Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2009 9:20:44 AM EDT
Where do you buy your "ban legal" uppers? I was thinking about building an AR for my father and he lives in CT. From what I understand, if we have the removeable magazine and pistol grip we have to have no bayonet lug, no flash hider (but can have a comp) and a non-collapsible stock. Thankfully, he likes the A2 hard stock better anyway so that fixes that part!

I appreciate any and all help. I tend to shop online so if you could find me a good upper receiver online that would be best. I was really hoping to go with a BCM upper but they can't customize it for a ban state.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Stag based in CT makes some.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]

That's great. My dad shot my AR last time he came to visit and really seemed to enjoy it. Made me think of getting him his own for his birthday or Christmas. Would you recommend buying a pre-built "ban" upper or should I just buy a regular upper and go to work on it?

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I have most of the tools but it would be my first time fully assembling an upper. I don't feel confident in torquing down the barrel mostly because the vice I have is not the best. I'd need a new vice to feel confident to put that kind of torque on it.

Edit: So, I should probably buy a complete upper with barrel on it. It would be nice though if I could buy it with the bayonet lug dremeled off and a comp on instead of a flash hider. Any places that allow you to customize your upper to those specifications?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a great picture.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Father also lives in CT.  My kids and I made him an A4 for Christmas last year.  We used a Bushmaster A2 barrel that had the bayonet lug removed and a Cav Comp permanently attached.

Dad with his rifle:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/mdar15manager/Personal/IMG_3043.jpg

Very cool
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Here ya go. You could always make a non-compliant upper ban friendly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#10]
All is not lost if you want a BCM upper. I'd buy it, then ship it to ADCO. They will remove the bayonet lug and refinish it for $15. They will permanently attach any muzzle device for $30. Work is top notch!
http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=5
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All is not lost if you want a BCM upper. I'd buy it, then ship it to ADCO. They will remove the bayonet lug and refinish it for $15. They will permanently attach any muzzle device for $30. Work is top notch!

That would probably be the best choice since it allows you to still get him a BCM like you originally wanted. You could always buy an upper or rifle from Adco and have them do all the work for you before it ships

I bought my first AR when I lived in NJ and I simply ordered it from Pete @ Legal Transfers BUT any factory orders like this will likely take a looong time now-a-days.

PK has a 14.5" ban-compliant Bushy upper @ $535, 16" no brake @ $500.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy whatever you want and have Adco modify it. They do great work and that way you can get him the rifle you wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
call Armalite and have them put this barrel on one of their uppers for you and send it to you....I have 2 of them, both are tack drivers and the whole barrel assembly is on sale and in stock for 200 bucks   link:   http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=B15A2-2&Category=a5c527d6-017c-40c2-80f2-59e99534f863
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is what I would do.

Or you can be a real good son and get him a preban manufactured lower so he will be exempt from the AWB regs
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I come from one of those crummy ban states on NJ and this is what I am doing.  I bought a LaRue Stealth upper and its being sent to ADCO from LaRue to Pin on a PWS FSC 556 and to pin my Magpul ACS stock for me.   Well this is how I plan on doing it to be compliant here in NJ.  

Now I have never had anything done by ADCO but from what I have heard is that ADCO does top notch stuff.

Best of luck

Brian
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for ADCO.  You might also want to consider a PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) FSC556 as the muzzle device to be perm attached.   BATFE deems it non-flash hiding.

Yes, CT blows.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, CT blows.

Once again - if you purchase preban lowers you can skirt the BS AWB all together.  On the plus side we don't have mag restrictions so we are better off than the other ban states.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, CT blows.

Once again - if you purchase preban lowers you can skirt the BS AWB all together.  On the plus side we don't have mag restrictions so we are better off than the other ban states.

Fair enough CTbuilder1.  And you are correct in pointing out that we have it better than some of our neighboring states.  I've just had a difficult time finding preban lowers without some issues (PMags dropping free, fitting reasonably well with most uppers, etc.), so the preban lower solution hasn't been seamless for me so far.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#19]
If you can find him an all preban rifle.

I would look for an SP1 or something along thoes lines.

Here in VA I have seen at least 5 preban Colts for sale in the 1100.00-1300.00 range in the last month.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All of my AR's are set up in the post-ban configuration.  If you want a BCM...or any other upper...buy it and get your brake of choice pinned and welded and the bayo lug (if you have a FSB) neutered.  I can tell you firsthand that Adco does a great job and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!

Here are some considerations when buying an upper to comply with post ban regulations:

1) Send your new upper right out to have the muzzle brake pinned.  Or, ask if the dealer/vendor will ship it to your smith of choice directly.  
2) Choosing a railed handguard without a FSB eliminates the need to have the bayo lug neutered.
3) You may wish to buy the upper from a vendor who will do the work for you.  I bought a LMT lower, basic carbine upper, and FSC556 from Denny's/GTS who also pinned/welded it for me and neutered the bayo lug for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.  Denny did an OUTSTANDING pin job and he just so happens to sell BCM uppers as well.  MSTN is another vendor who could sell you an upper and pin a brake for you.

Don't let your state's AWB get in the way of owing your desired AR15.  With a little bit of extra cost and patience, you can own a great rifle.  While you're waiting for that upper to come back, join the NRA and call your elected officials to let them know you think your state's AWB is only costing you more money instead of putting criminals behind bars.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Here in VA I have seen at least 5 preban Colts for sale in the 1100.00-1300.00 range in the last month.

No go on preban Colts in CT.  Our AWB specifically bans the "Colt AR15" and "Colt Sporter" by name.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would look for an SP1 or something along those lines.

