Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:14:03 PM EDT
It was my understanding that this combination is not ideal, but it would work.  However, I did a function test on my build today and everything ran ok.  I had two jams, both hit the edge of the upper head on and fucked up the crimping on the round.  Both happened with Remington UMC Cproducts SS magazines and I couldn't try it out with any others.

Does this mean the magazine is sitting too low in the receiver? If it had standard FRs I would assume it'd do the same thing.

What is a good file size for making the ramps on the receiver?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Dremel, but I'd be scared to do it myself.

Perhaps try some different ammo and put some rounds thru it first and the problem may go away.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done it with a dremel.  However, I have had formal armorer training and a good number of years experience.

Work  S L O W L Y  and cut just a little at a time, then polish your "homemade" M4 feed ramps to finish.

OR... you can buy an upper with M4 ramps, then sell the other or use it on another build.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a chainsaw file.
Take it easy, the aluminum comes off quickly.
Finish it with a smooth round file.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Weren't there some QC issues with CProducts SS magazines?

I'd try a known-good USGI mag before I'd attack my rifle with a file.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Weren't there some QC issues with CProducts SS magazines?

I'd try a known-good USGI mag before I'd attack my rifle with a file.

this

i had the same EXACT problem with an aluminum CProducts mag... the rounds were catching on the front of the mag and that extra drag was causing the round to nosedive into the upper... the mag body wasn't welded evenly, i filed the front of it down where the small lip was catching the rounds and it ran 100%... i pulled the spring and follower and trashed the mag body.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same type setup (Colt M4 bbl and standard upper) and have never had a problem with GI mags, both full auto and semi.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
ADCO does it cheap, just send the upper, no FFL needed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top