Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 11:14:34 AM EDT
I know I've thrown a lot out there for my first post but I appreciate the feedback.

Semper Fi,

Joe
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
EOTechs have a 1 MOA dot, so it should only cover 1" on the target at 100 yards, perhaps it was turned up too bright.

I prefer carbines simply because they are lighter and more maneuverable, but I do have an A4 in my collection.  I hate feixed carry handles because they really limit your ability to add an optic if you feel so inclined.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of 1911?  No way to know if this is a good trade without determining the value of your pistol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to talk dollars, just how much is one of your 1911's worth?  A complete RR lower is about 300, say maybe another 100 for the 2-stage, consider you can't touch any upper for around 400 bucks, is your 1911 worth more than 700?

RR makes good stuff and LMT is a respectable company too.  That won't have the value of a colt, but it is still a good rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
hey thanks for the reply guys.  I'm figuring that the ar is worth in the vacinity of 800 minimum and the 1911 is worth that.  well let me rephrase my questions then and I apologize for not being completely clear in what I'm looking for from you all.  I'd like to focus on the ar since I don't have a lot of experience there.

I know many people are doing their own builds and since this was a production RRA prior to him getting an LMT upper, is this a benefit or a negative?  It has a front site post and flat top so I'm under the impression that I can add either a carrier handle with iron rear site aperature or an optical site.  Is this in fact the case?

When it comes to a 16" barrel, what is the maximum effective range realistically?

thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer a flat top even if I'm going to use a carry handle. It gives you all you want from an A2 plus the option to use a scope or optic later down the road. Lots of guys prefer to have a standard front sight base. No other front sight is as sturdy. Even if you get the collapsible stock, it's easy to change out to an A2. I don't own one factory rifle anymore. Mine are all builds. I pick the parts and configuration I want and put it together. Yes, resale value is more with a factory rifle, but that doesn't make it a better rifle.
In my experience, 16" barrelled upper is good to 400 yards. Guys that are better shots than me can reach out to 500-600 yards. I have a 16" bull barrelled upper that I'm pretty sure will be accurate at those distances. I don't have anywhere to shoot that distance. You will loose velocity from 20" to 16". But the 16" will do a good job for you.
Rock River and LMT are both good AR companies. Remember, the great thing about an AR is it's modular. So long as the upper and lower are in spec, they will work together.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
is the LMT upper an MRP? link

options for an MRP include a SS barrel. link

other than that i don't believe that you can get a SS LMT. i may have missed something but i'm 99% sure on this one.

if it's an MRP the upper is worth more than your 1911. i would complete the trade.

if it's not it could be one of the M&A or Model 1 (can't remember which) barrels and an LMT receiver. not worth all that much IMHO.

EDIT: welcome to the site Leather Neck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
hey thanks for the reply guys.  I'm figuring that the ar is worth in the vacinity of 800 minimum and the 1911 is worth that.  well let me rephrase my questions then and I apologize for not being completely clear in what I'm looking for from you all.  I'd like to focus on the ar since I don't have a lot of experience there.

I know many people are doing their own builds and since this was a production RRA prior to him getting an LMT upper, is this a benefit or a negative?  It has a front site post and flat top so I'm under the impression that I can add either a carrier handle with iron rear site aperature or an optical site.  Is this in fact the case?

When it comes to a 16" barrel, what is the maximum effective range realistically?

thanks again.

LMT makes a rear sight that will give you what you're looking for if you end up with a flat top. link

the max range of the 16" depends on the shooter. well, that and the quality of the components used but the shooter is the big part. you should do just fine with a 16" at 5 and 600m. that said what are your main reasons for getting an AR?

if you want the weapon to inflict the most damage at the greatest distance then you will want to stick with a 20". if you want the most accuracy at the greatest distance then you will want to stick with the 20".

if you just want to poke holes in paper or if you want a Home Defense weapon then a 16" is where i would lean. the 16" can be decently accurate at some impressive distances. i have put rounds on target at just over 700 with a 1:9 cl 16" and 62 grain PPU. i didn't measure the group but it was in the 10" neighborhood, i'll say for sure it was under 12". i'm sure that with a better barrel and some match ammo you could tighten up a good group at that distance but i'm not shooting for tiny groups.

with a 16" you can jack a ground hog at 500m

another thing to consider is that we're not limited to FMJ's so better ammo will have better results on flesh targets.

i'm not sure that i really answered the question but there are too many variables.

EDIT: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=454381 thread on shooting 600yds with a carbine
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Do it if you have another 1911 but no AR15. You will not be disappointed in the accuracy of the 16"
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, again I appreciate the feedback.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Also thanks AS for the warm welcome.  

