Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2009 3:19:23 PM EDT
what is better besides  the name  that makes a colt 6920  better than a mp15?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W just because...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
tagging along.  I believe I've narrowed it down to a 6920 or a M&P15T for my first AR
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How much for each at the store you will be purchasing them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
o no.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
COLT....not a contest
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Colts have come down so far in price, it makes sense to pick one up.
Get it now while it costs close to everything else.  It won't lose much value, ever, unless you trash it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you also considered the Daniel Defense M4?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, based on that chart I'd pick the Noveske.  However, cost was a factor for me so I picked the S&W.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you also considered the Daniel Defense M4?

If the visual design of the rail doesn't bother you, it's the best thing going at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, for the link.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Smith and Wesson

I have had a AR in my hand almost every weekend since I was about 12 years old and through the years I have owned, handled, and fired about every brand of AR out there and built several for myself and friends.  I feel that a Colt is like a John Deere tractor, you pay for 50% gun and 50% for the name, so I PERSONALY do not care much for Colt AR's or the Colt company in general,  They are no better IMO that a good Stag or S&W but yet are several hundred dollars more for nothing but there pretty little roll stamp

I have right now in my safe 2 S&W ARs "1-VTAC and 1-15T" and I personaly have fell in love with these things, the fit and finish is superb and QC is unmatched.  Another thing that plays a roll in MY purchcase is the fact that Colt have in the past had the HK attitude of if your a Civilian then you dont matter "piss on you", Smith & Wesson on the other hand has always been a company with a strong relationship with the civilian market and have great customer service.

You pick the one that you like the best.  after all it is your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

I have had a AR in my hand almost every weekend since I was about 12 years old and through the years I have owned, handled, and fired about every brand of AR out there and built several for myself and friends.  I feel that a Colt is like a John Deere tractor, you pay for 50% gun and 50% for the name, so I PERSONALY do not care much for Colt AR's or the Colt company in general,  They are no better IMO that a good Stag or S&W but yet are several hundred dollars more for nothing but there pretty little roll stamp

I have right now in my safe 2 S&W ARs "1-VTAC and 1-15T" and I personaly have fell in love with these things, the fit and finish is superb and QC is unmatched.  Another thing that plays a roll in MY purchcase is the fact that Colt have in the past had the HK attitude of if your a Civilian then you dont matter "piss on you", Smith & Wesson on the other hand has always been a company with a strong relationship with the civilian market and have great customer service.

Then obviously you don't know as much as you think about AR-15s.

Barrel steel, HP test barrel, MPI test barrel, correct buffer, correct bolt carrier, barrel twist rate are all different. So, it's a little more than a roll mark.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

oh ?   I remeber a certain company in the 90s that was more than willing to  sign on with the clintons to stop handgun crime etc etc before being resold to american owners.    you better  check your  S&W history a little more closely.

and that few  hundred more. goes to testing and inspection of parts.   103 point test/inspection on the lower receiver alone.   and 103 point on the BCG.    SHow me where S&W does all that
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

Barrel steel, HP test barrel, MPI test barrel, correct buffer, correct bolt carrier, barrel twist rate are all different. So, it's a little more than a roll mark.

Where have any of those features contributed to failures in the S&W?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

thanks. I dont feel like correcting that  ignorance anymore.   you take it tonight
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

Where have any of those features contributed to failures in the S&W?

so you say they are a waste of time?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
No I'm just saying you guys make it seem that the rifle wont work with out those things.

Edit

If Pat Rogers says the rifle is good to go I will trust that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No I'm just saying you guys make it seem that the rifle wont work with out those things.

I said it is the reason the Colt costs more, now if those things are not worthwhile to you then spend your money on whatever you want but don't try to defend that "just paying for a rollmark" bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

oh ?   I remeber a certain company in the 90s that was more than willing to  sign on with the clintons to stop handgun crime etc etc before being resold to american owners.    you better  check your  S&W history a little more closely.

and that few  hundred more. goes to testing and inspection of parts.   103 point test/inspection on the lower receiver alone.   and 103 point on the BCG.    SHow me where S&W does all that

Shit I didn't even read the last part, bashing Colt over politics and praising S&W is definitely going full retard.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said it is the reason the Colt costs more, now if those things are not worthwhile to you then spend your money on whatever you want but don't try to defend that "just paying for a rollmark" bullshit.

