Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:14 PM EDT
I see you can get blemished KAC RAS for $150.  They normally list for around $350 if I'm not mistaken. I know KAC has a good reputation on this forum and the military uses them.   Is the blemished rail a better deal than say an unblemished Troy or MI for $140?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You can find them new on the EE, Ebay or Gunbroker for less than $200, with rail covers and VFG, just check around
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Those blemished rails are a good deal.  As for whether it's better than another brand, that depends on your preferences.  Keep in mind that the RAS can usually be found new or liek new in the EE for significantly less than retail.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses, I would hate to let a really good deal get away and not know any better.  Anyone know why or the history behind why the military chose the KAC RAS over others?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses, I would hate to let a really good deal get away and not know any better.  Anyone know why or the history behind why the military chose the KAC RAS over others?

There were no others when they chose them and KAC is tops.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one of the blems from them last week.  The only thing wrong with it was the "L" markings were etched on the right side rail, and the "R" marks were on the left side rail.  I'm pretty sure I'll survive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have KAC rails and I really like mine. I bought mine off the EE for $190 with vfg and rail covers shipped. Where are the blems at?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Direct from KAC on their webstore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one. Won't buy another.  I'd rather have a free float.  It was part of the deal of the century though. So I can't bitch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought one of the blems from them last week.  The only thing wrong with it was the "L" markings were etched on the right side rail, and the "R" marks were on the left side rail.  I'm pretty sure I'll survive.

What all was included?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
i got mine brand new off the EE for $160 shipped (with covers and VFG)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What all was included?

The new (blem) RAS with three new 11 rib panels.  Came in a new box and plastic bag just like other KAC stuff.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
KAC makes quality stuff, however the price is very inflated. Whenever the military, better yet special forces, adopts a piece of gear the demand rises. Supply usually goes down due to the military contract. High demand, low supply = high price. Take the KAC VFG for example, $30-50 (since the last time i checked) for a new knights VFG, besides the logo, no different than the off brand $15 VFGs. If your concerned with name brand or military authenticity, buy the KAC, but my MI rail has all the function of a KAC rail at 40% of the price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
KAC makes quality stuff, however the price is very inflated. Whenever the military, better yet special forces, adopts a piece of gear the demand rises. Supply usually goes down due to the military contract. High demand, low supply = high price. Take the KAC VFG for example, $30-50 (since the last time i checked) for a new knights VFG, besides the logo, no different than the off brand $15 VFGs. If your concerned with name brand or military authenticity, buy the KAC, but my MI rail has all the function of a KAC rail at 40% of the price.

I own 7 KAC rails and while expensive they are much nicer in every way than my MI which is not junk.  I also have 3 DD, 2 Troy and a Samson.  KAC is by far the best.  Are they worth the extra money?  To me they are.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Got mine on ebay with rail covers and VFG and a grippod which i sold for 75$ for 200$
so i basically only paid $125, then sold the extra rail covers for 10$ each (3 of them) so i paid 95$

Only rail I will ever put on my carbines.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I may well be wrong, but I believe I read that KAC is the only company that machines their rails from a solid aluminum forged billet.

I know Daniel Defense rails are machined from extruded aluminum, I don't know about Larue.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the idea of the heat shields KAC rails have. To me it seems the correct thing to have is heat shields. I'm no expert, but I don't think anyone else bothers to include them into their design.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like the idea of the heat shields KAC rails have. To me it seems the correct thing to have is heat shields. I'm no expert, but I don't think anyone else bothers to include them into their design.

I've noticed that too.  Only other rail for sure I know has a heat shield is the Colt 6940.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've noticed that too.  Only other rail for sure I know has a heat shield is the Colt 6940.

I don't think it is an accident Uncle Sam wants heat shields. No suprise Colt and KAC does it. I'm suprised no one else that I know of does it. I kind of think it might be important safety issue.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#20]
KAC are also one of the lightes 2 piece nonFF rails compared to YHM, MI, Surefire, etc
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top