Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 5:47:39 AM EDT
Ok, here it is. I am looking to buy my first AR. I am thinking that the first one should be something "stock" - a complete rifle from a recognized manufacturer. I have seen several that I liked- RRA and Daniels Defense come to mind, and I also see the merits of something like a Colt. As much as I think  I'd enjoy doing a build, I think a complete rifle is the way to go for my first.

What do you like / recommend and why?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a DD M4 seems like a great rifle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a trip to your local gun shop and have a look-see.  I'd keep the cost down so you have extra money for ammo and such.

I think, any name brand gun they have is fine, better to be NIB but a slightly used one is OK too, depending on your experience with AR-15s, and as long as the dealer gives you a warrantee in case something is wrong with it. ARs are easy to work on, and I built a few but my first was a Colt. After local laws regarding the AWB hit, I traded if for a RRA and that was a twin to the Colt. I since sold that for a flat top A4 and another from Larue Tactical. These guns could get pricey with the accessories you add. My last 2 cost $7,200 and $3,000 respectively.

Just start slow and allow extra money for SHOOTING!
Below RRA rifle
and below that the Larue Special from parts.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just bought a DD M4 seems like a great rifle.

This would be my first choice if I bought a rifle right now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a great rifle for the money

or

This fine rifle

and a Colt 6920 is always a good bet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]
When you say 'stock', I'd take it one step further. Buy a new, virgin M4 and keep it stock or KISS until you can't put off adding a rail, light, VFG, red dot, i.e., all the extranious crap and clutter you'll get tired of lugging around and take off someday, and learn to use your irons. Check out Stag and Del Ton. Both have CL 1/7 4150 bbl. Cars.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#6]
List of respected manufactures (in no particular order):

Stag
RRA
Bushmaster
Colt
LMT
BCM
Spikes
Daniel Defense

Just stay away from Blackthone/Vulcan/whatever name they go by now

I started off with a complete AR-15 from a respected manufacturer. Shoot it and enjoy. When you want to upgrade you can do so. AR-15s have been called Legos for adults.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're considering a piston gun at all LWRC is an great choices as are SPIKES.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Outstanding inrofmation, folks. I knew this was the right place to be. I have looked some at the local fun store, but don't have enough understanding of the platform to ask good questions, Yet.

If it makes a difference, I am just a hobbiest - a gun nut most likely. I have not owned a rifle since I sold a Mini-14 in the early 90's, but I enjoyed punching holes in paper etc. with that one.

Thanks to all fo the input.

EDIT: Look - my first "fo"!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
If i were to buy a factory rifle right now it would be a 6920 at current prices no reason not to.......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top