BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2009 5:57:02 PM EDT
Ive decided that Im going to save up for an AR-15. Earlier this year i was set on getting a Mini-14, but then realized I wouldnt be able to afford to shoot it(or any other .223) So I had to settle with a Ruger 10/22. But Im tired of rimfire and now I have a job so I should be able to afford the ammunition.

My question is, what is the best AR-15 $1500 can by? Not counting accessories. Im just talking the best base gun.

Some of the brands Im interested in

Ruger
Rock River Arms
Colt
Smith and Wesson

What are your opinions on those brands?

So, by the end of the year when I have the money, what would be my best option?

I will mainly be using it for target/recreational shooting and possible defense if a situation arises.

Thanks,
Coby

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
hopefully not in that order...

This would be my first to last choice out of these 4.

1. Colt
2. S&W
3. Rock River
4. Ruger
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
from that list, Colt hands down, and you can get one for around $1200.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ruger 556 came out recently so I cannot comment on the durability. The above other manufactures are good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
For that amount of cash I would go with a Colt, mags, and ammo.  You know you're getting a quality rifle with everything in it being mil-spec  Bolt carrier is staked, bolt is magnetic particle tested, shot peened, etc.  I'm sure other members will join in shortly and go into greater detail.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
What's a Noveske sell for?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to know what your intended use is.  

While Colt is clearly a great rifle, a Colt 6920 might not be the best rifle for your intended use.  You may enjoy a configuration other than the standard M4 better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1

6920s have dropped to $1100 over the last few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1

out of the 4 you listed, i'd put colt first followed by s&w.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
colt out of whats listed....

out of non listed and listed... DDM4
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
BCM upper 16" or 20".......$475
bcm charging handle......$24
bcm m16 bcg.......$160
doublestar lower.....$99
lpk........$60

Then from there you can go whatever route you want. I went pretty KISS with my BCM rig because it's more utility/plinking purposed.

Or you can just get a base Noveske or Daniel Defense M4.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]
6920 or N4 Light Basic.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Colt LE6920.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like its Colt hands down.

Im so looking forward to getting a .223.

I have a few other questions.

I live near Impact Guns, would you guys recommend I go buy the gun from them?

Also, what .223/5.56 ammunition is the best bang for the buck?

I plan on getting an optis a few months after I get the gun.

I want an Acog more than anything but that costs just as much as the gun so Im trying to decide between Aimpoint, EOTech and Burris? Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like its Colt hands down.

Im so looking forward to getting a .223.

I have a few other questions.

I live near Impact Guns, would you guys recommend I go buy the gun from them?

Also, what .223/5.56 ammunition is the best bang for the buck?

I plan on getting an optis a few months after I get the gun.

I want an Acog more than anything but that costs just as much as the gun so Im trying to decide between Aimpoint, EOTech and Burris? Any recommendations?

Here's my 2 cents
Impact guns prices on Colts are too high
Look for one online that can be transferred to you
Best ammo for your $ is Prvi m193
As for optics Aimpoint T1 micro in a Larue mount.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like the 6920, but I kinda want a midlength rifle.

Is Noveske on par with Colt?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]
one of these:
LaRue stealth 16inch upper $1100
RRA Lower W/CAA Buttstock and RRA   LPK   $270
Hogue Grip $20
Magpul BUIS $100

Grand Total $1490
savings of $10 for a "ferrari of ar's"

oh yea $25 bucks for the front grip

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
6920 or N4 Light Basic.

+1
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1. Colt
2. S&W
3. Rock River
4. Ruger

+1
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Colt.  Noveske if you want to spend some more.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want good value for your money, look into BCM. Quality is on par w/ Colt & they offer midlengths as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Im liking the 6940 and the M&P15T.
Id get that Noveske but its $2k.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Fo' shizzle!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

1. Colt
2. S&W
3. Rock River
4. Ruger

This (from your list).  Myself........ Noveske.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#27]
bcm m16 bcg.......$160
doublestar lower.....$99
lpk........$60

This, but sub a BCM lower for the DS lower and LPK. Also, make the upper a middy and drop an omega 9" rail on it or wait till the DD lite rail package is available. Pick up a couple PMAGs, and some troy BUISs. That's a top of the line AR right there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Bravo Company Middie & Bravo Company Lower

For what you want & wanna spend...it's a good fit

With money left over for a Aimpoint and mount & maybe even a couple of Pmags
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#29]
If you want the best rifle for $1500 (not including mags/accessories/ammo) then my choice would be Noveske hands down.