I'm not one to procrastinate so with that I'll say that I just got home from completing the trade.  It is a stainless barrel and it's pretty sweet.  I'm pretty stoked right about now!!

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx55/former_usmc/RRA-LMTAR1.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx55/former_usmc/RRA-LMTAR2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
My next AR will be a standard A2.  I have two flattops, one is a BCM Midlength and the other is a M4gery.  Both have fixed stocks which I like.  The other posts hear pretty much covered everything else.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice rifle.

For your next rifle, may I suggest an AR for shooting Hi–Power Matches?

Warning...............once you go down that route...........you're probably be smiling at the "short comings" of the others (with short barrels).

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nice rifle.

For your next rifle, may I suggest an AR for shooting Hi–Power Matches?

Warning...............once you go down that route...........you're probably be smiling at the "short comings" of the others
(with short barrels).

Aloha, Mark

Mark, what kind of shooting goes on at hi-power matches?  forgive my ignorance!

Also, I forgot to say earlier thanks to shadowcop.  Your post was especially helpful.

Finally and maybe I'm just a moron today (we have a new baby, so the sleep deprivation might be taking effect), but where is the setting to receive an email that I've gotten replies on here?  I've gone to my profile and clicked on every tab but do not see that I have forgotten to check anything.  I'm not receiving emails that I've gotten replies and it's just annoying! lol

Thanks again to you all.  

Joe

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Great looking rifle. I personally only shoot brass  ammo. But many people shoot steel with no problems. Welcome to the forum.  I have learned allot on this site.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#15]
At the top of the page click "Edit Profile" Then click Change Profile when the page comes up. You will see a place that says recieve e-mails. Make sure it's on.
Welcome to the forum
By the way, Nice Rifle.
Dave
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#16]

did you figure out who made the barrel on your new AR?

also the rate of twist will be important in helping you choose the correct ammo/bullet weight.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, shadowcop I tried to PM you but your box is full
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got an email from Kevin, the guy I got the AR from and he forgot to give me the inspection tag that came with the upper.  He said he'd mail it to me.  In the mean time he scanned it and emailed it to me, and then told me that he'd found an LMT lower on gunbroker that had the same inspection tag.  One side is for the upper and the other side is for the lower.  He said shortly he'd be contacting LMT to verify the tag and ask about other identifying characteristics to help us with the upper.  I was CC'd on the email just a short time ago.

I'm sure I'll be getting confirmation either way in a day or two.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

did you figure out who made the barrel on your new AR?

also the rate of twist will be important in helping you choose the correct ammo/bullet weight.

unless I can find another way to determine what I should have, I'll have to assume that the officer was correct in that he got an LMT stainless upper.

It says on top of the barrel just in front of the front site post "5.56 NATO 1/8 SS".

I removed the handguards and saw no markings, didn't see anything on the bolt and don't see anything else anywhere except inside of the front site post part just above the barrel, on the right side it says <B>2.  

Also, shadowcop I tried to PM you but your box is full?

there are LMT upper receivers that are sold/misrepresented as full LMT when in fact they were LMT uppers and "other" barrels. some are neither LMT upper receiver or barrel but are assembled by LMT according to available information. so the receiver could be LMT but i have my doubts that the barrel is. the uppers are speculated to not be made to "exact" LMT spec but to that of the customer requesting the build (no proof just internet rumor).

currently LMT upper receivers are etched on the left side with LMT in white letters.

the LMT SS barrels for the MRP are 1:7 in 5.56.

if the bolt is LMT it should have an "MP" on one side and two date code letters on the other side such as "AK" or similar. bolt thread and pic of LMT bolt

LINK there is a part in this link about LMT and SS barrels.

THIS is a statement from M&A about LMT.

LMT pic thread

i'm not implying that you will have issues with your upper i just want you to know fully what you have. the officer may not completely know, he could have been mislead about what he bought.

just trying to look out for you.

EDIT: hang tag would mean assembled by LMT not necessarily 100% LMT product.

i hope i don't sound like an ass-hole here.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Molon's thread on "precision shootinG" with a 4moa aimpoint.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=453382
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#21]

EDIT 8/7/09: well it's confirmed. I spoke with Ray at LMT yesterday and we went over every part of my upper and he was able to comfirm part by part that it is in fact an LMT upper. Thanks to all who have subscribed and welcomed me to the ARF.com family! I look forward to learning from and becoming friends with you all!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Great looking rifle! enjoy shooting it. I think you said that it came with an eotech or did he keep it? Either way get yourself a good BUIS and get proficent with irons.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to the site Devil Dog! Nice looking rifle you got there. You will find in no time at all that all of your experience with the M16 will benefit you greatly when it comes to AR's! If you need anything don't hesitate at all to ask. Enjoy shooting the hell out of it!

~Zach
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top