Sorry I was just trying to go beyond the BS chart love.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

Like I said IMO

You like what you like, I like what I like... I have won to may 3-gun matches to count with my home brew SBR built with Double Star parts.  No FTF or FTE that was not related to cheep wolf ammo and I just cant justify the price jump for such minimal benifit. I mearly voiced my opinion and do not intend to get in a pissing contest over which is better.

ETA:

What is your Definition of correct, you make it sound like all the other manufacturers are wrong,  I seem to recall that the parent company of stag arms used to supply a very subtatial amount of the Military's parts for AR's. ,  and if that was the case the a LMT piston rifle would not be "correct" even though it is a proven desighn.

thanks. I dont feel like correcting that  ignorance anymore.   you take it tonight

please forgive me for not drinking the Colt cool-aid and having the same opinion as you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Forget the Colt or the S&W.

Get a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand this type of thinking. "The chart" merely represents the minimum acceptable standards of the TDP and which manufacturers meet it. Colt is the only manufacturer to meet all the points. I'm not sure why the animosity towards "the chart," facts are facts no matter how emotionally attached to your S&W you may be.

ETA - I'm so boggled by the animosity I have to add this. I like Ford pickups, especially the '78-79 body style. I like Fords as a whole, and if you made a chart that showed which companies produced a car that would fucking blow up and catch fire when rear-ended I would have to accept the "X" underneath Ford because of the Pinto. Why the rest of you cannot just accept facts and leave your emotions out of a chart of FACTS is simply amazing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand this type of thinking. "The chart" merely represents the minimum acceptable standards of the TDP and which manufacturers meet it. Colt is the only manufacturer to meet all the points. I'm not sure why the animosity towards "the chart," facts are facts no matter how emotionally attached to your S&W you may be.

I did not come here to bash Colt, maybe you should calm down a little.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ETA - I'm so boggled by the animosity I have to add this. I like Ford pickups, especially the '78-79 body style. I like Fords as a whole, and if you made a chart that showed which companies produced a car that would fucking blow up and catch fire when rear-ended I would have to accept the "X" underneath Ford because of the Pinto. Why the rest of you cannot just accept facts and leave your emotions out of a chart of FACTS is simply amazing.

Damn dude you only been in this thread for a little over 2hrs

If your going to get all fucking pissed off go somewhere else and blister someone else and trash someone elses thread for not liking the EXACT same thing YOU do, fucking dick....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe its because every one pulls out the chart to bash each others rifles.  A rifle does not need all those X's to be an adequate reliable rifle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

Ugh, S&W has changed ownership since the Clinton years as you said so what do those owners have to do with the way the company is being run now?
Edit
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Ugh, S&W has changed ownership since the Clinton years.

+1

thank you
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe its because every one pulls out the chart to bash each others rifles. A rifle does not need all those X's to be an adequate reliable rifle.

I have to agree. My Noveske runs damn good and has never had any malfunctions of any kind..........but neither did my DPMS or my RRA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I luv my S&W M&P15A. I haven't had 1 problem out of it so far. One main reason I like it was that I bought it used and got a LOT of extras for $825. Had I been in the market for one now and the S&W was still $1000+ and Colts were back at $1299 I would get the Colt.

Go for the Golden Pony if you can avoid paying delusional over-inflated crooked dealer pricing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I own an S&W , I love it. Well built, reliable, accurate.

Colt, well built, reliable, accurate. Same can be said for Noveske, Les Baer etc.. etc...

For all those that love to say "It's Mil-Spec!!!!", the Beretta M9 is Mil-Spec. I don't see too many people swearing it is the best combat handgun in the world because it's mil-spec.

However, a Mil-Spec, as issued to the military M-16 rifle can expect to have tens of thousands of rounds through it and needs these tests to ensure safety and reliabilty.

The VAST majority of civilian users will never approach the number of rounds or that military rifle can expect to see during it's service life.

If you want to spend the extra money for, more power too you, I have NO problem with it. But that does NOT mean it is a "BETTER" rifle.

Almost EVERYTHING in the Military is Mil-Spec, from floor wax and garbage cans up to the B-2 bomber.

Used to was, EVERYTHING was mil-spec until COTS (commercial off the shelf) and open purchase were authorized. Floor mops, wax, floor stripper, everything was mil-spec and much of it was crap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

Be careful Bro, no company has a longer and richer history of pissing down the backs of the American firearm owner than Colt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1

thank you

So has Colt.