In stock here for $1495 and $1525

Carbine:
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-lcb-556&cat=47&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Recce:
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-lrb-556&cat=47&page=1&search=&since=&status=

If you don't want to spend that much then I would go with Colt, BCM, LMT, DD, Sabre, or S&W
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#30]
From my research, it seems the Colt is good quality for the price.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
bcm m16 bcg.......$160
doublestar lower.....$99
lpk........$60

This, but sub a BCM lower for the DS lower and LPK. Also, make the upper a middy and drop an omega 9" rail on it or wait till the DD lite rail package is available. Pick up a couple PMAGs, and some troy BUISs. That's a top of the line AR right there.

So that would be a good rifle? Why is it so much cheaper to build your own?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#32]
dude you can't go wrong w/ BCM.  Get:

Middie upper  $475
BCG/CH  $160
Lower  $350

Before shipping/FFL, thats under a grand for a very good rifle.  Use the rest for goodies and ammo.

LMT is another option for you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
dude you can't go wrong w/ BCM.  Get:

Middie upper  $475
BCG/CH  $160
Lower  $350

Before shipping/FFL, thats under a grand for a very good rifle.  Use the rest for goodies and ammo.

LMT is another option for you.

This.  Use saved money on optics.

One thing this thread proved is there is an abundance of people out there that don't know squat about the new Ruger.  Love how people that have never touched something are experts on it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I really like the 6920, but I kinda want a midlength rifle.

Is Noveske on par with Colt?

i would probably go w/ one of the bcm ss middies w/ the dd rail, then pick up a bcm lower and also bcg and ch.  you should be g2g w/ that and a middie too.  i would say bcm is on par w/ colt, noveske, lmt - definiely tier 1

in fact i have an extra bcg that may push me into this exact build

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#36]

No, its either the Colt 6940, the Noveske Recce, or the BCM.

Ill probably do the BCM if its going to be cheaper and still a good gun. I have everything picked out but the striped lower. Should I go DoubleStar or are there any other good options?

Thanks so much for the help guys. I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ill probably do the BCM if its going to be cheaper and still a good gun. I have everything picked out but the striped lower. Should I go DoubleStar or are there any other good options?

All three of those are extremely good decisions and you can't go wrong with any of them. If you go with BCM I would buy one of their lowers from Denny's.

I bought one about a month ago and the quality is great. If you want a stripped lower, pretty much everything is good except Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne. Just pick

the rollmark you like the best

http://global-tactical.com/bravocompanymfgcompletelowerreceiver.aspx

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All three of those are extremely good decisions and you can't go wrong with any of them. If you go with BCM I would buy one of their lowers from Denny's.

I bought one about a month ago and the quality is great. If you want a stripped lower, pretty much everything is good except Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne. Just pick

Cool. Ill get that BCM complete lower. I have OCD and it would drive me crazy having different manufacturers parts on my gun.

So pretty much all I need for the rifle is:

BCM complete upper.
BCM complete lower.
BCM charging handle.
BCM BCG.

Is that about right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. Ill get that BCM complete lower. I have OCD and it would drive me crazy having different manufacturers parts on my gun.

So pretty much all I need for the rifle is:

BCM complete upper.
BCM complete lower.
BCM charging handle.
BCM BCG.

Is that about right?

Yep, that's all you need. I'm usually the same way unless it's a special lower like KAC or Magpul. If you get all BCM you'll have one of the best guns money can buy. Even Pat Rogers (one of the

most respected people in the industry) has recently stated that:

"I also have three Bravo Company Mid Length guns, the oldest of which has 19,620 rounds down range. I believe that BCM makes the best service grade guns on the market."
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#40]
You will need a rear sight to go on that BCM upper
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You will need a rear sight to go on that BCM upper

+ a couple magazines and ammo
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#42]
LARUE
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

one of these:

Hogue Grip $20

Magpul BUIS $100

Grand Total $1490

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/chadwick76/DSC_1714.jpg
+1, why get a run of the mill rifle when you can do this?  When I bought my first rifle, if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have done nearly exactly what is suggested above (I would go with a MIAD grip and CTR stock though... probably a $70-80 adder over what's abovve).

