Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 6:18:23 PM EDT
is the bfh upper really worth the extra money? (barrel  forged hamer ) looking for another upper trying to decide if the bfh is worth the extra money your thoughts please.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]

after some extensive research i say NO. that's not to say that there's anything wrong with hammer forged barrels but the current price is way out of line. understand that the equipment needed to make these barrels is not cheap but the process itself is very inexpensive. so in theory IF the machines were paid for the barrels should cost less than standard barrels.

so, after the cool factor wears off and the machines have earned their keep the price on these "new" (not so new) barrels will be much lower.

even after the price drop the hammer forged barrel has no real discernible benefit for the average (or even above average) AR shooter. HF barrels are what you would want in your machine gun but that's not what we're talking about here. if you plan to consistently shoot several thousand rounds a month then you may benefit from the extended life of the HF barrels. like i saw posted in another thread on this topic: if you have the cash to put down for enough ammo that you NEED the extra life of a HF barrel then you can just buy extra "regular" or "mil-spec" barrels, they cost less and work just as well.

try THIS thread for more information.

don't take my word for it. this is just what i've come up with for myself. YOU need to read and ask more questions to see if a HF barrel is what YOU want. if YOU decide that YOU want one then get one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top