The S&W is a gret gun.  I will not deny that.  But the Colt is better.  It is built with better parts and is more thoroughly tested.  Does this make a difference to everyone?  No.  But just because someone shoots some 3 gun matches with whatever brand doesn't mean that thier gun is better than Colt and, and to be frank, know what thy are talking about.  Obviously anyone who thinks the only difference between a Colt and a Stag is a rollmark is talking out there ass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson

Be careful Bro, no company has a longer and richer history of pissing down the backs of the American firearm owner than Colt.

Take your bullshit elsewhere - this is a tech forum and you have nothing of technical value to add obviously.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

thank you

So has Colt.

The S&W is a gret gun.  I will not deny that.  But the Colt is better.  It is built with better parts and is more thoroughly tested.  Does this make a difference to everyone?  No.  But just because someone shoots some 3 gun matches with whatever brand doesn't mean that thier gun is better than Colt and, and to be frank, know what thy are talking about.  Obviously anyone who thinks the only difference between a Colt and a Stag is a rollmark is talking out there ass.

I thought Zilka bought them in the Clinton years.  Did it change ownership since then?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For all those that love to say "It's Mil-Spec!!!!", the Beretta M9 is Mil-Spec. I don't see too many people swearing it is the best combat handgun in the world because it's mil-spec.

Because it's not.  But comparing the M9 to other handguns is like comparing the Colt AR15 to a M1A.  It's not the same thing.  If a hundred companies all made M9 clones, I'd go with the Beretta version.  See what I am saying here?  We are comparingdifferent brands of the same gun not different guns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

thank you

So has Colt.

I thought Zilka bought them in the Clinton years.  Did it change ownership since then?

Changed management.  Lt General William Keyes is te CEO now and another ret. USMC general is the COO.  I could care less about the owners at this point as they stay hands off.  The management is what matters and they have done wonders with Colt.  Most here who spew anti Colt bullshit have no clue what they are talking about and just regurgitate the same internet rumors over and over.  Those who have dealt with Colt and Colt CS know the truth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#40]
But... you said it changed ownership.

I care more about the owner of the company, as they can easily fire the management....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#41]
S&W was my choice last month .But that was then and this is now and now is my Daly D-M4LED .

With any luck in a few months my favorite will be a Colt 6940 .

I do like the chart everyone always refers to but i believe it leave out a few colums .Like Cost ,Accesories , Fit and finish Since these are all top notch Rifles I comes down to value for you $$$$

As far as resale goes I have never taken a loss on any AR I have ever bought and sold .
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn dude you only been in this thread for a little over 2hrs

If your going to get all fucking pissed off go somewhere else and blister someone else and trash someone elses thread for not liking the EXACT same thing YOU do, fucking dick....

A little spreadsheet with Xs got you all worked up huh.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

thank you

So has Colt.

Changed management.  Lt General William Keyes is te CEO now and another ret. USMC general is the COO.  I could care less about the owners at this point as they stay hands off.  The management is what matters and they have done wonders with Colt.  Most here who spew anti Colt bullshit have no clue what they are talking about and just regurgitate the same internet rumors over and over.  Those who have dealt with Colt and Colt CS know the truth.

****Quote taken from CTBuilder1 below******

***Take your bullshit elsewhere - this is a tech forum and you have nothing of technical value to add obviously*****....Advice you gave fellow ARFCOM member in above post.

I wish you would abid by your own rules.

John

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#44]
It is hard to understand why we have one of these every week. It is clear that no one is going to change their minds. It is also clear that many good rifles are out there that are way above just good. So why can't we just be happy?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It is hard to understand why we have one of these every week. It is clear that no one is going to change their minds. It is also clear that many good rifles are out there that are way above just good. So why can't we just be happy?

+1
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+1

We got these because a newbie asks an easy question, someone delivers the easy answer and somebody else gets butthurt easily.  

Differences that make a Colt "better;"  FA BCG, mil-spec barrel steel, 1:7 twist, double handguard shields, H buffer.  Not everyone will be able to appreciate these extra features, so YMMV, spend your dollars where they will count but there is more to be had with a Colt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Don't you remember that Tuesday is Colt vs " insert brand " day
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did forget. Carry on guys.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I did forget. Carry on guys.

But its Wednesday now for half the country.

Whats today's argument going to be over now?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#50]
ok, so you all like different guns, but at least you all like guns.
stop throwing shit at each other and hate on someone else, like a liberal or something, not a fellow freedom loving man
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top