Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2009 1:12:09 PM EDT
I've been building this rifle from the ground up, so I don't have a front sight to remove or anything. At the moment it's a stripped barrel, with everything behind the barrel assembled.

I just got my LaRue rail in the mail (and it's AWESOME), but I don't have my gas block yet (YHM low profile, set-screw type). It's a carbine barrel.

My question is, can I go ahead and install the rail now, and put the lo-pro gas block on after (without having to remove the rail), or should I just wait for the gas block, install it, and then put the rail on after?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I would wait til the gas block shows up. If the rail covers it you will have to install the block first.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I just "installed" it, but just finger tight (no tools) to see what it will look like and to hold everything together so I don't lose anything. I am satisfied now (the build itch has subsided), and I will just wait for the block to arrive before I do things more permanent.

Looks great too, I am very happy with the rail. I was wary to spend that much on it at first, but now that I have it I'm glad I did (and all the LaRue extras are nice too.... except my head is too big for the hat ).
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
PICS?
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a head's up, but I'm pretty sure the YHM lo-pro block is going to be too big to allow the LaRue rail to slide on over it.  The LaRue rails have a very small opening at the back of them and you may have a problem.  Will the gas block be exposed in front of the rail, or will it be under it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to put my handguard on but dont tighten the handguard nut.  Then I turned the handguard to a position where I could install the gas block.  Then I straightened the handguard and screwed the handguard nut on.  I couldnt fit the gas block through the opening in the back but could in the front.  Just did the install yesterday.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/pufferdude/Bushmaster%20AR15/012.jpg
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a heads up.  I had a hell of a time tightening the barrel nut on my LaRue rail, my barrel wrench didn't fit the holes correctly. I think I'm going to make a special wrench like the one shown in the thread here on how to install a LaRue rail.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone tell me what length rail that is??? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me what length rail that is??? Thanks!

9in I believe.

Link
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea is the 9.0
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top