Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:48:07 AM EDT
Got a friend who's about to get his first AR, but he wants it in 6.8spc. Am I right in that you use a standard AR lower, but with different magazines? Or am I tottaly screwed up on this?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#1]
You are correct just install upper and use correct magazines and you are GTG.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
only difference is magazine, barrel, and bolt carrier group.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think only the bolt is different, not the entire carrier. I`m probably wrong but I thought I`d through it out there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think only the bolt is different, not the entire carrier. I`m probably wrong but I thought I`d through it out there.

Bolt only.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got a friend who's about to get his first AR, but he wants it in 6.8spc. Am I right in that you use a standard AR lower, but with different magazines? Or am I tottaly screwed up on this?

These members have you on the right track. The only thing I would add is there are some 6.8 barrel configurations that are much better than others. Read up on the 6.8 some and you'll see that for the best performance you want:

SPC II (aka SAAMI II) chamber, or DMR chamber - These 6.8 chambers really lower pressure significantly over the restrictive older SAAMI chamber. That translates to increased velocities at safe pressure levels with some of the higher performance factory ammunition out there like SSA's famous Tactical Loads. Lower pressures are also much easier on your bolt.

1:11 or 1:12 barrel twist tends to work better with the 6.8 than the 1:10. You definitely do not want "9.5" twist. That is overkill and can lead to over pressure as well.
1:10 with a SPC II chamber works okay, and is the "minimum" required for SSA's Tactical Loads, however the industry is moving to the slower twists and you have plenty of solid choices available in the preferred specs. AR15Performance, Bison Armory, Noveske, Stag, RRA, Armalite (their new upcoming SPC II, 1:11 barrels), White Oak Armament, JTAC Supply's new WOA/Shilen 6.8 barrel, Denny's GTS, POF, Addax Tactical are some good examples of 6.8 uppers and barrels.  

There's a KISS chart posted on 68forums.com that goes over the 6.8 barrels of the major manufacturers. Feel free to visit the forum.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top