with that riser.

I would suggest ditching that riser and learning to shoot with the front sight visible.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems to work just fine with the riser.  What do you mean it "won't work" with the riser?

EDIT:  Oh you mean the BUIS won't work with the riser.  Gotcha.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t have a riser, if I were to close one eye the front sight will be in my view. The dot is on the front sight post. It should be like you are using a lazier not like looking through a scope.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
So you guys don't think the front sight is annoying?  Maybe I'm just not used to it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
A rear back up sight on the riser would be too high.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems to work just fine with the riser.  What do you mean it "won't work" with the riser?

You have no use of the irons with that riser.  You have no back up iron sight.  With an electronic optic you should have a back up irons.  EOtechs are notorious failure prone optics and it would be a good idea to have irons that are co-witnessed through the RDS.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
How hard is it to remove the front site completely and replace with another gas block.  I actually have a flat gas block on another AR that I'm thinking about switching with this one...if it's even possible.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How hard is it to remove the front site completely and replace with another gas block.  I actually have a flat gas block on another AR that I'm thinking about switching with this one...if it's even possible.

Then you would still have no back ups.  What would be the point?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you would still have no back ups.  What would be the point?

Yeah, that's true.  But aren't the removable front sights a little shorter than the standard front sight?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#13]
What the fellas are trying to get at is you may want to consider what is called "co-witness". Basically its when you can see the red dot when using the front and rear sight. See the picture below for example. With the riser you have on your setup, co-witnessing would not work.

The reason I run my setup this way is that A) my iron sights are always up just in case I don't have a chance to turn the optic on and B) if the red dot goes down I'm still in the fight.

To be honest, the front sight blurs out when shooting as you focus on the dot. The post is still there but my eyes don't see it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What the fellas are trying to get at is you may want to consider at what is called "co-witness". Basically its when you can see the red dot when using the front and rear sight. See the picture below for example. With the riser you have on your setup, co-witnessing would not work.

The reason I run my setup this way is that A) my iron sights are always up and B) if the red dot goes down I'm still in the fight.

Wow, that is really helpful information.  I never thought of doing that.  I'm a total newbie with ARs (as you might have guessed), so I think I'm gonna ditch the riser.  But man that front sight sure is annoying when looking through just the EOTech.  I guess I'll have to get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the fellas are trying to get at is you may want to consider at what is called "co-witness". Basically its when you can see the red dot when using the front and rear sight. See the picture below for example. With the riser you have on your setup, co-witnessing would not work.

The reason I run my setup this way is that A) my iron sights are always up and B) if the red dot goes down I'm still in the fight.

Wow, that is really helpful information.  I never thought of doing that.  I'm a total newbie with ARs (as you might have guessed), so I think I'm gonna ditch the riser.  But man that front sight sure is annoying when looking through just the EOTech. I guess I'll have to get used to it.

I thought I would hate it too. When I got to the range the first time with my EOTech on, I never even noticed the post. Just focus on the small tiny red dot and stuff blurs out.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#16]
A riser like this: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=33 will put the EOtech up high enough that the irons will co-witness through the bottom of the window,  That way you can look over the top of the iron sights and if the dot goes down you can drop your line of sight to look through the irons.

Additionally you can go with a flip up rear sight to keep it out of the way when you are using the EOtech.  Some people prefer the always up irons like pictured before and other prefer the option of folding them down out of the way.  Some prefer absolute co-witness which puts the iron sights in the middle of the sight tube or window and some prefer lower 1/3 co-witness that puts the irons in the lower 1/3 or the sight tube or window.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#17]
So how far back should the BUIS be away from the EOTech?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
When you are using a EoTech or other dot scope, you shoot with both eyes on the target. The dot will appear as if it is painting the target like a lazier that only you can see. the front sight wont be actually in the picture, unless you look for it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gear Sector makes some great stuff. Customer service is first class too. Both the one and two point slings from them get good reviews.

