Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2009 12:11:32 PM EDT
I've been doing my press checks by removing the mag to see that the round is stacked on the other side because when I try to use the charging handle to do the press check, I can't get the bolt to move backwards to see the brass.  I'm pulling the charging handle with my left hand only and holding only the left side of the charging handle.  As I write this, I realized that I never thought to do it the traditional way of 2 fingers on either side of the handle.  Anyway, is this common for it to be so hard to pull back?  i've been able to do it using the orange dummy rounds.  

It's a relatively new AR15.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
To answer your question, I just checked mine with a fully loaded 30 rnder in place with no problem at all with one finger on the left side of the charging handle. I will add that the proper and safe way to check is to remove mag, lock bolt to rear and fully inspect chamber.I blew a hole in my ceiling half assed checking the chamber of a 12 gauge pump action in the manner you describe.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Almost sounds like the round is sticking. Is the chamber clean? Can you eject the round OK or do you always shoot the rifle to clear it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Almost sounds like the round is sticking. Is the chamber clean? Can you eject the round OK or do you always shoot the rifle to clear it?

Yes, chamber is clean.  I haven't manually ejected a round - just shoot the mag dry to clear it.

if it matters, ammo is Fiocchi .223 55gr. - no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
How many rounds have you put through the rifle?

Ive always had difficulty press checking in this manner with new rifles.

It becomes considerably easier as the action spring and chamber/bolt wear just slightly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It becomes considerably easier as the action spring and chamber/bolt wear just slightly.

That's probably it....  it's only got about 50 rds thru it.

Cleaned/lubed the bolt/carrier last night and tried the press check an empty case.  feels like the bolt is tight still.  It's still difficult to get the bolt to move and sometimes it just releases and ejects the case.  I've been able to get teh bolt back slightly, but not that easily.

Might have to use the mag press check until the bolt loosens up a little.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a question.  Why are you doing this anyhow?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have always just dropped the mag and checked to see the rounds have changed sides in the mag. Then know one is in the chamber.  Round on the left should be on the top now if you are loading mags with 30 or 28.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have a question. Why are you doing this anyhow?

Do you shoot any matches?

Kinda sux when you hear the buzzer go off and your first shot is a click.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Sure I shoot lots of matches.  When I load my rifle or pistol, I don't need to look to know if it worked.  The sound alone is quite different if a round isn't stripped out of the mag.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Then you haven't shot enough matches... It'll happen sooner or later...

Adding a press-check is a good safeguard
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty funny.  I'll keep  shooting matches though.  I've seen plenty of people who check, I was asking the OP why he was doing it.  He even said he was using dummy rounds.  That makes me wonder why he's doing it at all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
He was using dummy rounds to simulate an actual press check.

There is a tactile difference in feel between going through the motions of press checking and actually press checking with something in the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I'll quit derailing.  If it's difficult to draw the bolt to the rear with a round in the chamber, something isn't right.  Make sure the bolt carrier assembly is properly lubricated, and clean the chamber.  It may loosen up some with a couple hundred rounds fired also.

What ammo was it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
/snip

if it matters, ammo is Fiocchi .223 55gr. - no malfunctions.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been doing my press checks by removing the mag to see that the round is stacked on the other side because when I try to use the charging handle to do the press check, I can't get the bolt to move backwards to see the brass.  I'm pulling the charging handle with my left hand only and holding only the left side of the charging handle.  As I write this, I realized that I never thought to do it the traditional way of 2 fingers on either side of the handle.  Anyway, is this common for it to be so hard to pull back?  i've been able to do it using the orange dummy rounds.  

It's a relatively new AR15.

It shouldn't be hard to pull the CH back with a round in the chamber.  Have you tried any other brands of ammo?  It could be the Fiocchi brass is a little out of spec.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's probably it....  it's only got about 50 rds thru it.

Cleaned/lubed the bolt/carrier last night and tried the press check an empty case.  feels like the bolt is tight still.  It's still difficult to get the bolt to move and sometimes it just releases and ejects the case.  I've been able to get teh bolt back slightly, but not that easily.

Might have to use the mag press check until the bolt loosens up a little.

^^^the rifle has not "smoothed out" yeat. You just need to shoot more.
And buy pulling on one side of the CH it is basically binding in the upper, not bad but when its new it creates alot of resistance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#18]
If the OP is only pulling on the left side of the charging handle, that can be causing enough drag from torquing the CH to make openintg the bolt on a new gun difficult.

Hold the front hand guard with your left hand, pull the chargining handle with both fingers on the charging handle, and tilt the gun to observe if a round is loaded. I pull on my Badger Tactical Latch only with my left hand but mu M4 has over 3000 rounds through it and the action in lubed with Remington Dry Lube.

Lubing and shooting will loosen up the bolt for smoother operation.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, all.

Definitely have to get MORE rounds thru it!  

I'm new to shooting the AR platform so these 50rds were "get to know you" range visits - confirming zero, etc...

My local range is only 25yds though.  I need to find  shooting exercises for the AR to make my rang visits more productive.

Doing press checks comes from shooting my pistols and that is how I was taught  - verify a round in the chamber before performing range exercises (I practice dot drills).

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the further info.  What about with an empty chamber, is it easier to draw the bolt back?  If so, I'd make doubly sure the chamber is clean.  How does your fired brass look?  Is it scratched up much?  Make sure you aren't pulling sideways on the CH, as it will drag more.  Lube the BCG.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the further info.  What about with an empty chamber, is it easier to draw the bolt back?  If so, I'd make doubly sure the chamber is clean.  How does your fired brass look?  Is it scratched up much?  Make sure you aren't pulling sideways on the CH, as it will drag more.  Lube the BCG.

Easy to draw back the CH with an empty chamber. I cleaned/lubed it, but won't be able to take it this weekend (shooting my first match GSSF ).  Fired brass looks pretty normal - no major scrapes of anything like that.

Maybe I took off enough lube in the chamber area when doing dry fire with dummy rounds and the plastic rounds took off enough lube to cause the brass to stick.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Give the chamber a good scrubbing, and try it again.  You shouldn't have lube in the chamber though.  Enjoy the GSSF match, my first pistol match was a GSSF match in '95.  Be safe and have fun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top