Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 4:52:11 PM EDT
I am a licensed gun dealer and I am a small dealer.  I only sell about 50-200 guns per year and have sold about a dozen different Bushmasters and have had them build specific guns (optional triggers and the such).  I had a customer request a price on the Perimeter Security Rifle, which sparked my personal interest in the firearm.  If you take the time talk to the Custom Shop, you will find this to be an interesting product and they can offer some reasonable explanations as to the reasons behind the price tag.  I was set to order one of these to demo and utilize on the range (I am also a Range Instructor at a SD).  The only request I had (and many of my customers request) is an ambi-safety (though I wanted to ask a Nargon mag catch too).

Now bear in mind the firearm lists for $3,500.00.  The sales person advised very politely he would have to get back with me and he did in a reasonable length of time.  He politely explained to me how I could get the part from most sources and could be installed by most anyone that could tear down an AR (which of course we all now to be true and I have installed them before...but not the point).  After politely providing me with this information, he advised the Custom Shop did not have a direct source from any of their suppliers and apologized for this inconvenience.  I was busy on the range and I was not willing to begin debating the issue with someone I was seeking to purchase a firearm with such a high (in my opinion) MSRP.    After working range, I remember one thing the salesperson had advised PRIOR to the call back about the safety.

The sales person had advised the upper and lower were machine matched and in fact (pretty neat fact), were match serial numbered.  When I got home, I had to check....yep...Bushmaster still sells the ambi-safety for $36.95.  Now it is only fair to point out I have never previously dealt with the "Custom Shop" as it is today.  I have called main Bushmaster phone number and been forwarded to the "armorers" and have had them build a semi-target grade CQB gun from a STAG ARMS LH Upper prior to Stag Arms offering such a gun (which by the way was built incredibly).  When I did this, it was a simple joy talking with "backroom."  It was "whatever you want if it is legal, we will build it."  MUCH different that what I had happen today and very disappointing.

This may very well be the Custom Shop policy and I find it unfortunate, as I was very interested in testing their product.  I would also like to point out I have had no problems or complaints with any product they produce that I have sold.  This was my VERY first disappointment and has pretty much jaded my view on promoting their products after many years of trying to do my best to sell what has been a good product.  I still believe they build a good or even great product, but it used to come with a GREAT "backroom."  Hopefully, someone will read this that matters and maybe...just maybe...bring the "backroom" back.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to post this in the Bushy industry forum...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the recommendation.  I did not know this option existed (showing my age and lack of computer savy).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top