Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 7:16:21 PM EDT
I have a colt 6920 with a CTR on it and I am wondering if there is anything I can upgrade to make the rifle better? I have another AR that I built that I will use for extra parts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Optic? Trigger? Handguard? Grip? Irons? BCG? Barrel? etc...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a colt 6920 with a CTR on it and I am wondering if there is anything I can upgrade to make the rifle better?  

Weaponlight
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
is it free floated, well worth the money
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a colt 6920 with a CTR on it and I am wondering if there is anything I can upgrade to make the rifle better? I have another AR that I built that I will use for extra parts.

The rifle is only as good as the operator.

Mags, Ammo, Training.

A good sling and an optic help too

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
weapon light, and a red dot. and sling.

all a man needs.

then training and ammo.............lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]

all a man needs.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

all a man needs.

+1

My 6920 also benefited from a Bill Springfield trigger job, in my case it was needed.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
In order:

Sling (padded VCAS)
Light (Surefire or ...)
Red dot (Aimpoints on Larue w/ KAC BUIS)
Mags (Pmags)
Ammo (Wolf for practice, 5.56 TAP for business)
Training
Practice
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing can really make it better.  Maybe a hi tech BCG, but most people consider the Colt BCG already as good as you can hope for.  Heavier buffer might make it smoother.  A free-float rail might make it more accurate.  A good trigger is a great start.  It'll make you happier in every way.

Everything else really just makes the gun more flexible.  A good RDS really speeds me up.

Training and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a aimpoint ML3 with a burris 3x magnifier, and everything else is stock. I was thinking of a heavier buffer, what is this free floating you are talking about. the handguards, or the barrel. I might be interested in free floating hand guards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Daniel Defense Omega for a good FF quad rail that is easy to install... and that's light as hell...

Padded VTac sling or a Vickers...

VTac(or larue) lightmount and a good flashlight...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Lucky_Lefty

I am wondering if there is anything I can upgrade to make the rifle better?  

Yes....Your ability to use it.......Because the gun already had ther ability to  out shoot you out of the box........
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]
A sling that fits your needs...

A light if you are going to use it in low light situations...

A Red Dot sight (Eotech is my preference)...

Foregrip if you need more dexerity options...

LOTS OF FULL MAGAZINES....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
1. Dry fire practice
2. Range time/instruction
3. Trigger (Bill Springfield trigger job or an AR-Gold!)
4. Free float hg if you actually USE the sling for stability

Nothing else I see listed will have as big an impact on your ACCURACY than a better trigger.  A Bill trigger job was worth 20 points in High Power (iron sights) shooting.  The AR-Gold trigger job was worth another 10.  Out of 500 points, that is MAJOR increase in accuracy.  And I am far from expert.

Improving a rifle starts with more accuracy, in my book.  Even at 100 yards or less where a rifle is more likely to be used, every inch of accuracy is valuable.  Then consider what you need to be able to SEE the target, like a good light.  I use iron sights mostly, and with night inserts, they work better than red dots FOR ME.  The EOtech I have is not as accurate for me, given daylight, as iron sights, and takes a little longer to acquire the sight picture.  However, the benefit of using both eyes with the red dot is nice, where I focus on the front iron sight and mentally ignore the left eye input (since I keep it open.)

Light rifles are great for carrying, but I load the buttstock with lead so the rifle STAYS on target after firing.  My match 223 20" does not leave the bullseye after a shot - due to 3# of lead in the butt...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Leave the trigger along on that gun.  It's a carbine not a race gun or a national match gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 for leaving the trigger alone.
Reliable red dot optic, sling and light and you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I to am in the same boat with my 6920. In reality there is is to me just three basic things every LE6920 should have improved on out of the box

The factory sling upgraded: Something more usable.

The trigger:  To me it should be a bit better even as a CQ weopon and should be on the up-grade list of things to do sooner than later.

The standard M4 stock: While it works it isn't great. Many to choose from per owner taste and needs.

Everything else is based really on owner/operators wants and needs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sell it and buy a Noveske
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell it and buy a Noveske

hahahaha +1
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't have a Colt 6920 but I have a 6721, here's how I upgraded mine.

BCM bolt extractor upgrade kit
Surefire weaponlight
Aimpoint dot sight
Troy BUIS
LaRue free float rails, LaRue FUG/ TangoDown VFG
Magpul XTM rail panels, trigger guard, MIAD grip and PMAG
Norgon ambi mag catch
LMT ambi selector
Vltor EMOD complete stock kit
Vickers/ Viking Tactics-LaRue two point sling

Most of these are just my own personal preference, you could start with the bolt extractor upgrade kit and PMAG first for reliability then weaponlight, BUIS, optic, rails, and sling, the rest is up to you which components you would like to upgrade next.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sure there are lots of things you could upgrade, but you have to figure out what you want the rifle for. Me? I like them simple. So I'd get mags and ammo. Maybe a red dot site of some sort. I like aimpoint. But past that? Nope. Mags and ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top