Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 1:03:32 PM EDT
For those that shoot left handed, is blow back a problem for you?  How many opted for the Gas Buster charging handle?
I'm in the process of my first build and I'm already in over $2,300 (all parts for build and accesories i.e mags, red dot) and trying to figure out if I want to spend money on a Gas Buster charging handle or not.
Poll inbound.  Please only lefty's vote.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I just deal with it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly never noticed....and I like pie
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Only noticable if youre running suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never had an issue with it on my 16" carbine/mid-length rifles.  I recently bought a 14.5" upper and I've heard the shorter barrel makes it more pronounced, so we'll see.  OTOH, if you're already into your build $2G+ you might as well dump another $90 into a steel charging handle.  There's a bit more to that charging handle than just the gas buster advantage.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't it actually divert more gas toward a lefty?  It's set up to vent away from rightys...right?

At any rate, I just use standard.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't notice it unless i'm shooting with a silencer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a stag problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The wait for a Stag was too long for me, bit the bullet and got a standard upper (Sabre Defence), never had any problems. Shot a few others as well, all different types of uppers (DPMS, etc.), still never had a problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I just deal with it, I am used to it now so it does not bother me much.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not usually enter into much conversation in these forums, but this one I could not resist.  I have been down this road before and I am going to tell you my findings.  I am left-handed, I am a LE Range Instructor and I used to shoot quite a bit until the ammunition cost prohibited it.  My past experience is not up to MANY individuals on this website and more than some.

I have been shooting righthanded AR's for 20 years prior to Stag Arms coming out with their new gun.  I wanted more than they originally offered, so I purchased the upper and bolt assembly and shipped it to Bushmaster to have them build it (I have owned a gunshop since 1989, but have never taken the time to build my own gun...go figure).  I was able to have their 2-stage trigger, and every other bell and whistle possible installed and then it came home to me.

I was COMPLETELY pleased with the firearm and the work done by Bushmaster.  I found some of the bells/whistles to be nice.  Specifically the Bushmaster 2-stage safety, ambi-safety and the nargon magazine release. The gun functioned flawlessly and it grouped very well.

Now for what I didn't like and it is very simple.  I didn't like not having the ejection port on my dominate side.  I learned it was much quicker to view a failure to feed with the ejection port in front of me without rolling the gun.  I would also like to say, being left-handed and left-eye dominate in a right-handed world is not fun in general, but we are getting the best of the bargain with the AR.  If you start working malfunction drills, you will see what I mean.  Malfunction drills need to be muscle memory and you shouldn't have to look every time, but when you do need to look...it is nice to see so quickly with VERY limited movement.

Maybe you will find the Lefthanded version to be exactly what you want.  I am merely giving you my findings.  What works for one, may not work for another.

With that said, I just ordered a new Wilson UT15 and sent it back.  The upper to lower fit was as bad as one of my well used Colts.  Sent it back without shooting it.  I was VERY displeased it was shipped with an ACCU-Wedge new from the factory.  In my opinion, $2,000.00 + guns should not be shipped with an accu-wedge to make up for a loose fit.  Not that it won't function, just that it was disappointing.

I am considering a new LMT, Bushmaster Custom Shop PRS or a Knight's Armament SR-15 IWS E3.  I have had all the standard issue stuff and want to see what all the hype is on the "Top Shelf" guns (if there is any remains to be seen).  Might regret it when it is over, but as my Daddy always said, "We shall see what we shall see."  I hope I am extra happy with whatever I purchase, as I am just like everyone else...trying to figure out how to buy the next ball glove for the kid and not make them eat mac and cheese EVERY single night!  LOL!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Never notice it...+1 for pie.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Bigger problem for me is with the spent brass flying across my view. For what you are paying for your gun get the better handle and be done with it.

I picked up a stag 6.8 left handed gun a year or so ago and have been very happy with it. That being said my other AR's are standard. I make do with them but prefer the left handed upper. Was thinking of replacing some of the right edject uppers but with the ar scare I haven't even tried.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Been dealing with right handed shit all my live, I'm not going to worrying about it now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#14]
pair of shooting/safety glasses, and not completely douching the bcg in clp or whatever works just fine for me.  left eye, right eye, whats the difference?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Been dealing with right handed shit all my live, I'm not going to worrying about it now.

Lefty guns have a couple of problems:

1- You can only resell it to another lefty.

2 - I you plan on leaving it to your kids and they're not lefty...... see #1

3 - +1 for pie.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I am actually right handed.  I write with my right hand, I shoot pistols right handed, but I am left eye dominate.  I have never been able to shoot a rifle right handed.  My dad used to try and force me to, but it never worked.  I have always, always shot rifles/shotguns left handed and I'm a damn good shot too.

I went with a STAG H3 right handed upper, I should have went with the left handed, but didn't.  I'm not going to worry about it now.  When I finally get my gun together and shoot some, I'll make the decision then weather its a big deal or not.  I did bench shoot a friends Colt a couple years back and I don't remember any gas or brass in my face.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't have any problems.

I currently shoot a Bushmaster M4.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I would definitely recommend an ACLM ambi charging handle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Never had a problem.
Save your money.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I went with a Stag LH upper and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I've never had a problem either. I have a 14.5 and have noticed no blowback whatsoever. A lot of lefties don't care for the gas buster, because like someone else said they tend to make the situation worse for us.

I also don't see how people are bothered by brass flying in front of their faces, I don't notice at all.

I do wish that ARs came standard with ambi-safeties and mag releases, etc, but I haven't added any of that to my AR (except the ambi-safety that my LMT lower came with).
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Personally I think the above posters who say blowback doesn't affect them are either don't shoot that often or are actually right handed shooters. Blowback is something you can either live with or get a gas buster. I always use eye protection and have the gas buster. I also have converted over to a piston system which makes blowback a lot less noticiable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Personally I think the above posters who say blowback doesn't affect them are either don't shoot that often or are actually right handed shooters. Blowback is something you can either live with or get a gas buster. I always use eye protection and have the gas buster. I also have converted over to a piston system which makes blowback a lot less noticiable.

It is something you learn to live with. As I said for me the brass flying across my view is more of an issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Lefty here.

I voted pie as I just deal with it and move on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been shooting an AR on the left side for 20+ years with no problems. Well, my SP1 slaps the hell of my face with hot brass but that's my only AR that has any lefty issues.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I have only been shooting standard ar15's for years and have never had a problem with gas blowback.  Now when I put on a can, that is a very different story.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top