Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2009 8:44:59 AM EDT
How is the Daniel Defense Omega rail considered Free floating when it attaches to the rifle exactly like a standard set of handguards???? the attachment points are the same!! Am i missing something?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Because it is free floating.  Have you ever handled an Omega Rail?  A normal HG is supported at the front by the HG retainer by the FSB, and at the rear by the delta ring.  The Omega is entirely supported at the rear, like all FF rails.  However, the Omega doesn't require the delta to be cut off.  But it is supported the same way.  That is what the allen key screws are for...
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. It does not attach to the handguard cap behind the FSB. Therefore, it is free floating.
As you can see here, it does not touch the cap.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The omega simply fits over the barrel nut and set screws apply pressure onto it.  The front doesn't touch the handguard cap making it free floating.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, its a good rail. The only point of contact is the barrel nut. I had one on one of my rifles. Cranked on the sling mounted to the rail, pushed the rail against a barrier when shooting - did not shift the point of impact. Same gun with the Colt side sling adapter mounted to the barrel - and I could move the point of impact several inches at 100 yards. Omega is GTG.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]
ok, thats what I missed, I thought it interfaced with the handguard cap. Thanks guys!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top