Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 4:02:41 AM EDT
Do the aluminum handguards get hot enough to melt 'say a tape switch' if it were installed between 2 rail covers?

Not sure where I want to place mine yet and curious if the heat is that hot?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
My aluminum handrail gets warm enough after ~30 mins of steady semi-auto fire that holding it with my bare hand is rather uncomfortable, but I doubt the temps of the handguard would get to the melting point of plastic or even the soft rubber coating on cabling. I've seen pics of wiring run through metal handguards, but have no idea of the cyclic rate sustained by those weapons. Also consider there are a number of popular rail protectors (ladder style) made of plastic/rubber.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not too sure why you'd place your switch between two panels, but no my railsdont get hot enough to melt plastic or rubber.

You probably want the TD covers that have switch pockets or a vfg that will accomodate switches.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, you're right, I probably don't want my tape switch between the rails but saw it done that way and was curious.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top