Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 9:16:03 PM EDT
Hi,

Right now, I only have one ar-15(got it about a year ago). It was a impulse buy but i am happy with my purchse and its a great rifle no problems and accurate.  So far i have a light and a verticle grip on a standard rail, (oh the gun is a m4-gery). YHM FH, i got some mags and ammo so im good on that. I want a optic, rail, good sling, magpul MIAD grip and a CTR.

My problem is since this was a impulse buy, i got a fixed carry handle. I like it but for what i want a flat top is better. I eventally plan on swapping out the fixed carry handle for a flat top but for now i really want a optic. I might go aimpoint or EoTech, maybe even the bushnell holo sight. So for my temperary fix to my problem that I think might work is to get the optic i want, then get the rail i want. Then i put the optic on the rail and i can use irons and still use the optic, or at least this is what i am hoping. I dont like carry handle mounted optics espacially if it is a EoTech (looks funny).

Does anybody know if my idea will work or if they can try it for me if they have the parts? If i am not clear in this post please ask me to explain it more.

Sorry for bad grammer/punctiation i am on my cell phone
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi,

Right now, I only have one ar-15(got it about a year ago). It was a impulse buy but I am happy with my purchase and its a great rifle no problems and accurate.  So far I have a light and a vertical grip on a standard rail, (oh the gun is a m4-gery). YHM FH, I got some mags and ammo so I'm good on that. I want a optic, rail, good sling, magpul MIAD grip and a CTR.

My problem is since this was a impulse buy, I got a fixed carry handle. I like it but for what I want a flat top is better. I eventually plan on swapping out the fixed carry handle for a flat top but for now I really want a optic. I might go Aimpoint or EoTech, maybe even the Bushnell holo sight. So for my temporary fix to my problem that I think might work is to get the optic I want, then get the rail I want. Then I put the optic on the rail and I can use irons and still use the optic, or at least this is what I am hoping. I don't like carry handle mounted optics especially if it is a EoTech (looks funny).

Does anybody know if my idea will work or if they can try it for me if they have the parts? If I am not clear in this post please ask me to explain it more.

Sorry for bad grammar/punctuation I am on my cell phone

Can't speak to an Aimpoint, and It all depends on which Eotech you want,I have a 557 with a detachable handle (which I never use) and as I sit here lining it up, It appears to work on mine, but I can't guaranty it'll work on an a2 upper, I also know that some Eotechs are smaller and may sit lower on the rail. . For about $100 you can get a good stripped flattop upper, I'd recommend just jumping in and buying one before you spend the money on the optic. It'll solve a lot of problems and you won't have to compromise now and buy stuff twice. Just my .02!

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Right now, I only have one ar-15(got it about a year ago). It was a impulse buy but I am happy with my purchase and its a great rifle no problems and accurate.  So far I have a light and a vertical grip on a standard rail, (oh the gun is a m4-gery). YHM FH, I got some mags and ammo so I'm good on that. I want a optic, rail, good sling, magpul MIAD grip and a CTR.

My problem is since this was a impulse buy, I got a fixed carry handle. I like it but for what I want a flat top is better. I eventually plan on swapping out the fixed carry handle for a flat top but for now I really want a optic. I might go Aimpoint or EoTech, maybe even the Bushnell holo sight. So for my temporary fix to my problem that I think might work is to get the optic I want, then get the rail I want. Then I put the optic on the rail and I can use irons and still use the optic, or at least this is what I am hoping. I don't like carry handle mounted optics especially if it is a EoTech (looks funny).

Does anybody know if my idea will work or if they can try it for me if they have the parts? If I am not clear in this post please ask me to explain it more.

Sorry for bad grammar/punctuation I am on my cell phone

Can't speak to an Aimpoint, and It all depends on which Eotech you want,I have a 557 with a detachable handle (which I never use) and as I sit here lining it up, It appears to work on mine, but I can't guaranty it'll work on an a2 upper, I also know that some Eotechs are smaller and may sit lower on the rail. . For about $100 you can get a good stripped flattop upper, I'd recommend just jumping in and buying one before you spend the money on the optic. It'll solve a lot of problems and you won't have to compromise now and buy stuff twice. Just my .02!

I see what your saying. But i plan on buying the optic and rail that i want when i do get the flat top. I figured i would give it a try and if it doesnt work ill just wait to get my flat top.

Thank you  very much for trying it for me.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like you're gonna end up spending as much getting an RDS mounted to your A2 as you would just buying an M4. keep in mind, you can probably get $50 for the A2 once you pull it off, to offset your cost.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top