Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2009 12:16:47 AM EDT
I've damn near had it...I don't know if I can wait for another 10 months for LMT, I want a piston gun, I've heard nothing but great things with the Sig 556, yeah it's heavier, but You tell me what you think....Pro's, Con's. Feel free to talk me out of it, I want something that is reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Sig 556 Commando as well the LMT MRP. Both are easy to clean and are excellent guns. If you have to wait 10 months, get the Sig 556. You won't be disappointed. Mine has been 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Love my MRP.  With a Spike's .22LR kit I can swap out barrels and use cheap ammo with my regular optics and rail kit.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 5:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
\\\\ONES A REAL GUN MADE BY A COMPANY THAT FILLS MILITARY CONTRACTS!! ANOTHER IS A COPY OF A MILITARY GUN THAT THE MANUFACTURER CANT MAKE UP THEIR MIND HOW SERIOUS THEY WANT TO TAKE IT!!!///
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I own both.

The LMT, period, no contest, case closed.

SIG's QC absolutely sucks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#5]
LMT
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've damn near had it...I don't know if I can wait for another 10 months for LMT, I want a piston gun, I've heard nothing but great things with the Sig 556, yeah it's heavier, but You tell me what you think....Pro's, Con's. Feel free to talk me out of it, I want something that is reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain.

I have a  Old SIG handgun
and its awesome!!!

I have LMT`S and they are GTG

I dont like PISTON AR15`S

But thats ME

If I hade to buy a PISTON AR15 it would be LMT

reason??

My past experience with LMT customers servicve and good parts /weapons

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you looked at LWRC at all?  IMHO they are right there with LMT as far as pistons go, and not more than a month of waiting even if you order something on the rare side.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, you could buy a new upper in the EE right now and get the other parts you need for the complete rifle or there are a couple on GB. No need to wait for LMT.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have several SiG pistols and the quality is great.

My local gun shop had a Colt 6721 that I almost bought but it was sold to a guy that had two 556 lemons and the gun shop took the 556 back to ship to SiG and he took the Colt.

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Does the LMT stock fold?

The Sig can be SBR'd and fold to an incredible length (short) and be very effective.

The LMT is legendary in reliability BUT my Sigs have proven to be flawless...Am I just lucky?
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you looked at LWRC at all?  IMHO they are right there with LMT as far as pistons go, and not more than a month of waiting even if you order something on the rare side.

+1

I havent shot one

but would be worth looking into

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The LMT stock doesn't fold, just collapses like a regular AR.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The ergonomics of the Sig blow.  The gun is overly heavy.  I saw an unbelievable amount of malfunctions in the only 556 being run at the last carbine course I took.  Could chalk it up to cheap shit ammo but I was running even cheaper shit and didn't have those problems.  Overall I was less than impressed with the Sig 556.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a SIG SWAT 556 and a POF/Bushmaster piston AR. Both are nice and yes the SIG is front heavy. The SIG is a bit more accurate and very well built.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have two MRPs and love them.
With the MRP your can shoot 5.56 gas or piston, 6.8, 204 Ruger and soon 7.2x39 just change the barrel and bolt. You can go from 10in 12in 14in or 16in barrel.  

How much of that can you do with the Sig556 upper… just one 5.56 piston

The LMT MRP also comes in different gas systems, 10.5 - 14.5 inch barrel uses a carbine length system,  16in  and up you have a mid length gas system.

But hey the Sig556 stock folds
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I do not have any experience with the Sig, but I do own 2 LWRC's and I have a factory 12" LMT piston waiting on a stamp currently. I honestly would say that these 2 brands are on the same playing field as far as quality and function (i shot a MRP, that's why i had to get one). Another reason I got the LMT was strictly due to the barrel change and DI/piston swap option. LWRC has a forum and there site sponsors give killer deals. I priced a few locally and elsewhere but, no else could touch their pricing and availability...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]
LMT
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
LMT hands down.....not only is it piston but its modular.....you can go back and forth from piston to DI......swap out lengths of barrels, and shoot different calibers

sig......none of those
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Go with the LMT.  From what I recall the Sig 556 is built by Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
\\\\ONES A REAL GUN MADE BY A COMPANY THAT FILLS MILITARY CONTRACTS!! ANOTHER IS A COPY OF A MILITARY GUN THAT THE MANUFACTURER CANT MAKE UP THEIR MIND HOW SERIOUS THEY WANT TO TAKE IT!!!///

