Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:56:52 AM EDT
I'm doing my first build and I'm having some trouble deciding on what kind of muzzle brake/flash hider I want.  I'm looking for something to keep the muzzle flip down and increase accuracy.  I don't have any NV so flash isn't as big of an issue for me.  

Any opinions are welcome, please give an explanation as to why you like a certain muzzle brake.

This is for a 5.56 carbine.

Thanks to all those who can help!!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#1]
you aren't going to gain any accuracy.  If you just want a flash hider, the Vortex is good. http://www.smithenterprise.com/products06.html

If you want a compensator and flash hider in one, the PWS FSC556.  http://www.primaryweapons.com/STORE/PC/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=9

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone else here posted a link to a great article testing some popular 223 compensators: Compensator Article
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks I'll read that article and see what I can get out it.  A buddy of mine swears by his Y Comp from Bushmaster.  So I was considering that or something like it.  I'm still open to some opinions from others.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Smith Vortex FTW
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want something that works pretty effectively as both a flash suppressor and a brake, take a look at the PWS FSC556.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Surefire one as well. They sell them at Larue
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks I'll read that article and see what I can get out it.  A buddy of mine swears by his Y Comp from Bushmaster.  So I was considering that or something like it.  I'm still open to some opinions from others.

While it is said to work well as a comp, it is loud and does not hide flash. I have only shot one carbine with one but personally don't like the looks of it.

I have a FSC556 one my 14.5" because it both hides flash, works well as a comp, and is classified as a comp by the BATFE so I still have a NJ legal gun.

For a great flash hider, though, you can't go wrong with a Vortex
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want something that does both jobs pretty well, get the FSC556.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw the PWS but wasn't sure how well it worked.  Now I've got so many supporters I guess I'll have to give it a second look.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently got the PWS DNTC. It does a great job at muzzle rise, but horrible at flash suppression. In broad daylight, the flash turns the image through my ACOG orange. I could only imagine what that'd be like at night. It's also pretty loud, but not too bad as long as you keep in tight to the weapon. I hear the PWS FSC556 does just as well, but kills more of the flash.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The BM Y-comp is a great way to annoy everyone around you and to clear your range of any other shooters.

It's LOUD.

The last time someone showed up at my range with an AR sporting a Y-comp, I offered to let the guy shoot one of my rifles instead of irritating everyone on the line.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BM Y-comp is a great way to annoy everyone around you and to clear your range of any other shooters.

It's LOUD.

The last time someone showed up at my range with an AR sporting a Y-comp, I offered to let the guy shoot one of my rifles instead of irritating everyone on the line.

LOL, ok so I'm getting a feeling everyone feels the Y Comp is too loud (which by the way is a factor, I like to hunt with my AR's) and the PWS FSC556 is so far the favorite.  Thanks to everyone so far this is great info.  Please keep it coming.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the fsc556 and I love it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the PWS 5.56 on all my AR's and love them
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]

I just ordered a PWS FSC556 myself.  

That's my $.02

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I have two PWS FSC 556's so far with another order going in.    One on a rifle and the other on a pistol.   Everyone that has shot mine is getting one as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my FSC's...  About to order another one as well...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If you expect to do any shooting in lowlight get a flash suppressor

Vortex
AAC Blackout
Phantom

the vast majority of people will never shoot in lowlight though.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]

the VLTOR VC-1 is my favorite at the moment. it has about as much flash suppression as the birdcage and from what i can tell keeps the muzzle down a bit better. http://www.vltor.com/flash-hiders-gallery.html#p2

i have a Vortex on my go to gun and i am very happy with it too.

SCREW the Y-comp!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got my PWS FSC556 and can only compare it to the A2 but i love it. Quicker follow up shots, and i don't notice an increase in noise. So i got what i was looking for.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Vortex for flash hider, Miculek for compensator. Thats what I'm running and I love em..
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a  Miculek comp. that I got off a friend that sold his rifle and was looking for some feedback on how good it is and if it's much loader than an A2?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Whats wrong with the A2 setup? Ive never used anything else, so I have no idea what (or if..) better is? Am I missing out on something better? If so, looks like Ill be updating my list!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm using FSC's on all of my builds and love 'em.  They are slightly louder than an A2 hider, but far better than most other comps.  Of course, the FSC is the closest thing to a flash hider that we're allowed in NY.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Vortex
AAC Blackout
Phantom

Listen to this guy. He knows what he is talking about.

Big +1 for the Vortex.  Vortex + NVG's +  M276 I.R. tracers pushed by low flash powder =  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vortex
AAC Blackout
Phantom

Listen to this guy. He knows what he is talking about.

Big +1 for the Vortex.  Vortex + NVG's +  M276 I.R. tracers pushed by low flash powder =  

Thanks to everyone so far.  I was looking more for a muzzle brake though not necessarily a flash hider since I don't really use my AR's in low light situations.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top