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that is really helpful information.  I never thought of doing that.  I'm a total newbie with ARs (as you might have guessed), so I think I'm gonna ditch the riser.  But man that front sight sure is annoying when looking through just the EOTech.  I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Yankee Hill gas block w/ flip up front sight(or brand of choice) and rear flip up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#21]
With the railed grip you can hang your EoTech off the end of your upper receiver rail and you can fit a 3or4X scope if you want and a flip up rear sight all on the recever.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So how far back should the BUIS be away from the EOTech?

My BUIS is mounted on the very last slot towards the butt end of the rifle.

Edit: Wow that is a terrible pic.
You can still get the idea.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can also chop down the front sight and install a flip up front and rear backup iron sights (buis). that'll give you an unobstructed view of the eotech reticle. this is my preferred setup as i too find the front sight annoying.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can also chop down the front sight and install a flip up front and rear backup iron sights (buis). that'll give you an unobstructed view of the eotech reticle. this is my preferred setup as i too find the front sight annoying.

Where would he install a flip up front sight with a chopped down FSB?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 on removing the riser, putting a buis on the rear, and learning to live with the fsb.

I did a weeks carbine class with a 512 on a 6721 with a fixed fsb.  1750 rounds later, I never even saw the fsb.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't I just remove the standard gas block and replace with a flat-top one?  How hard is it to do this?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can't I just remove the standard gas block and replace with a flat-top one?  How hard is it to do this?

Not very hard.  But it's not a great idea.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes you can do that. Unless you have all the tools to properly do it I would suggest maybe finding a gunsmith to do it. It shouldn't cost very much (~$50 +/-)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for all the replies guys!  I'm off to do some research on the different types of BUIS's out there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he already has a railed handguard so he can mount a troy flip up there or another brand. although i'd recommend a 10" free float...to make it "cleaner". longer sight radius is always a plus.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I never notice my front sight, I just look through it. I run a Troy flip up BUIS and I love it. If the EOTech goes down, Im still fighting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#32]
You will find that without the riser, and using a flip up rear sight that you can co-witness with the BUIS.  You will forget all about the front sight when you come on target.  And if you are used to the irons, when you get into low light situations, turning on the EoTech will be an added bonus, it will greatly assist you in the situations where you transition for light to no light and back.  

If you ever mount a light to the weapon, you will know what I am talking about.  You turn on the light, and sometimes the Eotech will wash out.  If you dont have the Irons, you will have nothing to fall back on.  Going into a tactical scenario, I would be caught without the co-witness aspects of my setup.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no use of the irons with that riser.  You have no back up iron sight.  With an electronic optic you should have a back up irons.  EOtechs are notorious failure prone optics and it would be a good idea to have irons that are co-witnessed through the RDS.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
For rail ladders I'd go with Surefires. They're  the best ladders overall and fit
the Yankee Hill notches perfectly like they were made for them, so well you don't even notice them unless you look.
They're called Surefire Z70 ladders and G&R Tactical carries em'.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:04:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not that hard, but make sure you don’t damage the front tower while removing it, also don’t lose it you won’t be able to install a new one if you decide you don’t like flip ups. I have had one bad experience with flip up sights, my EoTech went down and when I went for my irons they were stuck and full of sand! Once I got them up they wouldn’t lock. They worked good otherwise.
I use a standard front sight now with just a flip up for the rear. I keep it clean and check it’s operation every once and a while. Lesson learned...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What the fellas are trying to get at is you may want to consider what is called "co-witness". Basically its when you can see the red dot when using the front and rear sight. See the picture below for example. With the riser you have on your setup, co-witnessing would not work.

The reason I run my setup this way is that A) my iron sights are always up just in case I don't have a chance to turn the optic on and B) if the red dot goes down I'm still in the fight.

To be honest, the front sight blurs out when shooting as you focus on the dot. The post is still there but my eyes don't see it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/MHarvey124/IMG00011-20090307-0020.jpg

You should be focusing on the target & not the dot when using a red dot sight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he already has a railed handguard so he can mount a troy flip up there or another brand. although i'd recommend a 10" free float...to make it "cleaner". longer sight radius is always a plus.

He has 7" drop in hand guards.  Not only will they not hold zero for a front sight but they will shorten up the radius by about 2."  You can not put a front sight on non-free floating rails.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top