Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2009 7:46:13 PM EDT
Newb needs help. I have a chance to get brand new Bushy A1 from friend. I really like the retro look of the fixed carry and a1 sight but would like to put either aimpoint or Eotech for target/home defense on in near future. Is this a do-able and practical combo? I am a big guy so a little higher optic won't be to big of an issue, maybe? How important is co-witness? I have considered changing upper at later date or should I just go ahead and get a flat top or revable A2 now. Also are the A2 sights really any better than A1 iron sights? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
I have been searching the forum and just have not been able to locate these answers.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
get the flat-top.  my first AR had the carry handle; it sucked trying to mount an optic on it.

bought a colt 6920 and havent looked back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep the A1 and make it and IDF carbine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be stupid question, but what is IDF Carbine?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
What's your friends rifle going for? if it is a great deal, I would say go for it and build another to better specs. KISS aint all bad, tho'
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Might be stupid question, but what is IDF Carbine?

Israeli Defense Forces...

welcome to arfcom, here are some pics to facilitate understanding IDF...

keep the A1, you'll wish you had it when you get another ebr and another, and another, and another, and another...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice pics. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
If it's a good deal, I'd buy it and then get a second upper with a flat top at a later date.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Keep the A1 upper .
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Do the flattop, then buy a detachable A1 carry handle.  http://www.cncguns.com/misc.html

The best way to "get both" in this situation, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do the flattop, then buy a detachable A1 carry handle.  http://www.cncguns.com/misc.html

Great concept! If you already have a flattop and want the A1 look without the commitment, this is a way to do it.

I like everything about it except for the fact that it costs almost as much as a stripped A1 upper.

I don't think I would build one from the ground up this way, though. To me, the A1 is about simplicity and flattops are not.

If my wife's AR ever becomes reality, it will be an A1. She wants it, but with things the way they are right now, she just isn't willing to commit money to it. And since it's "hers" she has to sign off on it.

If it were "mine" I would build it regardless, and find a way to finance it. But then it could never  truly be "hers" even though I gave it to her.

It gets even more complicated from there...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't think its the best way to get both...
if the OP likes the A1 sights, then flat top with a detachable A1 sight (ie. DD or LaRue) would be best,
BUT
if the OP thinks there is versatility in having the carry handle, then an A1 or A2 upper would be best, because a detachable carry handle should really just be called a big ugly sight that you can't fit your hand in...

to the op: if you like the carry handle being integrated into the receiver, get the A1 receiver. BUT if you just like the sights, get a flat top receiver and a detachable A1 sight (~$80)

I have a few flattops, yet I still find myself gravitating toward my 20" gov't A1 or IDF carbine clone...

$67

$89
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]
get the A1, it is the ultimate KISS and defense AR. I am building one right now for just that purpose. There is time for you to decide on or get a flattop, and all the EXTRA "goodies" later on. Get the A1 first, learn to shoot it, then branch out to something else IF you want....<><....:)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to add an eotech or aimpoint, get a flat top.  IMHO, mounting on top of the carry handle sucks, I tried it once.  Like others have said, if its a great deal ($700 or so depending on used condition), go ahead and get it because it won't be your last.  If you like the irons but want to add the optic, you'll end up shooting the optic.  This would be a good one to keep simple "KISS."  But, if its more than $700 (tops) i'd pass.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

(speechless)

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all of the coments and advice. Picked up the A1 last night. Threw in a handle mount and Bushnell trophy red dot he had also. Can not wait to go shred some paper. Will try to get a pic up soon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Chicks, booze and guns on a beach.....wtf more could any of us really want in life.....maybe a steak every now and then. I have a A1 Bushy and I like its simplicity. Get a flat top spare upper...of course then you'll get another lower but that is the way to go. I went that way too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top