Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:15:42 PM EDT
Recently I've been to a couple of range events at my church that somewhat inadvertently saw my AR-15 as the star of the show.  People were lining up to take turns shooting it, which I had no problems with since most of them had never seen an AR before (yes it was supervised), but after running a number of mags it got so hot that I was worried it might cause damage so I gave it a break every 5-7 magazines.  

This was not full auto or even very rapid fire, but I realized that I had no idea how how hot an AR can get before damage can occur, or how many rounds I should shoot between breaks.  What say you, Arfcom?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
"This was not full auto or even very rapid fire"

Not a problem.
Your AR should handle 30 - 60 rounds per minute sustained.
It gets hot though!  Just be glad it's not an AK.  You'd need gloves.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
no worries  your doing fine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Recently I've been to a couple of range events at my church

What church is this? Mine does golf/soft ball tournaments..

Somewhere there is something that says that the AR can sustain a rate of fire of X rounds per minute (1 shot every Y seconds), indefinitely. I think it was like 15-20 seconds or something. Don't quote me on that, cause I might be way off base.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The manual to my RRA states 12-15 rounds per minute - again this is pure manual statement. - FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You didn't hurt it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The manual to my RRA states 12-15 rounds per minute - again this is pure manual statement. - FWIW.

really? so then I guess a 'mad minute' is out....

most i've heard of is three beta c magazines back to back in full auto...melts the gas tube before anything bad can happen.

Think about in Iraq or Afghanistan, Soldiers return fire, their weapon is out of commission for firing more than 15rds a minute? Who thought that number up...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

really? so then I guess a 'mad minute' is out....

most i've heard of is three beta c magazines back to back in full auto...melts the gas tube before anything bad can happen.

Think about in Iraq or Afghanistan, Soldiers return fire, their weapon is out of commission for firing more than 15rds a minute? Who thought that number up...

Lawyers would be my bet as to who thought that number up
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The damage done is in reference to the barrel itself, as someone mentioned there's a TM somewhere stating just how many rnds per minute can be fired in a sustained and rapid engagement. For a service length A2 it's generally 1 rnd every 4 seconds (15 rpm) for prolonged fires.

Did your barrel turn red hot? If no, you're fine.

Can you detect barrel warp and/or a permanent POI? If no, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of lube were you using and was it burning off?

Seriously though, I wanna go to that Church.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What kind of lube were you using and was it burning off?

Seriously though, I wanna go to that Church.

So bump firing is a bad idea?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Give it a break every 5-7 magazines?

Please tell me the church helped pay for the ammo.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies all, I guess all I have to worry about is burning my hands on the barrel (again ).  I must agree with all of you that a church having its own range is a great thing; there are quite a few gun enthusiasts in the church and we go out there periodically to have all-church range days and such.  We have a blast and is a great way to meet new people and fellowship with other gun folks, although naturally that's not the church's main focus
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies all, I guess all I have to worry about is burning my hands on the barrel (again ).  I must agree with all of you that a church having its own range is a great thing; there are quite a few gun enthusiasts in the church and we go out there periodically to have all-church range days and such.  We have a blast and is a great way to meet new people and fellowship with other gun folks, although naturally that's not the church's main focus

I am so jealous...this takes "spirit filled" to a whole new level.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw a guy on youtube put a 1000rds through one as fast as he could, threw it in the pond after 5-600rds, shook the water out of it, kept going, said it wasn't good for the barrel() but was showing how reliable they were.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea, wasn't that a Bushmaster M4ergy?

Quoted:

I saw a guy on youtube put a 1000rds through one as fast as he could, threw it in the pond after 5-600rds, shook the water out of it, kept going, said it wasn't good for the barrel(
) but was showing how reliable they were.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
As others have said you are fine. Gun shouldn't have a problem putting down that many rounds.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yea, wasn't that a Bushmaster M4ergy?
Quoted:
I saw a guy on youtube put a 1000rds through one as fast as he could, threw it in the pond after 5-600rds, shook the water out of it, kept going, said it wasn't good for the barrel() but was showing how reliable they were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5CQOvdYW6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L5ZXU9mr9g

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep.  That was the chicken wing guy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#19]
When you get your barrel to look like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAwrmOapb4

You are done.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:37:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I've done 10 mags worth on 3 round burst as fast as I could (at night) with an standard issue M16. Never had a problem during or after, but the barrel was glowing red to the point where I could use it as a flashlight.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top