No go on preban Colts in CT.  Our AWB specifically bans the "Colt AR15" and "Colt Sporter" by name.

Wow that does not leave much in the way of quality manufacturers for preban stuff then.

The neutered BCM would be my choice then.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow...and CT is where they are made!!! Banning hometown products...that's insane!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would look for an SP1 or something along those lines.

Wow that does not leave much in the way of quality manufacturers for preban stuff then.

The neutered BCM would be my choice then.

Basically you just get a preban stripped lower and add your quality parts into it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow...and CT is where they are made!!! Banning hometown products...that's insane!!

We can have any Colt that is not marked "AR15" or "Sporter."  Insane, indeed
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No go on preban Colts in CT. Our AWB specifically bans the "Colt AR15" and "Colt Sporter" by name.

Even more insane, the State of CT was heavily invested in the company at the time.

Liberals are insane.   They tend to bite the hand that feeds them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Dnny's Global Tactical (site sponsor) will do any work you need also. he also builds his own uppers and can make one how you want it with whatever parts you want. he also carries BCM. Noveske will build a post ban upper as well as CMMG, Larue will have it done, G and R tactical, Rainier Arms will have mods done if you buy an upper from them also.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Another vote for ADCO.  You might also want to consider a PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) FSC556 as the muzzle device to be perm attached.   BATFE deems it non-flash hiding.

FWIW, I live in CT and just went thru the process of getting a BCM AWB compliant.  Sent my middy to ADCO.  Had them perm a PWS FSC556, grind off the bayo lugs and refinish, and slap on a LaRue 9.0 as well.  Also have some lowers with pinned stocks lying around.  Here is a quick pic.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, CT blows.

Yup, besides the easy to skirt AWB, we have it pretty good compared to our neighboring states, MA, NJ, NY, RI. Class 3 friendly, guns are plentiful and easy to get as long as you have your pistol permit, black rifles are everywhere, all in all it's not too bad here.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:03:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-The AWB bans all the "evil" things.
-Having a pre-ban lower "skirts" this issue, and the AWB has no effect on pre-ban items.

So wouldn't a pre-ban Colt lower not be effected by the AWB.  Meaning the fact that it is named specifically, really doesn't matter.  Just like how the AWB bans flash hiders, telescoping stocks, etc.......but if it's on a pre-ban lower, it's good to go.

I know CT's AWB is a little different than NY's, but as far as I know, we can have pre-ban Colt's (even with the dreaded specific name) on them, in NY.......because they're pre-ban.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Having a pre-ban lower "skirts" this issue, and the AWB has no effect on pre-ban items.

So wouldn't a pre-ban Colt lower not be effected by the AWB.  Meaning the fact that it is named specifically, really doesn't matter.  Just like how the AWB bans flash hiders, telescoping stocks, etc.......but if it's on a pre-ban lower, it's good to go.

I know CT's AWB is a little different than NY's, but as far as I know, we can have pre-ban Colt's (even with the dreaded specific name) on them, in NY.......because they're pre-ban.

New Jersey is the same as Connecticut. Pre ban lowers are banned by name, so they aren't legal either. Pre ban mags also aren't legal. Even if you have a pre ban lower in post ban config, you're still breaking the law.

But if you have a post ban lower in post ban config, you're fine.

That should solve the problem of people getting shot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I got my Stag Model 5HL at the beginning of this month, when I ordered it back at the end of June in the comments box I said that I needed it to be legal in NY so they took off the bayonet lug and permanently attached the muzzle break at no extra charge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought my Mass compliant AR from Fulton Armory

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

And an SDM upper from White Oak Armory:

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Put the upper on an LMT lower with A2 stock...nice shooter
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In CT all named weapons are banned regardless of pre or postban status.  Colt "AR15" and "Sporter" are banned by name.  Period.  A Colt 6920 "Law Enforcement Carbine" would be legal to own in post ban configuration.  A Colt 6520 "AR-15A2" is banned wether it is pre ban or post ban manufactured and regarldless of the configuration.

Any other brand or model of AR15 style weapon is leagal to own.  If they are manufactured before 9.13.94 then they are considered preban and can have all the "evil features."  If thet are manufactured after 9.13.94 then they are considered post ban and have to be configured as such.

We have no magazine restrictions in the state.  We can have brand new Pmags, beta mages, whatever mags.  That goes for rifles and pistols.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
New Jersey is the same as Connecticut. Pre ban lowers are banned by name, so they aren't legal either. Pre ban mags also aren't legal. Even if you have a pre ban lower in post ban config, you're still breaking the law.

But if you have a post ban lower in post ban config, you're fine.

That should solve the problem of people getting shot.

Not exactly the same; NJ and CT.  In NJ, the term "pre-ban" has zero bearing on anything.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In CT all named weapons are banned regardless of pre or postban status.  Colt "AR15" and "Sporter" are banned by name.  Period.  A Colt 6920 "Law Enforcement Carbine" would be legal to own in post ban configuration.  A Colt 6520 "AR-15A2" is banned wether it is pre ban or post ban manufactured and regarldless of the configuration.

Any other brand or model of AR15 style weapon is leagal to own.  If they are manufactured before 9.13.94 then they are considered preban and can have all the "evil features."  If thet are manufactured after 9.13.94 then they are considered post ban and have to be configured as such.

We have no magazine restrictions in the state.  We can have brand new Pmags, beta mages, whatever mags.  That goes for rifles and pistols.

Gotcha.  I was thinking it was along the lines of NY, where as long as it's preban, nothing in the AWB applies to it.

Thanks for the clarification.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top