Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:51:47 PM EDT
Hi.  I am doing some research in preparing to purchase my first AR15.  I would want to buy a complete AR.  My problem is that I live in NY and must abide by their idiotic laws.  Olympic Arms has a plinker in .223 for $599, with an A2.  From my understanding, I could not put any optics on an A2 nor does it have iron sights.  I understand that I could also change out uppers to a .556 later on.
Any suggestions regarding A2 to an A3?
All help would be greatly appreciated, I really would like to stay around $800 and I see that some prices are dropping.

Thanks,
Corey823
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi.  I am doing some research in preparing to purchase my first AR15.  I would want to buy a complete AR.  My problem is that I live in NY and must abide by their idiotic laws.  Olympic Arms has a plinker in .223 for $599, with an A2.  From my understanding, I could not put any optics on an A2 nor does it have iron sights.  I understand that I could also change out uppers to a .556 later on.
Any suggestions regarding A2 to an A3?
All help would be greatly appreciated, I really would like to stay around $800 and I see that some prices are dropping.

Thanks,
Corey823

An A2 indeed has fixed front and rear iron sights.  The rear sight is housed in the non-removable carry handle.  If you want to add an optic then don't get an A2, get something with a flat top upper.  Olympic is not thought of too highly around here,  personally I have no experience with them, but if I were you I'd save a few hundred dollars more and get something with a better reputation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Go colt if you can, bushy, rra, dpms....but olympic is not the best choice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You can actually mount an optic on the carry handle of an A2 riffle but the ergonomics may not suit you.  If you have the choice, go with an A3 because a flattop is better suited for optics.  Also, be sure to factor in the price of magazines and ammo into your budget.  BTW, welcome to ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest you check out Bravo Company (BCM) and see what quality guns go for.  

Bravo Company USA

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The absolute best bang for the buck is Bravo Company
If you are required to have a pinned muzzle brake and pinned collapsible stock

ADCO

Check out the two companies in their Industry Forums by clicking on them in the above header

hth
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would suggest you check out Bravo Company (BCM) and see what quality guns go for.  

Bravo Company USA

I just built a NY compliant BCM middy and couldn't be happier!  Short of falling into a heck of a deal, I don't know that $800 is a realistic budget for a quality AR and the extra cost to make it ban compliant.  If possible, buy from one of the site vendors, such as Denny's, who can shave a bayo lug and pin a muzzle brake for you when you buy the upper from them.  Your local FFL should be able to pin an adjustable stock for you for a nominal charge or swap out for a fixed stock.  Other accessories, pre-ban mags, etc. can all be found in the EE here.  

Pay a little extra for a top quality AR and you won't be sorry.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd also vote check out bravo. If you have questions about what you can and can't have, check out the hometown area on this site, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone in your area that would be happy to help you out. Welcome, and enjoy the site!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
PK Firearms has Bushmaster AWB compliant barrel assemblies in stock.

ADCO is the place to go for compliance work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
OK.  Dumb question.  If I buy a complete lower and send it to an FFL, then buy a compliant upper, am I done with except for the customization?  It seems a bit too easy.

Thanks,
Corey
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope.  That's about it.  Of course the complete rifle you assemble from the upper and lower must be NY compliant.

Found this reference online:

New York State Rifle and Pistol Association - NY Gun Laws

I'm so glad I live in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK.  Dumb question.  If I buy a complete lower and send it to an FFL, then buy a compliant upper, am I done with except for the customization?  It seems a bit too easy.

Thanks,
Corey

Yup it's that easy! I find that to be the best wya to do it anymore. I second the idea of ADCO or Denny's/GTS!

Bravo is great and everyone knows it but these "budget minded" threads seem to be popping up with surprising frequency lately and unfortunately while Bravo is an excellent value they don't fit the sub-$1000 criteria of most of these budget minded buyers' threads.

f you can save for a couple months to get the extra $400 that it'll take to get a BCM rifle and make it ban compliant, DO IT! Otherwise contact ADCO or Denny's/GTS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
When you are shopping for a "complete upper," be sure it includes bolt and carrier assembly.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top