Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 8:39:31 PM EDT
Here's the deal: I've owned an M&P15T for about two years now. I bought it as a personally-owned patrol rifle, hence the quad rail. I quickly mounted an EOTech, a VFG, and a light, and a Vltor Modtsock, and it was good to go. It has served me well, too, enduring countless shifts in the front seat, search warrants, and calls. However, I noticed as time went on that for a carbine, the damn thing is heavy and bulky. WIth only the light and grip, I don't use but a small section of rail––the rest just seems to eat up uniforms (and skin). When not at work, it seems I reach for my regular old carbine more than the M&P, just because it's lighter and sleeker. It has occurred to me that I now have a 10-pound rifle (with thousands of dollars in it) that has little versatility outside its LE role.

So I've been thinking of trading the -15T for a regular -15A (or maybe a -15X). My thinking is that I could purchase a high quality non-FF rail and put my light and VFG on it for duty, and keep the standard handguards for when I want something handier, say a casual range trip or in the event of SHTF. Am I crazy for not always wanting a rail on the gun? Or wanting to lighten and simplify the weapon? I figure I could trade the -15T close to even for a new -15A (sans the accessories).

As a side question, is the rail on the -15X FF or non-FF? I checked their site and it did not specify.

Thanks for your opinion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The 15X is Non-FF.

Is it an option to just buy another one and keep the T? I have a T and like it alot. But I don't have to carry it daily. Personnal preference.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the X for SWAT its non free float
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I suppose it could be a possibility in the not-so-near future, but I believe I have no need for all of the rail space that's on the T.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm assuming the non-FF is Troy also, like on the T?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
yes it Troy
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok Thanks. I like the Troy rail.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Sell the Troy rail and buy something lighter. Troy rails are heavier than the competition.

What light/VFG setup do you have? Lots of weight can be shaved there sometimes...

Also, get some rail covers, even if you just use ladder style covers, they're better than grabbing just the rail.

Also, you may consider putting some batteries in the stock, this will help balance out the weight - yes, it adds weight, but if you have all the weight up front, it feels heavier than it actually is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe use the regular/MOE handguards and attach small pieces of rail for your light?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sell the Troy rail and buy something lighter. Troy rails are heavier than the competition.

What light/VFG setup do you have? Lots of weight can be shaved there sometimes...

Also, get some rail covers, even if you just use ladder style covers, they're better than grabbing just the rail.

Also, you may consider putting some batteries in the stock, this will help balance out the weight - yes, it adds weight, but if you have all the weight up front, it feels heavier than it actually is.

87GN,

It's nothing fancy––a Surefire G2 and a TD VFG. I have the factory rail covers on it now. And yes, I have AAs for the Eotech in the stock and 123s for the Gs in the grip.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I find myself wanting to shoot my LM&T Defender 2K a lot more then my S&W15T. The extra stuff is cool but many time not needed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not just buy an additional upper and switch out as needed? You can pick up a second lower as finances allow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe use the regular/MOE handguards and attach small pieces of rail for your light?

+1.  The MOE handguards are great.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top