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
LARUE

+1
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

one of these:

Hogue Grip $20

Magpul BUIS $100

Grand Total $1490

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/chadwick76/DSC_1714.jpg

How much does this rifle weigh empty? With a full 30rd mag?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#47]
from a guy who buys cheap but good quality items (frugal
), i have 1 tier 1 firearm, the rest are frankenguns.  personally i would get a miad grip - very comfortable and a better than tapco/even bcm stock, like a ctr or moe - from what i have asked here lately, it appears that the moe may be a bit loose compared to the ctrs, so that may be an issue for you.

if possible i would ask whoever is putting out the bcm lowers to at least do a moe stock or if you want to pay the extra $$ go the ctr and have them change the grip.  this is where you building your own lower can be nice and not having to possibly pay more to change stuff out if the distributor won't change the items.  unfortunately i don't think bcm is putting out stripped lowers, but i could be wrong.

fwiw, i do personally have a double star lower and it works very well and all mags work nicely - pmags, usgi & cproducts.

these 2 small upgrades make a nice difference, imho easily worth the $$ - better stock and a nice grip.  it really makes that much of a difference imho.  also, do a bit of forward thinking - for me all my ars have ff quad rails because i need a very sturdy moung for a vfg due to shoulder issues, so think about things like that and order once w/ what you really want.

for sites, the magpul mbus are nice for the money.

in the mean time i would sign up for the bcm email alert and watch their industry area for a bcg, figure what upper you are going to go w/, etc, but get a bcg - the uppers are starting to show up more and more, the last thing you want is a complete rifle sans bcg.

and you do save a bit buying a seperate lower and upper - there is some tax on complete firearms, not so on seperate uppers and lower setups.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
from a guy who buys cheap but good quality items (frugal ), i have 1 tier 1 firearm, the rest are frankenguns.  personally i would get a miad grip - very comfortable and a better than tapco/even bcm stock, like a ctr or moe - from what i have asked here lately, it appears that the moe may be a bit loose compared to the ctrs, so that may be an issue for you.

if possible i would ask whoever is putting out the bcm lowers to at least do a moe stock or if you want to pay the extra $$ go the ctr and have them change the grip.  this is where you building your own lower can be nice and not having to possibly pay more to change stuff out if the distributor won't change the items.  unfortunately i don't think bcm is putting out stripped lowers, but i could be wrong.

fwiw, i do personally have a double star lower and it works very well and all mags work nicely - pmags, usgi & cproducts.

these 2 small upgrades make a nice difference, imho easily worth the $$ - better stock and a nice grip.  it really makes that much of a difference imho.  also, do a bit of forward thinking - for me all my ars have ff quad rails because i need a very sturdy moung for a vfg due to shoulder issues, so think about things like that and order once w/ what you really want.

in the mean time i would sign up for the bcm email alert and watch their industry area for a bcg, figure what upper you are going to go w/, etc, but get a bcg - the uppers are starting to show up more and more, the last thing you want is a complete rifle sans bcg.

and you do save a bit buying a seperate lower and upper - there is some tax on complete firearms, not so on seperate uppers and lower setups.

Awesome. Im not 100% sure, but I think I may build a complete BCM gun:

BCM complete upper.
BCM complete lower.
BCM charging handle.
BCM BCG.
BCM rear sight.
3x Magpul PMAGs
1000x Wolf .223.

That should be just about it. I cant wait!

Thanks for the helps guys.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from a guy who buys cheap but good quality items (frugal
), i have 1 tier 1 firearm, the rest are frankenguns.  personally i would get a miad grip - very comfortable and a better than tapco/even bcm stock, like a ctr or moe - from what i have asked here lately, it appears that the moe may be a bit loose compared to the ctrs, so that may be an issue for you.

Awesome. Im not 100% sure, but I think I may build a complete BCM gun:

BCM complete upper.

BCM complete lower.

BCM charging handle.

BCM BCG.

BCM rear sight.

3x Magpul PMAGs

1000x Wolf .223.

That should be just about it. I cant wait!

Thanks for the helps guys.

i think you will be happy.  and the nice thing about bcm, is if there is an issue, they have about the best customer service one could ask for.  the chances are very small that there will be an issue, but sometimes things happen and it is nice to know that the company will take care of any issues and bend over backward to make the customer happy.  keep us updated

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I might be able to get it sooner than anticipated. My bro just got another year of GI Bill so he might buy it for us.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top