Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:48:45 PM EDT
One look at this rifle and I knew I wanted it.  Rainier Arms posted this custom factory rifle on their site (thanks Jeep!) after the original buyer backed out at Noveske.  There were a couple of alterations needed to make it NY complaint and John at Rainier was extremely helpful in working with me before we sealed the deal.  Today, this beauty was finally ready to come home.

The barrel is a 16" SPR 6.8mm stainless with a 1 in 12" twist and MOD 1 Chamber - reputed to be among the best in 6.8SPC.  The upper sports a 10" Vltor VIS monolithic rail with Noveske marked Troy folding BUIS.  The barrel and VIS were two of the main reasons I bought the rifle...they're a match made in AR heaven.  Seeing a perfectly staked BCG was no surprise at all.

The lower bears an "E" serial number and looks pristine.  With "blems" being sold in the market, I really wasn't sure what to expect when this rifle finally arrived.  One thing I did expect to see, but didn't, was the caliber marking for 6.8.  A quick call to Sherry at Noveske eased my concern as she indicated that some of the lowers will bear the cailber marking and some won't.  She also helped me to order some of the Pri 10 round mags (stupid NY AWB ).  

The EMOD buttstock is a great addition and really balances out the rifle well.  My local FFL pinned it for me and John from Rainier provided me with the FSC30 to replace the AAC SPR flash hider that was on the original build.  My FFL outsourced the muzzle pin job and herein lies the one thorn in this beauty: the guy who pinned the FSC30 did a terrible job (photo below).  My local guy was good enough not to charge me for this abortion, though I'm eager to hear from anyone here with suggestions on how to fix it (otherwise I'll just buy a new FSC30 and have a professional do it right).

For optics, a NF 1-4x or 2.5-10 x 32mm are on my short list.  Any other suggestions are appreciated.  The expected usage would run from 100-300 yards mostly, so I'm going with a magnified optic.  

Weather permitting, I'll get to the range tomorrow and see how she shoots.  Once I get the optic mounted and order some quality ammo from SSA, we'll see what this rifle is really capable of...stay tuned.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Great rifle.

ACOG...its the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice,  Nice shirt too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
For the fsc, I think you could mask off the surrounding areas and spray a coat of paint on just the section where the pin is.  Nice rifle by the way, Im in NY too and having to pin a full length barrel is ridiculous. Is it possible to replace the follower in a normal 30rd mag with a 6.8 follower?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats! That's a great looking rifle! Let us know how it shoots and a NF is a great choice for optics.  I have an EMOD on my Noveske Recce too. I think it balances the

rifle out really well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice, the thing about buying a gift for yourself is you get something you really want.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice rifle.

I did almost the same thing and built myself a rifle for my birthday a few days ago.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a great looking rifle. And you always have to give the guys at Rainier Arms a thumbs up a great bunch of guys.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet B-day present brother  I'm going back n forth between the new Novekse design and the DMR chamber.  I have 2 of the SPII and they are great.  If you don't reload....better start

110gr TSX is deadly on deer and hogs.  Haven't tried the new 85gr TSX.  Currently working w. the 110gr Accubond.  You're going to love the Noveske especially in 6.8

Go for the extra magnification as the accuracy should be there.  I use 2 LaRue SPR mounts one with low mag and the other with a 3.5x15x50 NSX and simply swap them out as needed.  WOW, add it all up and ur saving the economy
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#11]
i just picked up a 16" Basic Recce.  (I have the post "So Happy. Finally got my Noveske")  I took out my Bushmaster A2 and scrutinized both guns and I was disappointed to find that the finish of the upper and lower and fit of the upper and lower are better on my Bushmaster.

How does your rifle look?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Super sweet rifle. Really nice buy. Something about Noveske.

Shit, I got to stop coming here...................
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweet B-day present brother  I'm going back n forth between the new Novekse design and the DMR chamber.  I have 2 of the SPII and they are great.  If you don't reload....better start

110gr TSX is deadly on deer and hogs.  Haven't tried the new 85gr TSX.  Currently working w. the 110gr Accubond.  You're going to love the Noveske especially in 6.8

Go for the extra magnification as the accuracy should be there.  I use 2 LaRue SPR mounts one with low mag and the other with a 3.5x15x50 NSX and simply swap them out as needed.  WOW, add it all up and ur saving the economy

I'm leaning towards the 2.5-10x32mm NF with the idea that 10 round mags won't allow for much CQB success.  I have other AR's to fill that role.  You're absolutely right about getting on the horn with SSA though...that's on Monday's "To Do" list.

Sal, the finish looks great.  The upper and lower fit like a glove providing a solid lockup...no "play" at all.  

Noveske makes a nice stick!

Massive understatement!!  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Hope it shoots well for ya!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice looking stick. Even if its cut down.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Wheres that shirt from? Nice gun btw
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Send it to the place everyone on here sends their rifles to get their barrels cut down to get the flash hider fixed.

Nice rifle by the way
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#20]
very nice
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#21]
double
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Schweet!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One of the best looking AWB compliant carbines I've seen.

Thanks Stick...that's some high praise coming from you.

Did you get a chance to handle it while it was at your shop?  I should've asked you to snap a pic before it shipped out...your camera-foo is much stronger than mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Nice rifle.  But its so sad when BS state laws like NY's neuter beautiful rifles like these.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]
to bad you are banned-stated -
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top