Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2009 11:23:49 AM EDT
New to the AR boards, though I've been bumming around the pistol threads for a while now.

Anyhow, I'm sitting on two completed RRA lowers and I'd love to do a build, but I'm too antsy to wait around. So, I'm looking at completed uppers now and a buddy of mine tells me that he had a hard enough time mounting RRA uppers to RRA lowers, let alone mixing and matching. He tells me that I ought to at least look for the same brand of upper that matches my lower because of this. Well, you all know the problem in this area: RRA orders are backed up out the yin-yang and I couldn't find anyone with an RRA upper in stock this century. I did, however, find some complete DPMS uppers for sale and they have the 16" M4 profile that I want for one of these lowers. So my question to the experienced masses on arfcom: Does it really matter if my upper matches my lower as long as a get one of decent quality?

If I don't pull the trigger on this DPMS upper in time, then I'll be looking at LMT, RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster, or similar quality uppers. Does anyone know where these could be obtained in a timely fashion without having to borrow against my house?

Thanks, all!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
New to the AR boards, though I've been bumming around the pistol threads for a while now.

Anyhow, I'm sitting on two completed RRA lowers and I'd love to do a build, but I'm too antsy to wait around. So, I'm looking at completed uppers now and a buddy of mine tells me that he had a hard enough time mounting RRA uppers to RRA lowers, let alone mixing and matching. He tells me that I ought to at least look for the same brand of upper that matches my lower because of this. Well, you all know the problem in this area: RRA orders are backed up out the yin-yang and I couldn't find anyone with an RRA upper in stock this century. I did, however, find some complete DPMS uppers for sale and they have the 16" M4 profile that I want for one of these lowers. So my question to the experienced masses on arfcom: Does it really matter if my upper matches my lower as long as a get one of decent quality?

If I don't pull the trigger on this DPMS upper in time, then I'll be looking at LMT, RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster, or similar quality uppers. Does anyone know where these could be obtained in a timely fashion without having to borrow against my house?

Thanks, all!

Any of those brands up there are GTG.

BCM has 16" M4 uppers in stock
LMT 16" M4 Upper @ BravoCo
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had no problem running LMT and Colt uppers on my Rock River lowers.

Bottom carbine LMT on RRA lower:

Both carbines have Colt uppers on RRA lowers:

Trunk gun RRA upper on RRA lower:
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If I did decide to go with an LMT from Bravo, any suggestions on where to get the bolt carrier group and charging handle?
I've only been looking at fully completed upper assemblies and haven't the first clue where to obtain these parts, but the LMT seems ideal since I'd be putting an aftermarket railed handguard on anyhow.

Thanks for all the input so far ... keep it coming!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I did decide to go with an LMT from Bravo, any suggestions on where to get the bolt carrier group and charging handle?
I've only been looking at fully completed upper assemblies and haven't the first clue where to obtain these parts, but the LMT seems ideal since I'd be putting an aftermarket railed handguard on anyhow.

Thanks for all the input so far ... keep it coming!

Have you been checking EE for BCG and a charging handle? Thats a good start.

GTS looks like they have some super Duty BCG's instock.
Denny's/GTS Bolt carriers

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Del-Ton is another great choice for an upper but they're more backed up than... well something that's really backed up.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the LMT upper, they're good2go...
I wouldn't go with DPMS or RRA... you can easily do better for not much more.
Don't count CMMG out.
Bushmaster is OK... It'll do fine.

Don't listen to your buddy... If an upper doesn't snap onto a lower, something is out of spec, and you should be asking for some warranty work.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't go with DPMS or RRA... you can easily do better for not much more.

Care to share how you came to that conclusion? I love my RRA, one of the best shooter out of the bunch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Have you been checking EE for BCG and a charging handle? Thats a good start.

GTS looks like they have some super Duty BCG's instock.
Denny's/GTS Bolt carriers

I'm not sure how I feel about the new style EE, but I'll pop it into the old format and tool around there ... if I can line up everything I need, I think I'll get one of those LMTs ASAP. Thanks, SmokeyJ.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top