This pretty much sums it up even though it's lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#21]
LMT any day

The sig is good and reliable but it heavier, and IMO the egromomics suck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Lewis Machine & Tool!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lol...I guess I could be wrong but I think that's a load of crap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I have what they designate now as the Sig 556ER upgraded with SWAT rails.  It's a fantastic rifle.  Accurate for its intended purpose and eats every band of ammo.  have a a little over 1K rounds and still is flawless.  Yes, it is front heavy compared to a Carbine length AR with plastic guards.  But, not so bad when compared to a mid length with aluminum rails.

Check out sigarms556.com and ask the guys there.  You'll get opinions from folks who have had there rifles for a while.  This past year, there have been some QC issues so be careful which serial numbers you buy. I wanted a piston rifle that was designed that way.  I'm still not quite sold on the AR piston coversion.  The Sig 556 as some stated is a copy of the 551.  And, maintenance, what maintenance?

And, if you really want to wait, see if the SCAR will be cheaper in 10 months.  By the way, I also believe there is nothing wrong with DI Stoner system.  I own Stag carbine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
The LMT would offer more options... As already stated it would be easy to change calibers and the monolithic rail makes putting optics where you want them simple.

Sig seems to be having some QC issues and I personally have a problem with their decision to send cheap chicom crap optics with their guns.  It shows poor management decisions.  I've handled and shot a couple of Sig's offering and although they function fine I've seen canted rails on enough to make me wonder if their QC people are cross eyed or drinking on the job.

I know how bad it sucks waiting on a rifle (I waited 3 months for my MRP) but I'm glad I did...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I haven't seen one of the LWRC pistons yet but I'd recomend looking at them as well from what I've read about them.

As far as the sig vs lmt I'd go with LMT. I've shot both and think the LMT would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But I'd still stay w/ LMT, BCM or Colt.

JMO

eta: Sorry, I left out LaRue. Sorry Mark, please forgive me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's a new one.......
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#29]
My 556 Commando has been 110% reliable thru about 500 rounds with a variety of ammo and mags.  The commando is the way to go for better balance and lighter weight.  With that said, I am going to sell it because I am building some new ARs and have 2 XCRs.  I am staying AR and XCR for compatability/parts reasons plus I just need to thin down the herd a little

IM me if you are interested in a very lightly used Commando
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a new one.......

Minted it himself..
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ergonomics of the Sig blow.  The gun is overly heavy.  I saw an unbelievable amount of malfunctions in the only 556 being run at the last carbine course I took.  Could chalk it up to cheap shit ammo but I was running even cheaper shit and didn't have those problems.  Overall I was less than impressed with the Sig 556.
+1

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Okay so Ive seen the 12 inch barrled mrp piston guns but where can I get one of these 10.5 inch mrp piston guns.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry but the Sig is a front haevy PIG! Not to mention the incompatiblity to all things AR-15! You can get a badass LWRC on gunbroker for only $1800 shipped. With TROY BUIS, and a sick stock. Here's the link: LWRCi M6A2 - $1800 SHIPPED!!! Wise'n Up!

PS LMT MRP are just as sick but the wait time is crazy and the gas setup is OK. Buy the LWRC so when you get it and shoot it you'll want to buy me dinner....    LMAO    

Sorry but I love "whoring" this PIC!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w124/jaeice420/LWRC/PerfectBalance.jpg
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#34]
The sig is just too heavy for a .233. Its not a very practical gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#35]
SIGh....barrel heavy, tiresome, doesn't dance well, cheesey plastic, don't think my local shop would work on it (if needed)...factory, please. Hobby Lobby electronics. Piston is nicest feature. I'd buy one NIB, 1/2 price and love it.
LMT. Feels and shoots like victory...the Mr. Potato Head of AR's. Flawless in my eye. 14 month+ backlog...a sad reality. Keep searching.
Even came with a military double stapled 4"x5" 128 page heavy paper "OPERATOR'S MANUAL W / COMPONENTS LIST,  June, 2003".
Nostalgically wierd.  40 years of tradition unhampered by progress.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top