Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:14:20 PM EDT
I often read complaints about poor upper / lower fit but have never seen such a condition.  Can you post pictures of what you consider poor fit?

How off of of a fit would you still consider OK and not contact the manufacturer for satisfaction?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
This was my old build.  It was a SP1 upper and a NDS XM16E1 lower.  The rifle functioned perfectly and I never had any issues at all with.  The fit never bothered me.  But it is an example of what poor fit looks like, so here you go.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I often read complaints about poor upper / lower fit but have never seen such a condition.  Can you post pictures of what you consider poor fit?

How off of of a fit would you still consider OK and not contact the manufacturer for satisfaction?

.. Only on AR-15.COM... Can someone post how NOT to get brass marks on my upper next..... (no offence to the op)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.. Only on AR-15.COM... Can someone post how NOT to get brass marks on my upper next..... (no offence to the op)

Why would brass be coming out of the rifle?
AR 15s belong in the safe.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This was my old build.  It was a SP1 upper and a NDS XM16E1 lower.  The rifle functioned perfectly and I never had any issues at all with.  The fit never bothered me.  But it is an example of what poor fit looks like, so here you go.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/borg103/DSC_0040.jpg

That gap is caused by the adaptor bushing (large Pin Colt Upper) in the upper being timed incorrectly. They do that unless they are staked or pinned.

Your right is wont damage the gun, but it can lead to failure to feed, and failure to lock the BHO.

You may have known that but its just a tip.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I welded another brass defector on top of my brass deflector to protect my brass defector from brass hitting the brass defector.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Wait....I thought it was decided that the proper accessory for the brass deflector was the strip of .mil grade velcro???   Crap.  Anybody got a link to where I can buy a sacrifical brass deflector?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wait....I thought it was decided that the proper accessory for the brass deflector was the strip of .mil grade velcro???   Crap.  Anybody got a link to where I can buy a sacrifical brass deflector?

I know it's more fun to call everyone a bunch-o-tards, but I think the velcro trick is used to protect the brass by people who reload.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone please do the X-zibit picture with the
"yo dude, we heard you like brass deflectors so we put a brass deflector on yo brass deflector so no mo brass hits yo brass deflector"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I welded another brass defector on top of my brass deflector to protect my brass defector from brass hitting the brass defector.

What if I really, really like the second brass deflector, and don't want it to get brass marks?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What if I really, really like the second brass deflector, and don't want it to get brass marks?

Then that's when you would put a Velcro on the second brass deflector which is currently protecting the original brass deflector, thus the Velcro protecting the second brass deflector will inhibit the first brass deflector from getting brass on the brass deflector.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
WTF is this, GD?  The guy asked for pics of what could be considered a poor upper/lower fit, and you fucktards are talking about brass deflectors?  It's a legitimate question - a lot of people bitch about play between the upper and lower, but it's a subjective thing, so the OP was asking for pics of what poor fit looks like.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Lemme guess, used to buy them for $24.95, now since it fits the AR, it went up to $98.95, but since prices are falling, you can get one now for $44.95.

That's a steal. Roll with it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Back on topic-
OP, you are not going to be able to visually see the looseness in any photos unless it is REALLY REALLY bad, or unless someone takes a pic from the perfect angle with a good light source in the back so you can see the light coming through between the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
WTF is this, GD?  The guy asked for pics of what could be considered a poor upper/lower fit, and you fucktards are talking about brass deflectors?  It's a legitimate question - a lot of people bitch about play between the upper and lower, but it's a subjective thing, so the OP was asking for pics of what poor fit looks like.

Thats what I was wondering and even went back to see if I had missed something in the OP's question.  Good thing he didn't ask about brass marks on his brass deflector

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#19]
No, certain people can do that BS. Just be a friend to a moderator. Hell I got a nasty IM from Forest when I put a 87 for how many Mags you should buy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/borg103/DSC_0040.jpg

That gap is caused by the adaptor bushing (large Pin Colt Upper) in the upper being timed incorrectly. They do that unless they are staked or pinned.

Your right is wont damage the gun, but it can lead to failure to feed, and failure to lock the BHO.

You may have known that but its just a tip.

Yeah, I did.  But it's good to say anyway.  I decided early on that I likely wasn't going to continue to use the upper, so I didn't want to modify it in case whomever I sold it to wanted to use it on an big-pin Colt lower or on a SP1 rebuild.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#21]
God you would think this is congress the way questions are side stepped and on to a topic change around here
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Embrace the LULZ!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And only are ARFCOM do we have a thread turn into people complaining about other people complaining about stupid shit.

This is a technical forum and a bunch of posts making fun of other posts is just as stupid, annoying and pointless as the original post\thread that prompts them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You read my mind.....I guess the maturity level around here is pretty much rock bottom. I too was looking for pictures, instead all you get is 10 posts of BS that has nothing to do with his legitimate question.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back on topic-
OP, you are not going to be able to visually see the looseness in any photos unless it is REALLY REALLY bad, or unless someone takes a pic from the perfect angle with a good light source in the back so you can see the light coming through between the upper and lower.

It looks to me like the only post on topic that contains a picture shows it pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Useless. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I too would like to see some pics.  Not sure how brass deflectors became the toilet humor for the children here as the OP never mentioned brass deflectors and asked a very legitimate question.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top